They just tried to assassinate Trump

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Secret Service couldn't fly drone because of connectivity issues, acting director says

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said Tuesday that he had been informed by the Secret Service that a drone system was not operational on the day of former President Trump's rally due to technical difficulties.
"According to the Secret Service, the drone system was supposed to be operational at 3 p.m. that day. However, we've been told by Secret Service that because of cellular bandwidth problems, it wasn't operational until about 5:20 p.m. of that day. If the system was operational, Secret Service would have had the ability to detect the shooter and his own drone use," Grassley said. "Why is the Secret Service dependent upon local cellular network? Does the Secret Service have a backup plan in place?"

Acting Secret Service director Ronald Rowe answered, "That is something that I briefed in the closed door, and again, something that has cost me a lot of sleep because of the eventual outcome of the assailant. That, what if we had geo-located him because the counter UAS platform had been up? It is something that I have struggled with to understand, and I have no explanation for it."

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Secret Service couldn't fly drone because of connectivity issues, acting director says

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said Tuesday that he had been informed by the Secret Service that a drone system was not operational on the day of former President Trump's rally due to technical difficulties.
"According to the Secret Service, the drone system was supposed to be operational at 3 p.m. that day. However, we've been told by Secret Service that because of cellular bandwidth problems, it wasn't operational until about 5:20 p.m. of that day. If the system was operational, Secret Service would have had the ability to detect the shooter and his own drone use," Grassley said. "Why is the Secret Service dependent upon local cellular network? Does the Secret Service have a backup plan in place?"

Acting Secret Service director Ronald Rowe answered, "That is something that I briefed in the closed door, and again, something that has cost me a lot of sleep because of the eventual outcome of the assailant. That, what if we had geo-located him because the counter UAS platform had been up? It is something that I have struggled with to understand, and I have no explanation for it."

Time to setup a tethered mini-blimp with cameras .. simple enough to do since the US Civil War

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

As I understand retail purchased drones, they tend to check in as they fly. If their gps location is checked against permanent and temporary no fly zones. The police can track the drone and can get the real time location of the drone operator. I've seen it done first hand by Baton Rouge Police an LSU games. They have their own drones up to get a better view of the operator. "We're tracking a drone heading towards the stadium. The pilot is in the baseball field parking lot. He's sitting in the back of a dark blue truck on the third row from the back of the parking lot. He looks to be wearing a purple shirt. Can we get a unit in the area to go check it out?" I can't say if they are using cellular networks or not. But I do know the stadium holds 102,000 people and plenty of people go out to tailgate who don't go to the game and the AT&T and Verizon networks will have a noticeable slowdown. I would hope the USSS has access to stuff as good or better than the local cops. Or maybe they should borrow Crook's drone. It apparently didn't suffer from bandwidth problems.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I understand retail purchased drones, they tend to check in as they fly. If their gps location is checked against permanent and temporary no fly zones. The police can track the drone and can get the real time location of the drone operator. I've seen it done first hand by Baton Rouge Police an LSU games. They have their own drones up to get a better view of the operator. "We're tracking a drone heading towards the stadium. The pilot is in the baseball field parking lot. He's sitting in the back of a dark blue truck on the third row from the back of the parking lot. He looks to be wearing a purple shirt. Can we get a unit in the area to go check it out?" I can't say if they are using cellular networks or not. But I do know the stadium holds 102,000 people and plenty of people go out to tailgate who don't go to the game and the AT&T and Verizon networks will have a noticeable slowdown. I would hope the USSS has access to stuff as good or better than the local cops. Or maybe they should borrow Crook's drone. It apparently didn't suffer from bandwidth problems.
Most drones are capable of flying without the need for cellular service. Now if they are talking about connectivity of their drone to their controller, that is different but that isn't cellular either.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm good question: so if LE and SS couldn’t figure out how to communicate over a 130 yds (possessing some of the most advanced comms in the world and apparently too busy to yell) what/why is this CS team glassing something?

p.s. I’m gonna go out in a limb and say the CS team could indeed literally have thrown a fucking rock at the protective detail below them and advised they were glassing a suspicious person.

Reaction score
the subject made more than 25 different firearms related purchases from online firearms vendor using an alias.
The key words are firearms RELATED purchases. He did not buy 25 guns online. If you have ever bought a gun online (I have several), you know that you have to contact an FFL in your area to receive that firearm. You need to send a copy of his FFL to the dealer you are buying from. Once the firearm is shipped to the receiving FFL, you need to go and pick it up and fill out the proper ATF forms and get a background check. No background check in TX if you have an LTC, but the forms are still filled out. There is no way an FFL is going to risk his license by giving it to someone without proper procedures followed.

MSM will call anything 'firearm related'. Magazines, ammo, a sling, cleaning rod or patches, a case, that rangefinder, etc. Anything bought from Cabella's. You know what I mean.

Reaction score
Hmmm good question: so if LE and SS couldn’t figure out how to communicate over a 130 yds (possessing some of the most advanced comms in the world and apparently too busy to yell) what/why is this CS team glassing something?
I think that video is of the team that had the tree in the way of their line of sight.

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The key words are firearms RELATED purchases. He did not buy 25 guns online. If you have ever bought a gun online (I have several), you know that you have to contact an FFL in your area to receive that firearm. You need to send a copy of his FFL to the dealer you are buying from. Once the firearm is shipped to the receiving FFL, you need to go and pick it up and fill out the proper ATF forms and get a background check. No background check in TX if you have an LTC, but the forms are still filled out. There is no way an FFL is going to risk his license by giving it to someone without proper procedures followed.

MSM will call anything 'firearm related'. Magazines, ammo, a sling, cleaning rod or patches, a case, that rangefinder, etc. Anything bought from Cabella's. You know what I mean.
Yes...I was addressing bigredfish's question "Where did a 20yo get the $ to buy 25 additional firearms?"