The Dreaded GAP. Very Frustrated New User

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought I'd gotten away from this problem, but it is now back. All I had to do was leave town.

The "unexplained recording stoppage" was related to my Purple 10TB and/or its external case.
I switched to a completely separate drive, an "easystore portable" 5TB.
The Blue Iris seemed to finally run correctly.
I then went out of town for four days. After three days, another unexplained stoppage.
When I returned, first I looked at task Manager, found BI running (service only) at 90% cpu. The drive showed 1,5 TB free. Fired up the GUI and all cams have a red outline but the timeline on the bottom shows that it stopped recording at 07:26 on 9/21. I dutifully used Snip to take all the screenshots and assumed they were being saved... but can't find them.
I rebooted (9/21 23:10) and it resumed recording. Today I discovered that it stopped again 9/22 07:45.
Without my screenshots, all I have are the logs . I'm hoping you smart guys can find a clue in them.

Attachments

Reaction score
Troubleshooting is always unfun :( But necessary. There have been posts here of previous versions of Blue Iris that had 100% CPU usage and the related fixes. I never had that issue so never researched it.
For giggles, remove any external HD. For a couple days or a week, save everything to your M.2 265G SSD (for temp troubleshooting purposes as you will need to re-adjust your storage clip size). You will loose the days & weeks long of recording, but this will prove/disprove it could be an issue with USB/external HD.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the BI NEW folder on the USB drive ?

What is Cam5 Plate: error 80002ee7. Any thing special about CAM5 ?

Is the POE Switch on a UPS ?
Is the BI PC and the external disk drive on a UPS ?
Are you using WIFI cameras ?

When was the last windows update ?
What is your video driver version ?

Provide a screen shot of the camera 5 watchdog tab
provide a screen shot of the bi status clip storage tab.

Ask BI SUPPORT WHAT IS error
FORCE quitting CGadSocket thread
and error
Plate: error 80002ee7

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Getting ready for work so no time just now but will add snips from this morning. I will add comment later
I rebooted last night, went to bed. This morning, more of the same. I checked the web GUI and every cam has working live feed.
The switch ios on, router is on, there have been no power interruptions.
Screenshot 2020-09-23 061531.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 061341.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 061310.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 061209.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 061056.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 061023.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 060947.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 060848.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 055140.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 055014.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-23 054852.jpg

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I would guess its an external drive issue as above. Do like @Holbs suggested and write to an internal drive only for a few days and see if the problems still manifests itself.

Having 100% CPU usage is also a problem. Perhaps they are related. You should figure out how to get that down too.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SouthernYankee,
Is the BI NEW folder on the USB drive ? YES.
With my previous setup I had a purple drive in a case which had both USB3 and eSATA. The USB3 seemed more reliable with that case but then that case had issues. I have received a replacement, not yet installed. I will soon switch back to the purple in the new case, try USB and/or eSATA again.
When that case acted up I switched to the current 5TB portable and that seemed to fix the previous issues....but now it returns.

What is Cam5 Plate: error 80002ee7. Any thing special about CAM5 ? Don't know; No. cam 5 is another 1831 bullet, just like cam 4

Is the POE Switch on a UPS ? NO. No UPSes yet, but will be installing three for router/switch/PC. There have been no power issues recently.
Is the BI PC and the external disk drive on a UPS ? No, (see above)
Are you using WIFI cameras ? There are no Wifi cams on this system. Separately I do HAVE WiFi cams, cloud service etc. Sadly, that system has been FAR MORE reliable than my BI system, so far.

When was the last windows update ? A month ago during setup and auto updates are turned off.
What is your video driver version ? Don't know. The video is on-board OEM in a "Lenovo M700 TINY" with i5-6400T, 32G ram.

Provide a screen shot of the camera 5 watchdog tab Above
provide a screen shot of the bi status clip storage tab. Above

Ask BI SUPPORT WHAT IS error
FORCE quitting CGadSocket thread
and error
Plate: error 80002ee7 I'll ask. BTW: This IS Blue Iris support....according to the blue Iris sales page. I understand that you mean for me to contact Ken via the 'email support' button, located on the about page, under the about tab on my BI machine. But is there a way to email him from another (non-BI) machine to accomplish this?.

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would guess its an external drive issue as above. Do like @Holbs suggested and write to an internal drive only for a few days and see if the problems still manifests itself.
I will try this, for troubleshooting, but of course operating a storage drive will be a must for the system to be useful. I will re-try eSATA with the replacement case but the questions here about USB have me wondering if NO-ONE here uses USB3? Are ALL of you running either eSATA or running PCs that have 3.5 bays and internal drives?
If others are successfully using external drives... how are they connected?

Having 100% CPU usage is also a problem. Perhaps they are related. You should figure out how to get that down too.
I previously adopted the sub-stream setup as directed here and my BI (running as a service) was running less than 15% with nine cams. including lust before leaving town, Thursday. For some reason, even though there is NOTHING else running on this PC, the utilization has ballooned to over 90% while in this error condition. I DON"T KNOW if the utilization was high just before the error condition or if it is high because of it. After rebooting, the system resumes running and using less than 15%.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will try this, for troubleshooting, but of course operating a storage drive will be a must for the system to be useful. I will re-try eSATA with the replacement case but the questions here about USB have me wondering if NO-ONE here uses USB3? Are ALL of you running either eSATA or running PCs that have 3.5 bays and internal drives?
If others are successfully using external drives... how are they connected?
USB is often problematic for uses like this because it must always be sending data and inevitably there are hiccups. Save the data to an internal drive then if you wish move it to external. Best solution is to use a pc case that has enough internal storage slots available.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Pretty much what @fenderman said. Its always better to use internal storage and connect via SATA cable directly to the motherboard.

External drives via USB should be used for backup purposes only. Not for a constant data stream 24x7x365.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whilst searching some of these terms, I stumbled onto a very similar issue
(FORCE quitting CGadSocket thread) being discussed by beta testers

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@MrSurly
My BI machine does not have email capability. I just click the BI email support button and copy the data to a text file on a USB THUMB drive, then copy it to machine with email. Include your log file in the email.

I strongly recommend NOT using a USB drive for your NEW folder, the NEW folder should be an internal drive. A USB drive is not really capably for doing record level writes for multiple data streams in parallel.

I use a USB drive for backup. Not for record level writes.

If you live in Texas near the BETA storm, you had a number of power problems, the power was switching on an off for the last 3 days. Just for a second or two. A PC good power supply can ride through that, but a plugged in wall wart will not. A UPS on all your equipment is required for a stable system. One of my UPS reported over 20 power glitches during that time period.

What is the Make/ model/ case type for your current computer? What is your CPU processor?
What version on windows?
What version of BI?
What is the video driver version ?

For a test , set the new folder to a 110GB on the C: drive. Do not use the USB drive. This is NOT the optimal solution, but it will be a test.

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@MrSurly
My BI machine does not have email capability. I just click the BI email support button and copy the data to a text file on a USB THUMB drive, then copy it to machine with email. Include your log file in the email.

I strongly recommend NOT using a USB drive for your NEW folder, the NEW folder should be an internal drive. A USB drive is not really capably for doing record level writes for multiple data streams in parallel.

I use a USB drive for backup. Not for record level writes.

If you live in Texas near the BETA storm, you had a number of power problems, the power was switching on an off for the last 3 days. Just for a second or two. A PC good power supply can ride through that, but a plugged in wall wart will not. A UPS on all your equipment is required for a stable system. One of my UPS reported over 20 power glitches during that time period.

What is the Make/ model/ case type for your current computer? What is your CPU processor?
What version on windows?
What version of BI?
What is the video driver version ?

For a test , set the new folder to a 110GB on the C: drive. Do not use the USB drive. This is NOT the optimal solution, but it will be a test.
At lunch, no time but here's the quick stuff

LENOVO m700 tiny

Version: Release 5.3.2.3 x64 (8/31/2020)

Service: Yes [LocalSystem]

License: 9GQA7-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Name: RS

Email: masstch@aol.com

Support: Basic

Expires: 8/7/2021 4:05:50 PM

WAN:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz [35%]

RAM: 5.63G/31.8G

Clips: 1349 files, 3.29T/4.44T

Storage: E: +107.0G, C: +179.3G
VIDEO:

1600885690588.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the i5-6400T is a low power laptop type CPU. I do not think that this type of system is designed to run 24/7/365 at a ++50% load. You may be overheating the processor and memory.

Did you do a clean install of windows 10?

As a test remove the case on the computer and put a fan blowing on the CPU and memory.
Also upgrade your memory to 16GB. the memory used by BI for your 9 cameras at there MP is not enough. Is BlueIris page faulting when running ?

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the i5-6400T is a low power laptop type CPU. I do not think that this type of system is designed to run 24/7/365 at a ++50% load. You may be overheating the processor and memory. <snip> As a test remove the case on the computer and put a fan blowing on the CPU and memory.
When the system was running properly (couple of weeks) before this error resurfaced, the PC never got even 'warm' to the touch. I check it often as I find it amazing, given its small case and laptop cpu design. The case is small and thin and perforated all over. Even when in this new fault condition, ostensibly running 100%, it only gets a tiny bit above ambient.

Did you do a clean install of windows 10?
Yes.

Also upgrade your memory to 16GB. the memory used by BI for your 9 cameras at there MP is not enough.
Might wanna re-read. I have 32GB installed. (I actually ran on 8GB for a week or two without realizing it)

Is BlueIris page faulting when running ?
I'm not 100% understanding the question, I guess. Do you mean the service, the GUI or the UI3 perhaps?

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pretty much what @fenderman said. Its always better to use internal storage and connect via SATA cable directly to the motherboard.

External drives via USB should be used for backup purposes only. Not for a constant data stream 24x7x365.
Are external drives connect via eSATA acceptable?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Are external drives connect via eSATA acceptable?
Yes that would be better. I'd still prefer internal since you don't have to mess with an enclosure and its included circuitry but I'd take that over a USB enclosure any day.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is very clear that no one prefers USB-connected storage. Understood. The "T" suffixed CPU indicates a low power, under performing chip. Nobody likes them, either.
While getting away from either would be good, and getting rid of both would be ideal... is there any indication at this point that one of these is the problem that I'm having?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to perform the test writing to an internal drive and see if the problems exists. Won't know until then.

Reaction score
BTW: This IS Blue Iris support....according to the blue Iris sales page.
While I did not check the BI Sales page, I can tell you that IPAMTALK is NOT the official BI support platform.

Having external storage is most probably the real issue here.

One thing you can do is just route a cable from the PS and one SATA cable connected to the MB out of your SFF case and connect directly to an HDD and put the NEW folder on it. This of course would be a temporary setup to see if you still have the issues. It would probably be a good idea to jumper a wire from the disk case to the PC case for grounding. Use an alligator clip connector for this. If there is not a slot to run this through, take the cover off and leave it off for the test.

1600895886004.png