Toying with mounting cameras inside on upper window casing

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unfortunately, while good intentioned, about all doing this would accomplish is drain you and your neighbors wallets. Cause you and your wife emotional stress out the wazoo. I know of a couple of instances similar to this, and lawsuits brought by group of neighbors against another neighbor. After 4-5-6 years of being dragged through the court system and $20,000 per plaintiff later, they let it dry up and go away. Justice isn't swift nor fair. Only winners were the lawyers. Our court system blows. Best of luck.
Thank you @looney2ns, and I understand your point. $20k (each, 140k total.) is not a lot of money to us and our neighbors. We would have to weigh the pros and cons of such an action. First would need a conviction on the original felonies before even considering, and there is a chance they get reduced. It really is a sticky, delicate and complicated situation. At the same time, no one is looking to piss away $$. We will prevail.

I applied for my concealed carry pistol permit today.

SD

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you @looney2ns, and I understand your point. $20k (each, 140k total.) is not a lot of money to us and our neighbors. We would have to weigh the pros and cons of such an action. First would need a conviction on the original felonies before even considering, and there is a chance they get reduced. It really is a sticky, delicate and complicated situation. At the same time, no one is looking to piss away $$. We will prevail.

I applied for my concealed carry pistol permit today.

SD
Outstanding on the permit! Please take some good training, not just whatever is required to obtain the permit.
Too many folks, buy a weapon, take it home, throw it in a drawer and call it good. It's not that simple, it's a HUGE responsibility. Find a class that teach's the laws pertaining to weapons in your county as well.

You have to weigh the emotional cost as well as the $$$. I feel for you and your neighborhood bro, it's a sticky situation.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I would not choose my actions based on ONE case that someone witnessed, your circumstances may be 100% different, never let fear stop you from doing what is right, what I WOULD do is consult a lawyer and not internet lawyers who's friends experienced something, that's like asking a cop about gun laws.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Outstanding on the permit! Please take some good training, not just whatever is required to obtain the permit.
Too many folks, buy a weapon, take it home, throw it in a drawer and call it good. It's not that simple, it's a HUGE responsibility. Find a class that teach's the laws pertaining to weapons in your county as well.

You have to weigh the emotional cost as well as the $$$. I feel for you and your neighborhood bro, it's a sticky situation.
I would not choose my actions based on ONE case that someone witnessed, your circumstances may be 100% different, never let fear stop you from doing what is right, what I WOULD do is consult a lawyer and not internet lawyers who's friends experienced something, that's like asking a cop about gun laws.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Thank you both for your support. I fully understand your extremely important points, and agree wholeheartedly. I like to consider myself an educated, rational adult and know I would never do anything to jeopardize my family or my well being.

I've been hunting since I was old enough to get my small game license at 14. I've held my big game (really a Sportsman) concurrently for the last 31 years. Have the basic 12 gauge Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer, along with my Northern Tier deer rifle, a Remington Model 700 bolt action in .243. I've been a fan of guns all my life. I have handled and shot every kind of pistol, rifle and even done some hand loads reloading casings with my Father in Law. That being said, I have two small toddler girls that have kept me from applying until now. That will still be my utmost concern going forward.

My entire group of close (best) friends have all had their permits since they turned 18. I just never went and got mine. They are all grandfathered in with the newer and extremely restrictive laws to conceal and carry. NY is extremely strict with any permits. There are 5 different levels, ranging from the most restrictive, possession in a dwelling by householder, to the full carry concealed permit. There is a strong chance I would be denied the full carry concealed permit. I need to provide "proper cause" to be granted one. I have this in my corner.

My best friend (best man in my wedding) of 40+ years now, is a 20 year Syracuse Police Officer. From hanging out with him for so long, I will have four 20+ year LEO's as my character references. The next level below full concealed carry is a Sportsman, which I could take it to the range, or hunt with it. I would not be disappointed if that was issued.

Believe me, I read the story from a link a gentleman posted here about the good samaritan whose life was turned upside down because he was trying to help. That is the last thing I want. It is my right to own a pistol with an exemplary criminal record (never been in trouble, ever in my life). I understand the huge responsibility, the repercussions and fallout that can occur by becoming "John Wayne" .

Again, thank you guys. This is as difficult a situation as I've ever faced in my life, and I'm not alone. It sucks so bad, we don't sleep too much any more, kind of a living nightmare.

Respectfully,

Solar Deity

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Man, sorry to hear this, especially for your wife. Front door cam pronto so she can see who it is, and hopefully keep her imagination from running wild each time the door bell rings.

If you don't have a good peep hole in the front door, you need one.

I know lots of folks that live in sketchy areas, and if you don't call or text first before arriving at their house, you don't get in. Their standard everyday operating procedure. Sad.
Indeed!

Bad Neighbors - the reason why many of us are here looking at security cameras.

Suggest:
Make a "barn raising event" - where the community comes together to help each neighbor. In this case a "security camera raising event".

Bring it up at the next meeting with the neighbors, and that you coordinate with them to organize the group to help them each set up good security cameras covering their front of the properties, including front porch area, and run a workshop showing people how to view the live footage. This will help people once again feel empowered and reduce stress.

Recommending planning to help out with just 1-2 models, getting some specially cable installation tools. If the group is uncomfortable doing the cabling you can probably find a contractor to help out the entire neighborhood.

With a good group you can have all the security cameras setup properly outdoors and wired quickly.

We've had a good discussion on the front door cameras here:
Is there a good small camera for front and rear doors?

As a result I am looking at installing:
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS ( starlight wedge )
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

So perhaps that camera and the
IPC-HDW5231R-Z ( starlight turret )
IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology

Remember we'll be happy to share our experiences with you to help out.
With a good group of neighbors to help out wiring a house for Cat5e/Cat6 becomes fairly easy.
( if you want minimal work breaking drywall you can surface mount 1/2" emt and run it up to the attic - or down to the basement/crawlspace if you have one )

For less than a day's worth of Billing from a Lawyer a house can have a good security camera setup. ( 8x$300 = a lot of security cameras )

On the legal end, the US Court system is designed for 2 sets of winners - those with lots of money and lawyers.

Thus,
1) I would let the criminal court system take it's shot at him.
2) Have the neighbors ban together and get restraining orders against him. ( remember to renew this )
3) Make certain the security cameras work well to ID.
4) If he comes back - show the proof to the police and repeat step (1)

Good luck.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Than you @mat200 for taking the time to type that response. It was very well thought out, and I appreciate you took the time to do it.

I am awaiting a quote from Andy for 3 NVR's, 10x 5231's and a couple SD59's. That's half of us, with the others to follow shortly. We were actually doing 3-4 cameras for the 3 families before this all happened.

I am a network engineer, I just don't get paid for it! Three other husband's of the 7 families in IT as well. We all were fortunate enough to put "future tubes" in our homes in 2013 when they were constructed. It should be fairly easy to pull the Cat6 runs through the 1.5" PVC, from the basement to the attic.

As I said above, no one wants to piss away their hard earned $$, but after this, I don't think money is an object for all involved and affected by this clown in regards to camera systems.

Again, thank you for your sincere response. I know you took a bit of time to compose and type it. Really appreciate it.

SD

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Than you @mat200 .. We all were fortunate enough to put "future tubes" in our homes in 2013 when they were constructed. It should be fairly easy to pull the Cat6 runs through the 1.5" PVC, from the basement to the attic.
Again, thank you for your sincere response. I know you took a bit of time to compose and type it. Really appreciate it.

SD
Thanks @Solar Deity

Future tubes! Very nice. Sounds like you're ahead of me already ;-)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you both for your support. I fully understand your extremely important points, and agree wholeheartedly. I like to consider myself an educated, rational adult and know I would never do anything to jeopardize my family or my well being.

I've been hunting since I was old enough to get my small game license at 14. I've held my big game (really a Sportsman) concurrently for the last 31 years. Have the basic 12 gauge Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer, along with my Northern Tier deer rifle, a Remington Model 700 bolt action in .243. I've been a fan of guns all my life. I have handled and shot every kind of pistol, rifle and even done some hand loads reloading casings with my Father in Law. That being said, I have two small toddler girls that have kept me from applying until now. That will still be my utmost concern going forward.

My entire group of close (best) friends have all had their permits since they turned 18. I just never went and got mine. They are all grandfathered in with the newer and extremely restrictive laws to conceal and carry. NY is extremely strict with any permits. There are 5 different levels, ranging from the most restrictive, possession in a dwelling by householder, to the full carry concealed permit. There is a strong chance I would be denied the full carry concealed permit. I need to provide "proper cause" to be granted one. I have this in my corner.

My best friend (best man in my wedding) of 40+ years now, is a 20 year Syracuse Police Officer. From hanging out with him for so long, I will have four 20+ year LEO's as my character references. The next level below full concealed carry is a Sportsman, which I could take it to the range, or hunt with it. I would not be disappointed if that was issued.

Believe me, I read the story from a link a gentleman posted here about the good samaritan whose life was turned upside down because he was trying to help. That is the last thing I want. It is my right to own a pistol with an exemplary criminal record (never been in trouble, ever in my life). I understand the huge responsibility, the repercussions and fallout that can occur by becoming "John Wayne" .

Again, thank you guys. This is as difficult a situation as I've ever faced in my life, and I'm not alone. It sucks so bad, we don't sleep too much any more, kind of a living nightmare.

Respectfully,

Solar Deity
Wow, I had no idea how effed up new york gun laws are, good lord, I could never live there. D: