TFTP won't talk to some Hikvision cameras

Reaction score
Hi, I bought multiple Hikvision DS-2CD2x32 cameras (about a year plus ago) on Amazon from a seller called Hikvision. My cameras do not have "CH" in their serial numbers. (However, as far as I know, they still could be Chinese/gray-market. Amazon seems legit to me, but I'm hardly an expert on the supply chain of security cameras.)

One camera went bad recently. While debugging, I thought, "Hey, its been a while, so why not upgrade the firmware?" Now I have multiple bricked cameras. (BTW, please don't attack me for this. I'm quite technically literate and I would expect that upgrading old firmware/software is generally a good thing. I'm learning that security cameras are the exception....but alas, learning too late. Hence this post.)

The cameras have stickers that say the firmware should be v5.2.8 build 141231. I updated to something newer (from Hikvision's website), and now the cameras show up in the SADP tool as type "DS-2CD-Min-System" and firmware "v4.0.8 build 140610". In other words, they are "bricked" as has happened to many other folks.

BTW, none of the cameras have reset buttons. Not external, and not internal, and I've checked very thoroughly.

The oft-repeated solution is to use TFTP to repalce the firmware. I have the TFTP tool and followed the instructions to the letter: set a laptop to 192.0.0.128, turned off firewall, ran tool first and re-powered cameras second, etc..

However, only one of the cameras was found by the tool. For the rest, TFTP never gets past the first line (TFTP server [192.0.0.128] initialized) in the window. This is my problem and I'm hoping someone has advice. (Otherwise, I have some nice cameras for sale if someone else is convinced they can fix them.)

I've scoured the internet and various security cam forums. Seems like everyone claims that, ultimately, the TFTP tool works for them.

Does anyone know of a next course of action for when it does not?

BTW, a little more information, in case it helps:

(1) The cameras went back to their default password (admin/12345)

(2) On all the bricked cameras, the IP address and gateway are stuck (at my old settings of 192.168.2.XXX and 192.168.2.2).SADP lets me change them, but they go right back to 192.168.2.XXX after a power cycle

(3) When running TFTP from a 192.0.0.128 PC, and I reboot a camera, I do a ping on 192.0.0.64 and it *briefly* responds to the pings. My guess is that the camera boots to 192.0.0.64 briefly before changing to something else, and the TFTP tool is trying to hook to it while its still at 192.0.0.64. However, it doesn't stay there consistently.

Thanks in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a next course of action for when it does not?
It sounds like you've thoroughly checked out the Hikvision-specific tftp updater.
They removed it as a download from their website quite a while back, presumably in preparation for the modified bootloader no longer using it.
I guess it was too easy for people to update their cameras and generally mess with them.

If you really do want to bring them back to a working state, and strictly on a cost/benefit basis it's not a worthwhile proposition, the next step would be to use the serial console on the control board to access the running system directly.
Needed are a USB to TTL Serial convertor, and a cable / connector to suit the serial console on the board.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2666-UART-connection-to-recover-Hik-cameras?highlight=uart

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
If you were not using a switch between your cam and the PC with tftp, i would suggest trying it again with a switch.
I just had the same issue with an ebay 2132 that someone had bricked and sold cheap. it was on min version 4.0.8 and tftp didn't work
with just a cable between the pc and cam. put them both on a switch and it worked first time. There's some histerisys (sp?) going
on between the pc and the cam's interfaces where they bounce up and down when they don't see link, so putting them
on a switch takes care of that so they both see link regardless of the other's state.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually I think you can use Hikvision Tools to update firmware when the camera is in mini system mode - so no need for TFTP.

OR of course use Hikvision TFTP program (if you can find it)

Reaction score
SOLVED! Anyone else in my shoes, please read.

BTW, I like the idea of trying a switch (POE switch), I was using a 12V wall wart. Also, for anyone reading the this, this solution is only necessary if the TFTP does not connect to the camera. For most people it does.

Here's my solution. Rather involved, but i'd like to help someone else repeat these steps if they need to.

To start, you need:
(a) the SADP tool (from hikvision.com)
(b) the TFTP tool (see elsewhere on forums)
(c) The right firmware (digicap.dav) for your camera. (What worked for me was the file that was 19,819,598 bytes)
(d) Enable telnet client in Windows (search online. It's just enable in Control Panel->Turn Windows Features On or Off.)

Steps:
(1) On laptop change the LAN adapter to 192.0.0.128. Disable wireless and firewall
(2) Plug in camera and use SADP to find it
(3) Use SADP to change camera IP to 192.0.0.64, but do not power down camera
Test that "ping 192.0.0.64" should now work
However, do NOT power cycle the camera, or it reverts to the other IP address that it seems to get stuck on
(4) From the TFTP directory (mine is on a USB stick, D: )
D:\TFTP> tftpserv.exe (and leave it running)
(6) Then telnet into the device:
D:\TFTP> telnet 192.0.0.64
(user: root password: 12345)
(7) Copy the digicap.dav file to the camera:
# tftp -r digicap.dav -g 192.0.0.128
(You should see connect/transmitting/completed text in the tftpserv window.)
(8) Then type "upgrade" (which is a command I found in the camera's bin\ directory):
# upgrade
(You should see the device upgrading)
(9) Reboot the device (while holding the reset button for 30 seconds if you have one)
(10) Rescan in SADP
VOILA! The camera should appear, still with 192.0.0.64 and have the correct device type!
(11) Change the camera's IP address to whatever you want
(12) Use IE or iVMS-4200 to set other camera configuration and verify the live feed works.

Lastly, change the laptop back to its normal settings (DHCP, enable firewall, enable wireless).

This whole process from start-to-finish took me 14 hours. If my time was worth money, I would've just bought new cameras! I really hope someone finds this useful.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
very interesting. so you forced the upgrade over tftp from the camera side,
something that generally happens magically soon after boot-up but wasn't
happening on your cam for some reason...

btw, PoE switch is not necessary. any switch will do to address the flapping issue i described.
(of course the camera does need power somehow)

er_kapil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Mikey,

first off, thanks a lot for the life saving post, I was completely lost after my 2DC2202 bricked, and thought never could work. I haven't managed to get it worked yet though, but I am sure your instructions will get me there.

Just I am stuck with "telnet could not open connection to the host on port 23 connect failed".... till that part everything is ok, I tried the firewall, forwarded port 23 on TCP, I can ping the camera 192.0.0.64.. but when it comes to telnet, it throws this error message. Any idea please ?

cheers.

vraicovi

n3wb
Reaction score
Just I am stuck with "telnet could not open connection to the host on port 23 connect failed".... till that part everything is ok, I tried the firewall, forwarded port 23 on TCP, I can ping the camera 192.0.0.64.. but when it comes to telnet, it throws this error message.
Hey er_kapil, did you ever figure this out? I have a camera out of commission and I'm in the same boat you were.

Thanks!

vraicovi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Through some combination of restarting the cameras while connected to my network, directly connected to my computer, updating through Hikvision tools, automatic TFTP updates and triggering aTFTP update from the camera via telnet, I was able to get all six of my cameras up and running.

What I did learn is that 1 of my six cameras is Chinese, and that the 2042 and 2032 don't like the same firmware. You live, you learn...

Reaction score

BTW, I like the idea of trying a switch (POE switch), I was using a 12V wall wart. Also, for anyone reading the this, this solution is only necessary if the TFTP does not connect to the camera. For most people it does.

Here's my solution. Rather involved, but i'd like to help someone else repeat these steps if they need to.

To start, you need:
(c) The right firmware (digicap.dav) for your camera. (What worked for me was the file that was 19,819,598 bytes)
(d) Enable telnet client in Windows (search online. It's just enable in Control Panel->Turn Windows Features On or Off.)

Steps:
(1) On laptop change the LAN adapter to 192.0.0.128. Disable wireless and firewall
However, do NOT power cycle the camera, or it reverts to the other IP address that it seems to get stuck on
(8) Then type "upgrade" (which is a command I found in the camera's bin\ directory):
# upgrade
(9) Reboot the device (while holding the reset button for 30 seconds if you have one)
(10) Rescan in SADP
VOILA! The camera should appear, still with 192.0.0.64 and have the correct device type!
(12) Use IE or iVMS-4200 to set other camera configuration and verify the live feed works.

Lastly, change the laptop back to its normal settings (DHCP, enable firewall, enable wireless).

This whole process from start-to-finish took me 14 hours. If my time was worth money, I would've just bought new cameras! I really hope someone finds this useful.
You sir are a legend! I followed your exact instructions and recovered my 'Hikvision DS-2CD2x32 camera' which was purchased from 'XinRay'... I had foolishly updated my firmware to the latest version (5.45 I think) and bricked my camera.. Using this firmware (EN downngrade_digicap.dav) - 19,819,598 bytes worked for me as well!
The only step I changed was '9', after the upgrade I just typed, 'Reboot' in the telnet window and camera will reboot itself.
Appreciate your help, thanks!

NJiceman

n3wb
Reaction score

To start, you need:

Steps:
# upgrade
(10) Rescan in SADP

I'm stuck at the part where I need to authenticate via telnet. The password works on sadp but not thru telnet...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
These are separate passwords.
The telnet password varies with the firmware version.
On the older firmware it is hiklinux
What are you aiming to do?
Check out my signature below if you are wanting to convert a CN camera to EN and fully update.
I'm stuck at the part where I need to authenticate via telnet. The password works on sadp but not thru telnet...

jameso

n3wb
Reaction score
Just I am stuck with "telnet could not open connection to the host on port 23 connect failed"....
You might need to enable Telnet in your camera settings. On my DS-2CD2432F it was Configuration > System > Service > Enable Telnet.

(To do this I used SADP to manually set an IP address then connected to it)

pjarmes

n3wb
Reaction score

To start, you need:

Steps:
# upgrade
(10) Rescan in SADP

I am following this advice however, i am getting to point 7: Copy the digicap.dav file to the camera: and I am entering in the line of code into the command prompt but it is returning:

[ INFO][MIN]TFTP: tftp: server error: (1) File not found or No Access

Can anyone help?

grmilbrand

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Mikey, would you still have this file available? I've tried so many firmware versions and nothing works. I keep reverting to Min_System and flashing a new firmware. Nothing is working.
I have a DS-2CD2032F-I That was on v5.2.5 141201