The new updated android app has been pushed to the play store

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup lastest update was at 14th of Feb 2021

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thoughts? I was hoping there's be more under the hood, but initial blush makes it seem more cosmetic than functional.

Pros:
  • Ability to turn overlays on/off during playback.
  • Having graphical representation of system parma is nice
  • Different views of alert clips including time since last trigger.
  • Swiping up on a live view brings up most recent alert, but now you can back out of that view right back to live camera view without going back to the full camera list.
Cons:
  • When seeking during playback, often screen is black with spinning wheel requiring a 'nudge' by tapping seek bar again to get it show anything
  • There is no playback speed or direction indicator during clip playback
  • Alerts played back from live stream view do so in a reduced sized frame
  • Storage use graphic on home page shows only one drive, not all, and there is no obvious way to choose another
  • Pressing video export button crashes app.
I have to say that I think Ken's android developer appears to have hit a wall in terms of his ability to modernize and resolve issues. It's nice to see movement on the app, but at first Blush this does not make me feel like I could brag about the app after a year of waiting for an update.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On a pixel 4a
BI app 3.0.14
BI 5.3.9.8

No problems with the app

i have no problems on play back, but using app on local network.
Speed indication on playback is on the bottom of the screen in portrait mode, it is not there in landscape mode.
The graphic is the home page for disk, is all disks combined, not a problem. But also no very useful.

The app works fine for me, no major problems, it does the job.

Reaction score
I see the previous thread indicating problems with the App has been deleted, as I contributed to that thread may I ask why?

As a Blue Iris subscriber, I have reported the issue as I was advised to Ken at support.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I wish I could report no problems, but regrettably I must say it is a bit of a hot mess for me right now.
App version 3.0.14, BI 5.3.9.8 .

1. When it loads, it changes my server's Schedule to Default - e.v.e.r.y. time. Ditto when I restore it from background.
2. When I do change the Schedule via the dropdown, the Profile field sometimes updates, sometime not.
3. The Schedule field label overflows (see attached screenshot).
4. In the Camera tab, when I view a group, I cannot select a camera in the group. To view the desired camera, I must scroll through the list and select it.
5. When I playback an alert and hit Pause, the frame-by-frame back button acts like the forward button.
UPDATES:
6. I cannot scroll down on the home screen to access the settings gear icon (see screenshot). Therefore, among other things, I cannot set the geofence.

That's the list for right now. I'm continuing to test.
I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app without improvement.
I've already emailed these observations to Ken.
My device is a GalaxyS9, Model SM-G960U, running Android 10.

1613410172137.png

Last edited:

Andreas w

n3wb
Reaction score
I cant connect after update.. unable to reach server.. will not get isp when pushing.. filled it manual and QR.. no progress

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Anyone figure out how to export import config? It seems to be missing from the help menu.

Likewise once in the info section, i cannot back out to the main info screen. Hitting back exits the program.

Reaction score
Android app ver 3.0.14 = Can't reach server over https but http is OK. Can run BI3 in browser over https from said phone. Still running 4.8.6.3 on PC. Sombody suggested new android app might not support 4 but hopefully somebody will confirm.

My old post was deleted cuz I linked to a post in a certain external site. Oops.

PoppinTaco

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having issues with the new version connecting via https using stunnel but http/non encrypted is working
I'm having the same problem. App will not work with stunnel but works fine with HTTP. UI3 works just fine with stunnel.

Matt M.

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got the 2/14 Android update and now the app won't open. It crashes when trying to open. I uninstalled and re-installed and same result.
I'm on Android 11 and a Samsung Tab S7+
Had to sideload an older version.

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A 2nd update to the Android app was deployed again today. I'm not a fan of the new interface. May side load a copy of the old version. NOT an upgrade for me.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to say that I think Ken's android developer appears to have hit a wall in terms of his ability to modernize and resolve issues. It's nice to see movement on the app, but at first Blush this does not make me feel like I could brag about the app after a year of waiting for an update.
I agree with this statement.
Lots of very useful and complex updates on the main Windows BI5 program but the Android app is definitely lacking.
It's a shame because I rarely hear people complaining about the apple version. Maybe I ought to make the switch to an iphone. :)

I am experiencing many of the same bugs from the old android app that I had hoped would be resolved.
Also, the new clip playback in a smaller window is annoying.
My biggest gripe is the app always shows a black screen when first opening which makes me have to force close and re-open to connect.
Once connected, if I'm viewing a live feed and exit by hitting the android home button- the live view sound continues playing in the background.
The camera list shows my hidden and disabled cameras even though I have chosen to hide them in the android settings. (this used to work fine in the old app)

I have deleted cache and data from app. Deleted and reinstalled to make sure I had a clean installation.
Samsung S10+ on android 11.

The only positive I see from this new version is the ability to filter alerts, View canceled AI alerts, and ability to change from "details" to "image" view.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A 2nd update to the Android app was deployed again today. I'm not a fan of the new interface. May side load a copy of the old version. NOT an upgrade for me.
I might go back to the old version as well but where can we download the apk?

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I might go back to the old version as well but where can we download the apk?
I just restored the old version from my Google backup. If you enabled Google to do auto backups, you should have the old copy backed up and I disabled auto-update.

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A 2nd update to the Android app was deployed again today.
Still no joy for me.

I just restored the old version from my Google backup.
I didn't have Google backup turned on, however I found the APK for v2.0.71 <here>.
I've successfully installed it and disabled auto-updates (Play Store App > 3-Bar icon > Settings).

BTW, if you do this and use geofencing, don't forget to 1) reset your geofences (Blue Iris app > Information), 2) set the your geofence up again (Blue Iris app > Settings).
From past experience I always reboot the device between these steps, then take my device outside and ensure that apps GPS Status and Google Maps show an accurate & precise geolocation BEFORE proceeding to step 2.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no Options (wrench and screwdriver) icon on the Home page as says in the Help.
You phone is set to a high level of zoom for the display. Reduce it. The app is not scaling properly.