Unimpressed by Reolink kit - want 4 camera setup for home

TVRV8S

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am in the UK.

We currently have one Logitech Circle and one Logitech Circle2. Fed up with some features of it, I recently bought this Reolink 5MP kit for £370 from Amazon. The specs seemed to have almost everything I was looking for on paper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H3G6KTN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the one with two bullet and two dome cameras. Having tested one of the dome cameras with the included NVR, I am fairly unimpressed with the picture quality (seems crinkly, if that makes sense) and the app functionality despite great Amazon reviews. We looked at the Reolink picture and the Logitech picture side by side from the same location and I would say the 1080p 30fps picture quality of the Circles is superior to the 5MP 25fps of the Reolink. It may be 5MP but I can only assume the CCD or processing is poor quality in the Reolink.

Logitech's app is also really easy to use, whereas the Reolink app doesn't clearly show each detection or even specify when a person has been seen. I tried the camera outside and I can't even read number plates from 30 metres away so doesn't seem an upgrade at all over the Circles.

The downside of the Circles is the high individual camera cost, ongoing subscription cost, the poor night vision (blurry figures), blurry compressed image in anything but bright conditions, the hit on our internet speed and the slow change from colour <> night vision. If someone turns on the light, it can take 3+ seconds for the camera to respond and adjust meaning they've walked through the view as a bright ghost or dark shape.

What I'm looking for:

* POE
* don't need PTZ - 1 dome (interior) and three bullets (exterior) would be fine
* dome ideally needs 80-90 degrees of coverage
* Better than 1080p resolution
* 30fps
* responds to light conditions quicker
* central NVR
* decent, clear phone app
* ideally person detection
* good clear picture quality that isn't overly compressed and is a good upgrade over the Circle or Reolink
* good night vision
* deliverable to UK

Is there such a kit or system I can put together for a reasonable cost (perhaps up to twice the cost of the Reolink kit)? I want something with much better quality picture than the Reolink / Circle - not a small upgrade that isn't worth the effort or cost.

And one further question regarding night vision and shutter speeds, which I've been unable to answer through months of Googling: if a camera has, say, 10 LEDs on board and struggles to light an area sufficiently to avoid slow shutter speed and thus blurry figures, if I add IR illuminators to flood the area, will the camera consequently increase shutter speed?

Thanks for any help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
read the wiki
you will not get a good 4 camera setup for 350.
reolink is garbage.

TVRV8S

n3wb
Reaction score
That's why I said possibly for double the Reolink cost.... i.e. 700 GBP.

It may be that what I want isn't achievable with that budget either, so would appreciate opinions so I don't waste lots of time on this.

I've looked through the notes in the Wiki but it was last updated 7 months ago, and I was hoping for current information about the latest kits or products that I could buy in the UK that matched my needs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I said possibly for double the Reolink cost.... i.e. 700 GBP.

It may be that what I want isn't achievable with that budget either, so would appreciate opinions so I don't waste lots of time on this.

I've looked through the notes in the Wiki but it was last updated 7 months ago, and I was hoping for current information about the latest kits or products that I could buy in the UK that matched my needs.
It's current. And has all the information you need.
4 Starlight turrets and a blue iris PC done. Start reading.