Two new interesting cams from dahua

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for the laymen; your getting the performance of a $400+ Hik Darkfighter for a fraction of the cost..

additional detail in low light conditions will be quite noticeable.. there will be much less noise.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
for the laymen; your getting the performance of a $400+ Hik Darkfighter for a fraction of the cost..

additional detail in low light conditions will be quite noticeable.. there will be much less noise.
Will you be able to test it indoors and outdoors with LED lighting?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont have any LED lighting outside; other than my IR Cannons..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that should not matter for LED lighting, they are driven constantly by DC voltage.. not AC.

unless you have em on a dimmer, but then the PWM frequency still has no direct correlation to 50Hz vs 60Hz

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
that should not matter for LED lighting, they are driven constantly by DC voltage.. not AC.

unless you have em on a dimmer, but then the PWM frequency still has no direct correlation to 50Hz vs 60Hz
I have seen issues with 50hz hikvision cams...Its easy to test once someone gets their hands on them..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i'll check it out; but i never noticed any issues w/my other PAL cameras when I was bench testing them inside under LED lighting.

if I run high enough shutter speeds I can catch dimmed LED's pulsating; but most of the LED dimmers ive driven I had em set at like 1Khz or 10Khz frequencies.. dont need anymore than that to have a smooth dimming and brightening effect; both my NTSC and PAL cameras are capable of catching this tho.

*edit*
some very cheap LED lights, eg christmas decoration are driven directly from AC - using the diodes themselves to rectify it - these will flicker at the 1/2 mains frequency.. I think with LED's it can vary greatly depending on whats driving em if its going to collide with your shutter speed or fps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lonster

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a couple Dahua 4MP HDW4431C-A turrets and am looking to add a couple more cameras. The 4431C-A is $66 on Ali. There's also a Dahua 8MP turret (HDW4830EM-AS) for $157. Is it worth more than double the price for the 8MP model over the 4MP model?

dougri

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a couple Dahua 4MP HDW4431C-A turrets and am looking to add a couple more cameras. The 4431C-A is $66 on Ali. There's also a Dahua 8MP turret (HDW4830EM-AS) for $157. Is it worth more than double the price for the 8MP model over the 4MP model?
Can't speak from experience using the cameras, but from a spec stance, the 4MP is the only of the 3 (2/4/8MP) that lacks an exmor sensor, and as such may have lower image quality... especially in low light. The 8MP sacrifices flexibility in lens choice (4mm only option available) to get reasonable low-light performance for such a high MP sensor (with an F1.6 lens vs F2 on the others). I think these three really target different needs... the 2MP is for excellent low-light performance with decent detail, the 8MP is for excellent detail with very good low-light performance, while the 4MP is kinda middle of the road... does not appear to be targeted at excellent detail or low-light performance, but is at a VERY attractive price point... would be very interested to see how it performs in daylight and with the onboard IR.

a500drvr

n3wb
Reaction score
Im waiting for the pictures to be posted of the comparisons....

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This IPC-HDW5231R-Z is that really a starlight camera ?
If i search the dahua website it come up with other types.

For example this one has starlight in the description line:
IPC-HDBW8232E-Z

This seems to have f1.53 lens. And the 5231 a f1.4

There is however a starlight icon at all the ecosavy 3 camera's.
Is that icon perhaps indicating it uses some kind of technology from the real starlight camera's ?

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a starlight camera.
btw. f1.4 is better than f1.53 ;-)

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do understand 1.4 is better than. 1.53.

Sensor is also diferent with
1/1.9” 2Megapixel progressive scan CMOS (IPC-HDBW8232E-Z)
1/2.8” 2Megapixel progressive scan Exmor CMOS (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Also the series seem different off course. Further it is just a question on what is what..

Night_Owl

n3wb
Reaction score
The Starlight series looks interesting, and I have a HDW5231R-Z on the way from Empire Technology on Ali. Hope 2MP will provide enough detail to recognize a face at night. This will be mounted on far end of front porch aimed at the driveway with a streetlight right next to it. Does the software allow zooming in on a car in driveway if motion detected? Will post some shots when system is up.

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've ordered the first one. Andy told me that it is the first one exported from china. It will arrive today. :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I also ordered one from Empire Technology Co., Ltd last week because their guaranteed delivery is "10 days" versus "23 days" from the other seller. Not that I expect 10 days to be true. I've had sellers in the past ask me on the last day to extend the delivery window before they would ship it.

It sure would be nice if these camera sellers would keep a small inventory on hand but I guess they are too small for that.