What dash cam are you using?

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
mobius action cam. i like how it looks dirt cheap so nobody will want to smash my windows for it.
super small and compact, i dont know if there is anything smaller.
the 3rd time i bought it from an ebay seller, it was a fake. looks identical but cannot configure it using the Mobius program on windows.

Ouch

n3wb
Reaction score
Mini 0803 - I love it - it's been running it since 2014. Has been fussy about the (Sandisc) SD card I first used, but the current Kingston card has been faultless. The battery is a bit tired now, and takes a few minutes to 'warm' up when it's cold out, during which it seems to prevent the camera from running.
Thinking of upgrading to the mini 0806 as they're quite cheap, but hard to justify in the warmer weather while the original is still working..

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mini 0803 - I love it - it's been running it since 2014. Has been fussy about the (Sandisc) SD card I first used, but the current Kingston card has been faultless. The battery is a bit tired now, and takes a few minutes to 'warm' up when it's cold out, during which it seems to prevent the camera from running.
Thinking of upgrading to the mini 0806 as they're quite cheap, but hard to justify in the warmer weather while the original is still working..
I had huge issues with the mini 0806, would randomly crash or stop recording, even with the shock sensor settings turned off.
GPS logging was hit and miss as well...

Maybe I had a faulty unit...who knows.

Ended up with DOD 470w cams and haven't looked back since.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Just an update. I got rid of the G1W-C (front and rear). Plastic Housing was separating apart after 1.5 years . Really not worth the trouble of warranty claim. Recently, I settled with the Viofo A119S and A118-C2. The community support is impressive. Its looking satisfactory, will update here in the next couple of days

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Returned the A118C2 (hot pixel issue and horrible night vision, lol) and picked up an A119 instead. A119S on the front windshield and A119 on the rear. Again, great community support over at DashCamTalk and Viofo's forum. Makes this a win :)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using the DDPai M6+
So far it has produced good results, but you have to either take the card out or set up a phone app to review clips.
I like that it has a little remote button you can mount and when you click the button it stores a clip of I think the last 11 sec or so of video to a separate file and a snapshot.
You can set it up to record 24/7 or just record if it detects the car has been jarred or hears a really loud noise...not sure how that triggers it.
I was concerned about the battery drain issue too so if anyone knows a good solution for that, let me know.

I'm also thinking about getting the A119 for a rear view cam or the other car as it has a lot of good reviews. (What's the diff between the A119 and the A119S mentioned above?)

I'd really like a good dual cam front \ back setup with a stashed away recording unit so if someone does grab your cam you still have the footage.

I read \ watched a lot of reviews from this guy. TECHMOAN
He is very thorough with his video reviews and did not seem to have any agenda or hidden sponsoring from what I could tell so a decent unbiased opinion I hope.
He has reviewed a lot of dashcams in his videos but he has since stopped doing dashcam reviews as of last year and has moved on to reviewing just a bunch of other misc. stuff. That stuff gets outdated quickly.

TECHMOAN Reviews

TECHMOAN YouTube Channel

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll be a lot happier with the A119

The A119S still has image quality issues which need to be resolved, though it's touted for better night time footage because it employs Sony IMX291 sensor

I recommend OCD Tronic via Amazon for the newest and latest stock

I'm using the DDPai M6+
So far it has produced good results, but you have to either take the card out or set up a phone app to review clips.
I like that it has a little remote button you can mount and when you click the button it stores a clip of I think the last 11 sec or so of video to a separate file and a snapshot.
You can set it up to record 24/7 or just record if it detects the car has been jarred or hears a really loud noise...not sure how that triggers it.
I was concerned about the battery drain issue too so if anyone knows a good solution for that, let me know.

I'm also thinking about getting the A119 for a rear view cam or the other car as it has a lot of good reviews. (What's the diff between the A119 and the A119S mentioned above?)

I'd really like a good dual cam front \ back setup with a stashed away recording unit so if someone does grab your cam you still have the footage.

I read \ watched a lot of reviews from this guy. TECHMOAN
He is very thorough with his video reviews and did not seem to have any agenda or hidden sponsoring from what I could tell so a decent unbiased opinion I hope.
He has reviewed a lot of dashcams in his videos but he has since stopped doing dashcam reviews as of last year and has moved on to reviewing just a bunch of other misc. stuff. That stuff gets outdated quickly.

TECHMOAN Reviews

TECHMOAN YouTube Channel

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The A119S still has image quality issues which need to be resolved, though it's touted for better night time footage because it employs Sony IMX291 sensor
You think so? I have 2 of them and the IQ looks good to me. They did increase the sharpness too much on the past few firmware updates but brought it back down on the newly released firmware. The night time footage is definitely better than the A119 from video's I've seen.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you running the beta firmware?

You think so? I have 2 of them and the IQ looks good to me. They did increase the sharpness too much on the past few firmware updates but brought it back down on the newly released firmware. The night time footage is definitely better than the A119 from video's I've seen.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you running the beta firmware?
No, V2.1. I'm not sure if that is the beta firmware but just relabeled if it passed testing. I never tried out the beta so I can't speak on that.

What are the quality issues you speak of?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah, that's beta
I'm going try it and update my feedback

My 119s had focus issues --- a replacement made the image quality a tad better
No, V2.1. I'm not sure if that is the beta firmware but just relabeled if it passed testing. I never tried out the beta so I can't speak on that.

What are the quality issues you speak of?

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have V1 or V2? Both of mine are V1. I need to warranty replace for V2 due to the GPS connection issue.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the V2, GPS unit is tight and snug

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Viofo WR1

Hate GPS and Speed recording preferring just a pure camera.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went through a few G1W's and versions over the last 5 years and recently picked up a Anker Roav Dash Cam C1 and I like it.
The Lock feature records 15 sec before pressing it and 15 seconds after so I don't have to lock the entire file. Which I personally like.

I'd like to upgrade to a dual dash cam at some point.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just some advice, the quality of dual cams is usually much lower than single cam.

If you want dual cams,the best way is to buy 2 separate cams, or 1 more and transfer your existing cam to the back. It usually works out cheaper as well.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, that's beta
I'm going try it and update my feedback

Is there a preferred sd card to use on these types of dash cams? Ive been looking at this model for a bit but cant decide if its that much better than the a118, thanks.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

LiveTrash

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently running with the Blackvue DR750S 2-CH. Great camera. Expensive, but has quite an extensive list of features, hot and cold weather operation, durability and sleek/discreet looks.