Trying to decide between cameras for house

kur1j

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m a novice in this and would really like some feedback/suggestions. I have read the wiki here and the suggestions for cameras. While I would love to have the massive PTZ cameras all over the place my wife wouldn’t haha.

The cameras below interested me for their small(ish) size and the less obtrusive look over the bullet style. I understand the DORI, however, I don’t know the small nuisances between the cameras I’m looking at as they seem to be roughly the same.

Cameras I’m considering:
Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - ~160$ - I’m using this camera as a baseline.

Turret
Hikvision DS-2CD2H25FHWD-IZS -$239
Hikvision DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS - $259

Dome
Hikvision DS-2CD2722FWD-IZS - $179
Hikvision DS-2CD2723G1-IZS - $199
Hikvision DS-2CD2722FWD-IZSB - $249
Hikvision DS-2CD2725FHWD-IZS - $249

Between the Dahua and Hikvision turret style I can’t really tell the difference. Even between the two turret style Hikvision units there is a 20$ difference and I don’t see why it cost any different.

As for the dome style cameras they seem to be more priced in line with the Dahua and seem to be about the same performance?

Is there any major differences in performance of their DORI? What would say the DS-2CD2723G1-IZS that’s $199 give over the the Dahua in performance/features? Same goes the DS-2CD2725FHWD-IZS what does it give feature/performance wise over the DS-2CD2723G1-IZS or the Dahua?

Is there some other cameras I should be considering? I’m mainly looking at the Hikvision because people have reported that the firmware in the Dahua can come with exploits/backdoors. Any truth to that?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Reaction score
I’m a novice in this and would really like some feedback/suggestions. I have read the wiki here and the suggestions for cameras. While I would love to have the massive PTZ cameras all over the place my wife wouldn’t haha.

The cameras below interested me for their small(ish) size and the less obtrusive look over the bullet style. I understand the DORI, however, I don’t know the small nuisances between the cameras I’m looking at as they seem to be roughly the same.

Cameras I’m considering:
Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE - ~160$ - I’m using this camera as a baseline.

Turret
Hikvision DS-2CD2H25FHWD-IZS -$239
Hikvision DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS - $259

Dome
Hikvision DS-2CD2722FWD-IZS - $179
Hikvision DS-2CD2723G1-IZS - $199
Hikvision DS-2CD2722FWD-IZSB - $249
Hikvision DS-2CD2725FHWD-IZS - $249

Between the Dahua and Hikvision turret style I can’t really tell the difference. Even between the two turret style Hikvision units there is a 20$ difference and I don’t see why it cost any different.

As for the dome style cameras they seem to be more priced in line with the Dahua and seem to be about the same performance?

Is there any major differences in performance of their DORI? What would say the DS-2CD2723G1-IZS that’s $199 give over the the Dahua in performance/features? Same goes the DS-2CD2725FHWD-IZS what does it give feature/performance wise over the DS-2CD2723G1-IZS or the Dahua?

Is there some other cameras I should be considering? I’m mainly looking at the Hikvision because people have reported that the firmware in the Dahua can come with exploits/backdoors. Any truth to that?

Thanks for taking the time to read.
First of all, don't dismiss the PTZ camera because you're worried it's too big. I've got a PTZ on the corner of my front porch, and most people don't even notice it. I think that mentally they just dismiss it as some sort of light fixture. You'll thank yourself later if you install one, especially if it has a view of your parked car, or some other area where burglars might try to enter.

You will definitely want some optical zoom with at least one camera, either with a PTZ camera, a varifocal camera, or a camera with a fixed focal length of 6 mm or greater (both Dahua and Hikvision offer those). Cameras with 2.8 mm or 3.6 mm focal lengths are fine for the big picture, but you'll quickly find yourself getting frustrated because you didn't record a better image of the perp. Good DORI numbers matter very much, especially at night. Even criminals tend to walk on sidewalks and enter through doors, so position some cameras to take advantage of that behavior to get a good image for ID purposes.

As to Dahua cameras having exploits or backdoors, I've heard the same thing about Hikvision cameras. :) In either case, if you are worried about outsiders getting into your network, then you should put all your cameras in an isolated subnet that makes it impossible for them to open a connection to the Internet. I would recommend that even if the cameras were manufactured in the USA or Europe.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE has been discontinued, there are better replacements. Be sure you have studied the Cliff Notes.
Don't use Domes outdoors, they have unwanted reflection issues.
The current king of the crop is the 5442 Dahua series. Read the many reviews posted here.
Any camera system should always be installed on a properly secured network. They ALL have security holes one way or another.
Never use port forwarding.
See this: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

kur1j

n3wb
Reaction score
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE has been discontinued, there are better replacements. Be sure you have studied the Cliff Notes.
Don't use Domes outdoors, they have unwanted reflection issues.
The current king of the crop is the 5442 Dahua series. Read the many reviews posted here.
Any camera system should always be installed on a properly secured network. They ALL have security holes one way or another.
Never use port forwarding.
See this: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
I couldn’t find a 5442 with a variable focus lens. Am I missing it?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
18) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

kur1j

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah guess that’s why I’m struggling to find it.

Have they released the price of them?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any ideas how much it will be?
I haven't seen pricing posted for it yet. Hopefully soon.

If you need a varifocal turret ASAP, Dahua has newer 2MP models. They use the same 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor as the 5231, but they have better low-light image performance.

Hopefully the 5442 varifocal turret will do well and not have a crazy price... I've replaced two of my 5231s with fixed-lens 5442 models and they've been a marked improvement. The rest of my 5231s are zoomed in pretty tight so I need a 5442 varifocal before considering replacing them.

kur1j

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't seen pricing posted for it yet. Hopefully soon.

If you need a varifocal turret ASAP, Dahua has newer 2MP models. They use the same 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor as the 5231, but they have better low-light image performance.

Hopefully the 5442 varifocal turret will do well and not have a crazy price... I've replaced two of my 5231s with fixed-lens 5442 models and they've been a marked improvement. The rest of my 5231s are zoomed in pretty tight so I need a 5442 varifocal before considering replacing them.
Thanks. Yeah I’m. it in a super big rush. I don’t have a problem waiting a month or so.