Updated NVR firmware published - NVR_78_79_EXX_V3.4.80_160718.zip

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wozzzzzzza, I would not jump that much in firmware, do a gradual upgrade go in small increments before jumping to 3.40.90.
do you have the firmwares you used you can upload somewhere?

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
found this, do I start from the next one after my current one and just keep on going or something? then when reach the last put on alastairstevenson's modded firmware?
ftp://ftp.hikvisioneurope.com/Product%20Firmware/Back-ends/Recorder/NVR/DS-7600NI-E1(E2)%207700NI-E4/

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@GMD99 how is the upgrade going? any success? Ive got the same info as you have given above, if your upgrade goes ok I will give it a go as well.
No I have not done anything yet as I was waiting for the connectors to attach to the NVR's UART. I did receive the pieces but unfortunately my NVR is at my cottage! I plan to bring the NVR home soon to start the process but I am trying to setup a temporary camera system so that I can see what is happening there even though I will not be able to record.

wozzzzzza,

You can upload the Chinese v3.40.90 via the web GUI and it will still retain the English language. I uploaded Alairstairstevensons modded v3.4.90 with the virtual server feature. thanks Al hehehe.
Wozzzzzzza, I would not jump that much in firmware, do a gradual upgrade go in small increments before jumping to 3.40.90.
Can you explain this please....

- at what point in the upgrade process did you insert alairstairstevenson's modded firmware? Was it only for this latest version v.3.4.90 or was it modded for an earlier version that allows subsequent upgrades to work?

- is this modded firmware available?

- did you move from v3.0.8 originally?

- do you know which firmware versions you installed (Alairstar stated earlier that he went from 3.0.8 to 3.21 to 3.34 to 3.4.62 to 3.4.80)?

Thanks...

Last edited:

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so wheres 3.2.1 firmware gone? cant find anywhere.

GMD99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have looked for v3.2.1 and cannot find it either! I guess I will have to try to upgrade from v3.0.8 to v3.3.2!

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so what language firmware we downloading to try out first? the chinese ones or the English ones from here? ftp://ftp.hikvisioneurope.com/Product%20Firmware/Back-ends/Recorder/NVR/DS-7600NI-E1(E2)%207700NI-E4/
do they all have to be modified with hiktools to change the language? or what gives here? I'm getting my head around it but still a bit confused what firmware language and to get from where?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
so wheres 3.2.1 firmware gone? cant find anywhere.
In the very useful list of older firmware revisions on the Hikvision Europe site, it's no longer there. HIKVISION EUROPE
The rationale for using the intermediate versions of firmware is to get the best chance for the device configuration to be properly converted and retained.
This is because the way the configuration is stored internally has changed with the revisions, and there is no guarantee an old format would be properly handled by much newer firmware.
As for changing the language of the firmware header with Hiktools if the web GUI update complains of a 'language mismatch' - what happens after that depends on the internal language setting of the NVR. If the tftp updater is used, where there are fewer validity checks, it's easily possible to get into the 15 beep bootloop scenario of '!!! You device is illegal !!! !!!You bought in China!!!' of a CN NVR with non-CN firmware.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, but can still be reverted back to old firmware if it gets to that?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, but can still be reverted back to old firmware if it gets to that?
Yes - given the backup of mtdblock2, and the use of Hiktools to re-create the full digicap.dav firmware file, the exported copy of the device settings, and the update facility at the serial console - it's possible to return to the starting point.

fatpanda

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the Hikvision NVR DS-7608NI-E2 which came with firmware version 3.4.80. If I update to 3.4.90 from Hikvision Europe how would I know whether to select Multi Language or English firmware.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey, with firmware 3.0.8 the NVR's 76xxN-E2/8P it has a maximum recording capability I think is 3MP?? with this new firmware, will it record at higher resolution allowing use of the 4MP cameras or not??

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks heaps to @alastairstevenson I upgraded my DS-7632N-E28P from the hacked 3.0.8 straight to the latest English version of 3.4.90 build 161008 no other firmware steps along the way.
it went without a hitch, but I got everything ready, cables from china to TFTP to it if bricked, backed up the mtdblock's and just went for it and it went very smoothly without problems.
only thing I had an issue with was I have one camera that is pure chinese, it didn't recognise it due to language mismatch but set it to ONVIF in NVR and it worked fine.
@alastairstevenson did an amazing job at assisting where needed, thanks heaps.
was well worth the upgrade, got a lot of new features and the fast forward speed of playback I can now get up to x64 unlike before I could only do maximum of x8 and it was very frustratingly slow and pausing all the time for several seconds between sections, now its just a smooth playback.
now its time to order a new 4MP camera to see if that works on it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent! Great to have a nice result.
And well done for doing all the prep.

I quite like the new password reset feature, worth going through it in my view.
On the ONVIF not giving a language mismatch error with a CN camera - I have to think that's a bug in this software. Earlier versions would reject it.
So worth bearing in mind for the next version where it might get 'fixed'.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just restarted by NVR just then and it appears to of lost the entire config, wont accept the saved config either. looks like I have to redo it from the start. damn.
I had to restart it because it just started popping up the "No Resource" screens all the time, has been doing it every few days since I have upgraded to latest firmware.
anyone know why this would be??

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe 'No resource' refers to incoming bandwith being reached or exceeded.

On the configuration - a neat way to extract the system config in a reversible way is as follows:
I always do this before any significant changes.
Code:
dvrdvs login: root
Password:

BusyBox v1.16.1 (2016-06-29 13:49:45 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

psh: applet not found
[root@dvrdvs /root] # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/mtdblock2 on /home/hik type cramfs (ro,relatime)
192.168.1.201:/cctv1 on /mnt/tnfs00 type nfs (rw,sync,relatime,vers=3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,namlen=255,acregmin=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0,soft,noac,nolock,proto=udp,port=2049,timeo=7,retrans=3,sec=sys,local_lock=all,addr=192.168.1.201)
[root@dvrdvs /root] # cd /mnt/tnfs00
[root@dvrdvs tnfs00] # ll *.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         65536 Nov 22 11:52 cfg_2016-11-22.gz
[root@dvrdvs tnfs00] # dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=2017-01-01_cfg.gz bs=64k count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
65536 bytes (64.0KB) copied, 0.029415 seconds, 2.1MB/s
[root@dvrdvs tnfs00] # ll *.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         65536 Jan  1 11:13 2017-01-01_cfg.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         65536 Nov 22 11:52 cfg_2016-11-22.gz
[root@dvrdvs tnfs00] #
In the 3.4.90 firmware, the device configuration is no longer encrypted, possibly because the logon IDs and passwords are no longer held in this area.
They used to be in plain text within the encrypted segment.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks I will do this when its fully setup again incase it spits the dummy again.
but as for the no resource thing, I have measured camera bandwidth to the unit and the maximum is ever gets to is 61Mbps with the 18 cameras. it seems like windows, the more you use it the more resources it uses until browser instances stop opening up if you got too many open, but the nvr just stops displaying images instead. once restarted its ok for a few days until you start playing with it heavily again.

but one thing I have noticed is that the NVR doesn't spit the dummy every few days like it used to and just spit out about 10 minutes of morse code repeating of "beeeeeep beeeeeep beeeeeep beep beep" then finally just crash and restart. that got really annoying, even after a restart it would keep going for a while. if this NVR wasn't in a cupboard to muffle that noise it would be out the window by now.