What is better for blueiris more cpu cores or GHz?

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So would you say a i5 6500 is underpowered or perfect for BI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I plan to add more cameras you can only turn so much off. I liked the overlay you got when you let BI re-code it made for easy backups of an event.

Does the CPU have to have integrated graphics for BI to work? I know dedicated is power hungry.
Its must be intel with quicksync, simply as that..that is ONLY available integrated...
Reencoding video is a complete waste. There is zero benefit to it...you can backup bvr...
Once again, what are you "turning off"?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So would you say a i5 6500 is underpowered or perfect for BI?

it depends on how many cameras and at what resolution...it its way more than enough for 99.9 percent of applications.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I just use the overlays from the cameras, the font in the bi overlays looks nice but it's not worth the CPU to me lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it depends on how many cameras and at what resolution...it its way more than enough for 99.9 percent of applications.
Once complete... probably 7 4mp hik cameras at full resolution and 2 foscams cheapy cheapys.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Once complete... probably 7 4mp hik cameras at full resolution and 2 foscams cheapy cheapys.

is there a reason you are going with a 4mp hikvision over say, a 2mp dahua starlight turret? In most home surveillance situations I would say the low light performance of a starlight over a hikvision isn't even a contest, those 4mp cameras get really noisy the crappier the lighting becomes and then the picture looks like shit compared to a 2mp starlight. At this point I can't see actually buying any other camera than a starlight, or if you have the coin an ultra starlight maybe in your best one or two choke points.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is there a reason you are going with a 4mp hikvision over say, a 2mp dahua starlight turret? In most home surveillance situations I would say the low light performance of a starlight over a hikvision isn't even a contest, those 4mp cameras get really noisy the crappier the lighting becomes and then the picture looks like shit compared to a 2mp starlight. At this point I can't see actually buying any other camera than a starlight, or if you have the coin an ultra starlight maybe in your best one or two choke points.
Well I already have the 4mp hik turrets. The place gave them to me for same price as 2mp. I heard a lot about what you said 2mp vs 4mp and noise. What is the cost diffeeence. I paid about $139 for the turrets. They are full us warranty not the import/gray market. I still need another 2 so open to suggestions.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I already have the 4mp hik turrets. The place gave them to me for same price as 2mp. I heard a lot about what you said 2mp vs 4mp and noise. What is the cost diffeeence. I paid about $139 for the turrets. They are full us warranty not the import/gray market. I still need another 2 so open to suggestions.

$170 each, free shipping from Andy, it CAN be a grey market but if you find a dealer with a good rep, like we have, you can buy with confidence. These same cameras would probably cost $270 from a US reseller. It is the same camera though, the money you save makes it easily worth it if you get a rare dud. Though If you go with cameras that have an excellent reputation like dahua the chances of losing one very fast is pretty low unless you abuse it some how. Buy a starlight turret and put it head to head with one of your hiks and see how you feel, I put it head to head with a 3mp hik varifocal bullet and it wasn't even a fair fight lol. I've sold off 2 hik cameras and as soon as chinese new year is over I will be replacing the last 2 I have left. My only decision at this point is how many will be starlight and how many will be ultra starlight, I should be getting an ultra next week to go up against my starlight but given the review images and videos from @nayr I am already confident it's going to kick the shit out of the starlight so it will really just come down to how many of those cameras I want to shell out for into my setup. I'm thinking probably 2 in my best choke points but who knows.

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So know one actually knows the answer to what BI does better with? I can tell zero difference with quick sync.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So know one actually knows the answer to what BI does better with? I can tell zero difference with quick sync.
You are not listening... Hardware acceleration makes a huge difference...This is basic user error...

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are not listening... Hardware acceleration makes a huge difference...This is basic user error...
I will post a picture of cpu usage with quick sync on and off so you can see my outcome.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you using Intel HD for video or do you have a card in there as well? Are you remoting into the system? Are you running the demo or licensed version...Are you recording direct to disk? There is also a separate ha setting for each camera.
Intel HD only. Each camera is set to direct to disk, BI licensed version. I remote in through BI app.

Like i said quick sync does not help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Intel HD only. Each camera is set to direct to disk, BI licensed version. I remote in through BI app.
Email support.. Something is wrong...You should be seeing a significant reduction...

David9723

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Email support.. Something is wrong...You should be seeing a significant reduction...
I have tired on a completely different system and had the same outcome that's why i don't think hardware acceleration uses less CPU.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is also a setting per camera for hardware acceleration as Fenderman asked you. Camera Properties>Video>Hardware decoding.
Check that setting and you could turn that "live preview rate" down to 3-4 fps. It will help a little.

HA makes a big difference on my system.