Updated NVR firmware published - NVR_78_79_EXX_V3.4.80_160718.zip

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply...

You will lose the telnet capability that 3.0.8 has
Doesn't the SSH ability offset that loss?

there is a chance, depending on the apparent (if running hacked to English firmware) region of the camera you may bump into 'language mismatch' problems as you progress up the revisions of the NVR firmware.
In your opinion, is it likely that I will bump into the 'language mismatch' problem?

You will lose the EN menus if you have to do a 'reset to defaults' or a tftp update at any time.
Is there any way to protect myself against this... that is, are there steps to take that will allow me to undo updates without having to 'reset to defaults' or a tftp update? Do I need a copy of the original FW? If so, is the v3.0.8 - 140825 FW available somewhere ( I couldn't find it!)

I don't know for sure if doing a single update across many versions will be problematic, as the web GUI update has done maybe 4 configuration file format updates / translations by the time you get to 3.4.80, so the question would be - does it play nicely and have the code to deal with a very old format, or will it just clear it?
I believe that you are suggesting that I do the update revision by revision, as opposed to to trying the single update. Are you able to suggest a migration strategy... that is, which FW updates should I do to get me from v3.0.8 to V3.4.80, and if possible, which specific files I should download for my DS-7632N-E2/8P NVR. Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't the SSH ability offset that loss?
The K41 firmware doesn't actually have that - despite the code referencing it in start.sh SSH (dropbear) is in the K51 firmware though, for the -I2 series NVRs.
In your opinion, is it likely that I will bump into the 'language mismatch' problem?
You cameras may tell you where they think they come from if you try
http://camera_IP_address/SDK/language
Is there any way to protect myself against this... that is, are there steps to take that will allow me to undo updates without having to 'reset to defaults' or a tftp update? Do I need a copy of the original FW? If so, is the v3.0.8 - 140825 FW available somewhere ( I couldn't find it!)
Hacked firmware is an option. But you need a source ...
The Hikvision EU site holds a remarkable range of back firmware. But the big question is - does your NVR (maybe an AARR in the serial number?) like them?
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Back-ends/Recorder/NVR/DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/
But with telnet access, and a way to get the files out of the NVR, such as a NetHDD destination, you can grab a backup copy of what's currently installed, something like:
cd /tmp
umount /dev/mtdblock2
cat /dev/mtdblock2 > mtdblock2_save
mount /dev/mtdblock2 /home/hik
And get mtdblock2_save off the NVR, it holds the entire firmware as a cramfs, minus the Hikvision header.
Are you able to suggest a migration strategy..
It's not a topic I spent any great time on.
I went from 3.0.8 to 3.21 to 3.34 to 3.4.62 to 3.4.80

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Things turned a bit south for me when upgrading my NVR's FW. All FW downloaded from Hik Europe and the language file changed to 2 so the NVR will accept it.

7816N-E1, Chinese version of the 7616NI-Ex, was running 3.0.10 and eventually upgraded to 3.4.0 via the WebGUI, NVR remained in English on both the WebGUI and VGA interfaces. I tried 3.4.2 via the WebGUI and it reverted to Chinese. TFTP via UART method to 3.0.10 and now the WebGUI is in English but the VGA is in Chinese. I've never seen this. I tried going from 3.0.10 to 3.3.4 via the WebGUI interface, still had the VGA interface in Chinese. UARTed back to 3.0.10, used the WebGUI interface to 3.3.2 and now both interfaces are in English. Then using the WebGUI went to 3.3.4, still all English. Used the WebGUI to get to 3.4.62, and I get the (sic) !!!!!!!! you Device is illegal, Please call factory!!!!!! reboot loop. Back to UART and 3.0.10 I go, then via WebGUI 3.3.2 -> 3.3.4 -> 3.4.80 same result as 3.4.62. Back to UART and 3.0.10 then via WebGUI 3.3.2 -> 3.3.4 -> 3.4.1 same result as 3.4.62. Back to UART and 3.0.10 then via WebGUI 3.3.2 -> 3.3.4 -> 3.4.0, both interfaces in English. And here I stop, same place I started.

I guess I just can't go beyond 3.4.0. Hopefully this helps others and if anyone has a suggestion, please reply.

jacngo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi scn101,

Try using the chinese firmware (cox your NVR is a chinese unit) thats what I used on my NVR but update it via the WEB GUI so the English language stays in tack. I bricked my NVR using the EU firmware big mistake. Waiting for my UART cables to unbrick my NVR.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you're located in the USA, I'll mail you a UART cable as I have an extra one. PM me your address.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The K41 firmware doesn't actually have that - despite the code referencing it in start.sh SSH (dropbear) is in the K51 firmware though, for the -I2 series NVRs.

You cameras may tell you where they think they come from if you try
http://camera_IP_address/SDK/language
My 3 cameras that I have active all reported back as "English"

Hacked firmware is an option. But you need a source ...
The Hikvision EU site holds a remarkable range of back firmware. But the big question is - does your NVR (maybe an AARR in the serial number?) like them?
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Back-ends/Recorder/NVR/DS-7600NI-E1(E2) 7700NI-E4/
My NVR does have a serial number with AARR... is this a good thing?

But with telnet access, and a way to get the files out of the NVR, such as a NetHDD destination, you can grab a backup copy of what's currently installed, something like:
cd /tmp
umount /dev/mtdblock2
And get mtdblock2_save off the NVR, it holds the entire firmware as a cramfs, minus the Hikvision header.
I will try to do this... when you refer to a NetHDD destination I assume you are referring to a NAS server within my home network that I have pointed the NVR to, from within the configuration... correct? I have not done this before but I would like to figure it out. Will a NAS server running on a raspberry pi using Samba for the network shares work (I found a tutorial on how to set this up)?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
when you refer to a NetHDD destination I assume you are referring to a NAS server within my home network that I have pointed the NVR to, from within the configuration... correct?
Yes, that's correct.
It's easy enough, and very convenient (to avoid all the cryptic options for a CIFS/SMB share) to define a NAS destination in the NVR web GUI.
To use it to copy files back and forward it doesn't need to be 'formatted' by the NVR.
And you can see what mount point has been used by using the 'mount' command at a shell prompt.
Example (this is an NFS share):
Code:
alastair@PC-I5 ~ $ telnet 192.168.1.211
Trying 192.168.1.211...
Connected to 192.168.1.211.
Escape character is '^]'.

dvrdvs login: root
Password: 

BusyBox v1.16.1 (2016-06-29 13:49:45 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

psh: applet not found
[root@dvrdvs /root] # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/mtdblock2 on /home/hik type cramfs (ro,relatime)
192.168.1.201:/cctv1 on /mnt/tnfs00 type nfs (rw,sync,relatime,vers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,namlen=255,acregmin=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0,soft,noac,nolock,proto=udp,port=2049,timeo=7,retrans=3,sec=sys,local_lock=all,addr=192.168.1.201)
[root@dvrdvs /root] # cd /mnt/tnfs00
[root@dvrdvs tnfs00] # ll
[snip] other files on the NAS
drwxrwxrwx    2 65534    65534         4096 Sep 26 10:04 tmp
[root@dvrdvs tnfs00] # cd tmp
[root@dvrdvs tmp] # 
[root@dvrdvs tmp] # umount /dev/mtdblock2
[root@dvrdvs tmp] # cat /dev/mtdblock2 > mtdblock2.save
[root@dvrdvs tmp] # mount /dev/mtdblock2 /home/hik
[root@dvrdvs tmp] # ll
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      16449536 Sep 27 09:52 mtdblock2.save
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       4658176 Sep 24 07:41 mycfg
[root@dvrdvs tmp] #

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Given that my cameras reported back as "English" (from http://camera_ip_address/SDK/language), and my NVR's serial number includes AARR does this mean that I should or should not worry about language mismatch on firmware upgrades?

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From someone on this forum smarter than myself:

"There is confusion in forums regarding serial numbers and region codes. Here is now you read HIK serial numbers:

Example for a DVR: DS-7608NI-E2/8P0820160211AAWR123456789WCVU
(IP camera serials are similar)

DS-7608NI-E2/8P <- model name
08 <- input channels
20160211 <- production date YYYYMMDD
A <- CPU freq (A, B, or C)
A <- DSP freq (A, B, or C)
WR <- Region code, see below
123456789 <- serial number
WCVU <- features, see below

Hikvision Region codes:
-------------
CH <- China
TW <- Taiwan
JP <- Japan
EU <- Europe
NA <- USA
WR <- World/multilanguage
HK
BJ
SH
GZ
CD
AS
RR <- Other/unspecified

The region code controls features, not UI language. There is a separate code for language in bootparams
(not in the serial #):

01 <- EN/Multi-language
02 <- Chinese, simplified
03 <- Chinese, traditional

Feature codes:
--------------
W <- Supports web
C <- Supports VT
V <- Supports VGA
L <- Supports LCD
U <- Supports USB"

I have an "RR" NVR and successfully updated with firmware from Hik-vision Europe. YMMV.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an "RR" NVR and successfully updated with firmware from Hik-vision Europe. YMMV.
YMMV indeed - I have an AARR 7816N-E2 and if I use the more recent EU firmware I get the dreaded '!!!You device is illegal !!! !!You bought the device in Chiona !!' (sic) beep beep beep and bootloop, as it has a '2' region code.
So it can be a bit of a lottery when looked at via the serial number with 'RR'.
A deeper look, for example the command 'getHardInfo', requires telnet access, which has been removed, unless it's an early (eg 3.0.8) version of firmware.
Worth trying though, and if it says Chinese it's clear, is to use this in your browser:
http://NVR_IP_address/SDK/language

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That result doesn't say for sure that you can update with no issues.
If it had said Chinese that would have been a clear answer - but when it says English it could be because the device configuration still has an 'EN' flag in it - that's not the same as the region code set in the flash during manufacture.
A CN NVR, such as my 7816N-E2, would say English and have English menus if originally loaded with an older firmware version that does not care about region (eg 3.0.8) and subsequently web GUI updated, which retains EN menus and language. Until you do a 'reset to factory defaults' or a tftp update, when it reverts to CN and Chinese menus.
I hope that makes sense.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On NVRs, the support for that URL varies with the firmware version.
But don't ask me which cos I haven't a clue.
This is 3.4.80 on a 7816N-E2:
<Language version="1.0"><type>english</type></Language>

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That result doesn't say for sure that you can update with no issues.
If it had said Chinese that would have been a clear answer - but when it says English it could be because the device configuration still has an 'EN' flag in it - that's not the same as the region code set in the flash during manufacture.
A CN NVR, such as my 7816N-E2, would say English and have English menus if originally loaded with an older firmware version that does not care about region (eg 3.0.8) and subsequently web GUI updated, which retains EN menus and language. Until you do a 'reset to factory defaults' or a tftp update, when it reverts to CN and Chinese menus.
I hope that makes sense.
That does make sense. I guess the answer is that you'll never know for sure what you have until an update breaks it! :sad2:

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not from within the same network.
I recognize that... but my question was "I am trying this command remotely (home -> cottage)", so obviously not from the same network. I was wondering if this had an impact on why I was getting the "Can't locate the url" message.

My guess is that I don't need the login / password, and that it's more likely a result of my version of the firmware, as suggested by
alastairstevenson, however I thought I would ask. I would try it with a login / password but I have no idea on what the syntax would be!

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just Telnet'd into my DS-7632N-E2/8p NVR (FW v.3.0.8, build 140825). I ran the command 'getHardInfo' and here is the result...

[root@dvrdvs /] # getHardInfo
Start at 2016-09-26 15:36:55
Serial NO :1620150415AARR514159520WCVU
V3.0.8 build 140825
KernelVersion: V1.0.0 build 140512
dspSoftVersion: V5.0 build 140816
codecVersion: V5.0 build 080808
hardwareVersion = 0xb000
encodeChans = 0
decodeChans = 16
alarmInNums = 0
alarmOutNums = 0
ataCtrlNums = 2
flashsize = 0x10
ramSize = 0x400
networksNums = 2
language = 1
devType: DS-7632N-E2/8P
bootPartition = 2
randomCode = IAMFUP

Does the fact that the language = 1 mean that the region code is 01 = EN / Multi-language?

Once again, if it is region code = 1 does that mean I have less to worry about with respect to ending up with Chinese menus?

Are you able to suggest a migration strategy..
It's not a topic I spent any great time on.
I went from 3.0.8 to 3.21 to 3.34 to 3.4.62 to 3.4.80

On the European site I found all of the FW versions except for the 3.21! Can I go straight to 3.34 from 3.21 or can someone suggest where I can find 3.21?

cd /tmp
umount /dev/mtdblock2

I also downloaded the FW version 3.08.... Is this the same FW version as the one on my NVR? Does this allow me to avoid using telnet to get a backup of my installed FW?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With the language=1 as shown above - you are in good shape for EN/ML firmware updates.
It's possible - though actually not very likely - that hacked firmware could be masquerading the language, it's common on cameras but uncommon on NVRs.
Just to be sure, you can also check the region / language with this command, which works at a lower level:
cat /proc/hkvs/bootpara

On the backup of the existing firmware - as you've already used telnet access - it's pretty easy to extract a copy of mtdblock2, that way, also with a copy of the device configuration, you can always get back where you came from.