US Elections (& Politics) :)

Reaction score
Yesterday I took my wife to the airport here in Houston to fly to NOLA to take care of her sister that just had a triple bypass. She flew Southwest from the small terminal, Terminal A.

When we entered the terminal area for check-in, the first thing I noticed was that the police were carrying ARs, complete with red-dot holographic sights. Now I had first encountered long-gun toting security in airports back in the early 1990's at London Gatwick. But they were actual Army types that were in groups of 4-5 patrolling with their heads on a swivel. I guess it was due to the IRA at the time. The only other airports I had seen this was in Trinidad in the early 1990s and in Lagos Nigeria (2004-2012). EDIT: forgot Caracas in 2004.

But these guys at IAH were not National Guard or Army. They were Houston Police in uniform. Carrying ARs, slung pointed down in the front of them.

Now granted I have not been to an airport since 2017, so maybe this is now normal here in the USA? When did this begin? Is it new? Maybe a reaction by the DHS to the MAGA Terrorism threat? (being sarcastic there).

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Yesterday I took my wife to the airport here in Houston to fly to NOLA to take care of her sister that just had a triple bypass. She flew Southwest from the small terminal, Terminal A.

When we entered the terminal area for check-in, the first thing I noticed was that the police were carrying ARs, complete with red-dot holographic sights. Now I had first encountered long-gun toting security in airports back in the early 1990's at London Gatwick. But they were actual Army types that were in groups of 4-5 patrolling with their heads on a swivel. I guess it was due to the IRA at the time. The only other airports I had seen this was in Trinidad in the early 1990s and in Lagos Nigeria (2004-2012). EDIT: forgot Caracas in 2004.

But these guys at IAH were not National Guard or Army. They were Houston Police in uniform. Carrying ARs, slung pointed down in the front of them.

Now granted I have not been to an airport since 2017, so maybe this is now normal here in the USA? When did this begin? Is it new? Maybe a reaction by the DHS to the MAGA Terrorism threat? (being sarcastic there).
I remember traveling after 9-11 and seeing National Guard at the airport with M16s....but I'm about 99.9999% sure their magazines were empty and it was just for show.

Reaction score
I remember traveling after 9-11 and seeing National Guard at the airport with M16s....but I'm about 99.9999% sure their magazines were empty and it was just for show.
I flew many, many times after 911. Domestic and international out of IAH and never saw this here until yesterday. Now I did not fly right after 911.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting thought. I was carrying at the time, of course concealed. But one of the Houston Police did glance at my right hip and I thought maybe it printed a little. But he made no mention of it to me.
I didn't realize you could walk into an airport with a concealed gun.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Your state must be different than ours. Here in Nevada, a Nevada CCW doesn’t get you onto Federal property, including Post Offices, Court Houses and Airports.
I'm in Floriduh!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
LMAO at the RINO Massachusetts gubernor.

View attachment 140101

What happened to "We Stand with Immigrants, with Refugees, with Indigenous People" on Martha's Vineyard? Why is the National Guard taking the Immigrants away? They stood by and watched them get loaded onto buses for the trip to the joint forces base. That is how they stood by. Bwahahahahahaha

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

USA police and ARs .. more typical now since the Hollywood Bank Robberies forced the LAPD to go to local gun stores to pick up ARs .. which iirc are now banned in the Republik of Kalifornia

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The bleeding heart libs are crying so hard because the bribed illegal aliens that are in red states, that they placed there to flip the vote, got moved out of that area and into their own back yard. Then, they try to make an analogy, but end up showing America how they really feel......:lol:

View attachment 140148
That's right NBC, no different than taking your trash and putting it on a plane and flying it to a dumpster in New York or Alabama or any other state in the wee hours of the morning. About the same timing as ballot dumps.