[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you may wish to hide the camera that is recording the 4k stream as it is unlikely once it is setup you will need to tinker with it.
This makes sense, there would be no difference in how it would display inside Blue Iris right?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This makes sense, there would be no difference in how it would display inside Blue Iris right?
Hiding the camera does not effect it's operation within BI, however since you are effectively storing data at two different locations on disk they will need to be referred to individually. One directory for continous SD and one for the trigerred HD.

Please bear in mind I have personally never configured my system to achieve your goals! To some extent I am flying blind ;)

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Second thoughts, since you will need to review both SD and HD streams you will need to have both displayed to gain access.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think once I'm comfortable with the configuration i'll def hide one set of them. Just wanted to make sure the one recording on the SD would display in HD (I assume both clones will have both streams)

Last edited:

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think once I'm comfortable with the configuration i'll def hide one set of them. Just wanted to make sure the one recording on the SD would display in HD (I assume both clones will have both streams)
Your first logical camera will serve as the SD stream and trigger an HD captured image for aitool. The second logical camera will receive the command from Aitool and only needs to be configured for your 4K stream.
I will try and post the setup for the first logical unit later as it is a little special in as much as it will be recording in SD and then automatically saving captures in HD.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very cool, i def feel like I understand in principle but i'm sure I'll hit a snag or 2 on actual implementation. Are you recommending I delete the SD Sub stream on the clone/"second logical camera"?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@seth-feinberg
Here are the setup images for one of my system cameras and the last image is simply changed to show continuous recording. I suspect you may need to disable the HD stream if you find the continuous recording is in HD resolution. As configured the camera will monitor in SD (NOT RECORD) and when triggered send an HD snap to aitool for investigation. BI will automatically make the stream switch if you configure the pre trigger buffer for about 2 seconds. On my system aitool will send an external command to the clone which is set to record in HD for 60 seconds and continue to record if retriggered during that 60 second period.

Image1.pngImage2.pngImage3.pngImage4.png

lucasCam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a few situations where I have an image snapshot that AITools detects a person, but the alert doesn't get flagged in BI. Looks like the alert is 21s long (someone walking around) and there are 6 images taken and 4 detected a person.

What's the correct action to take to fix this? Should I be lowering JPG snapshot each setting? Currently set to 4s

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a few situations where I have an image snapshot that AITools detects a person, but the alert doesn't get flagged in BI. Looks like the alert is 21s long (someone walking around) and there are 6 images taken and 4 detected a person.

What's the correct action to take to fix this? Should I be lowering JPG snapshot each setting? Currently set to 4s
3-4 seconds is a reasonable capture rate setting. The fact that aitool recognises a person is indicative of an issue of confidence of image, cooldown setting or perhaps command syntax.

This is my command syntax that works reliably for me:
Hxxp:/192.168.2.6:81/admin?camera=[camera]&trigger&user=admin&pw=xxxxxx
Hxxp:/192.168.2.6:81/admin?camera=[camera]&flagalert=1&trigger&memo=[summary]&user=admin&pw=xxxxxx

I prefer to use the actual computer address rather than 127.0.0.1:81

You could also try pressing the test button a few times to confirm the command is working.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there a way to record cars, and people but only send telegram messages for people when they are detected. I have tried setting up additional cameras where only people were detected but I think due to camera short name being same it did not work.

Thanks

Reaction score
Is there a way to record cars, and people but only send telegram messages for people when they are detected. I have tried setting up additional cameras where only people were detected but I think due to camera short name being same it did not work.

Thanks
Yep. In the Action settings for your camera you can put Person in the Objects field. This will provide notifications for people, but not cars. However, I have found that if it detects a car, and a person that is in a masked out zone it will still send the notification.

1613054386592.png

Reaction score
Yep. In the Action settings for your camera you can put Person in the Objects field. This will provide notifications for people, but not cars. However, I have found that if it detects a car, and a person that is in a masked out zone it will still send the notification.

View attachment 82417
Thanks but I don't see those settings. This is what I have under the actions. Am I on a different version?
1613054865844.png

Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are the setup images for one of my system cameras and the last image is simply changed to show continuous recording.
My dude! this is just insanely helpful, thank you so much. Two questions:

• I've never seen the "Record Dual-Streams if Available" option before. Is that checked by default and I just never noticed it? or is that a necessary configuration for something in your setup?
  • Where are you defining the 60 second clip on AI Tool confirmation? That's longer than most people record, right?
Also: Are you concerned that the 24x7 recording clone will automatically record the high def stream if present?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My dude! this is just insanely helpful, thank you so much. Two questions:

• I've never seen the "Record Dual-Streams if Available" option before. Is that checked by default and I just never noticed it? or is that a necessary configuration for something in your setup?
  • Where are you defining the 60 second clip on AI Tool confirmation? That's longer than most people record, right?
Also: Are you concerned that the 24x7 recording clone will automatically record the high def stream if present?
If you do not have the "Record Dual-Streams if Available" option it's possible that your BI software is in need of updating, 5.3.9.6 is the version I am currently running date 10th Feb 2021. My setup is as you know based on using a cloned camera, the main camera is used to generate the high quality JPEG for analysis by aitool. This camera monitors for movement in SD and then when triggered automatically switches to HD to take the high quality JPEG image. Hence the need to utilise both streams on this camera. The second logical unit of this camera is only used to capture video when it receives a command from aitool.
The 60 second period for the 8K recording is IMHO the minimum that makes sense to avoid missing something and also avoids lots of smaller files of video. My theory is that within 60 seconds the camera will trigger again if anything interesting is going on and ultimately will provide a complete record of what happened without recording 24 x 7 which I consider overkill for my application. If I were providing security for the queens jewels I would most definitely use 24 x 7 recording. By way of example, when my gardener is working in the garden I usually end up with a video lasting for about an hour because the camera is re-triggered within 60 seconds while he is working.

In respect to your last point, you can avoid the camera that generates triggered images from recording in HD by only listing the SD stream in the configuration if you do find that your recording are in HD. To achieve automatic stream switching you will need to be running a reasonably recent version of BI.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In respect to your last point, you can avoid the camera that generates triggered images from recording in HD by only listing the SD stream in the configuration if you do find that your recording are in HD. To achieve automatic stream switching you will need to be running a reasonably recent version of BI.
Very cool, thanks for all that. Yes my BI is def due for an update and that was my planned first step. If I delete the Main/HD stream on the 2nd logical camera, will it still act as a clone in regards to the low CPU overhead?

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks
Sure is, I found this by accident.
Under actions, populate the "Objects" field to send telegram alerts on only specific objects. ie: I get telegram alerts only when a Person is detected (refer below), I still have all relevant objects selected in the actual camera.

I go further than this and actually have 2 AI Camera Profiles per BI Camera to align with my AI Home and AWAY Profiles.
That way AI still actions against all objects, but allows me have different actions such as only send Telegram Alerts when people are detected when I am AWAY!!
If needed you can have a different custom mask for each camera profile.

1613086243474.png