What is better for blueiris more cpu cores or GHz?

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So much hardware overkill in here for running Blue Iris!

We are running Blue Iris on the following:

i5-3570K (stock core speed), 8GB RAM, 2x 4TB WD Purples (in RAID-1), 1x 128 GB Sandisk SSD for the system drive

Blue Iris is running 22 Hikvision cams, the majority recording at 1080P. Each camera is set to limit the max bitrate to 2048kbps, and frame rate for each camera is 10 fps.

Blue Iris shows between 450-500 mP per second, and > 5000 kB per second of data streaming.

With the Blue Iris interface open, CPU sits steady at around 60-65%. With it closed, CPU drops to 50-55%. RAM usage hovers at around 2.5G used.

Point I'm trying to make is, hardware from 2012 can run Blue Iris very comfortably. Just pick your parts right to get QuickSync, enable hardware decoding, and enable direct to disc and it's very doable on fairly old hardware.

Last edited:

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thats a nice asrock board cheap i bet it only could handle 4-6 cams?

CrazyFin

n3wb
Reaction score
thats a nice asrock board cheap i bet it only could handle 4-6 cams?
Do you refer to my post number 60 on the previous page where I mention the Asrock J4205-ITX?
According to the specs on their page it has both H.264 and H.265 hardware decoding and that it can cope with up to 48 IP cameras running H.265 feeds in 704x576 resolution (which is only 0.39MP camera).
Running 3-5MP cameras will probably lower number of cameras to the 4-6 cams that you indicate.
Asrock J4205-ITX with hardware decoding of H.265

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you refer to my post number 60 on the previous page where I mention the Asrock J4205-ITX?
According to the specs on their page it has both H.264 and H.265 hardware decoding and that it can cope with up to 48 IP cameras running H.265 feeds in 704x576 resolution (which is only 0.39MP camera).
Running 3-5MP cameras will probably lower number of cameras to the 4-6 cams that you indicate.
Asrock J4205-ITX with hardware decoding of H.265
yes

wseaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Direct to disc is not viable in all situations. Your workflow may not be my workflow.
I would think that AMD's sprawl with cores approach might yield more bang per buck with H264/H265, although it's an exception. Normally you are better off with fewer cores and more efficacy per core (Intel).
That said I love to use Lenovo e3-1225 servers because they are cheap, rugged and fast. Have yet to max one out with BI.
One consideration I found when dealing with CPU utilization is camera quality. Cleaner, lower noise cameras take less over head when it comes to H264/265 than higher noise cameras. My older Axis cameras for instance with their high noise floor make a much harder CPU hit than my newer Hikvisions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Direct to disc is not viable in all situations. Your workflow may not be my workflow.
I would think that AMD's sprawl with cores approach might yield more bang per buck with H264/H265, although it's an exception. Normally you are better off with fewer cores and more efficacy per core (Intel).
That said I love to use Lenovo e3-1225 servers because they are cheap, rugged and fast. Have yet to max one out with BI.
One consideration I found when dealing with CPU utilization is camera quality. Cleaner, lower noise cameras take less over head when it comes to H264/265 than higher noise cameras. My older Axis cameras for instance with their high noise floor make a much harder CPU hit than my newer Hikvisions.
AMD will never offer more bank per buck..since it does not offer hardware acceleration and is much less power efficient than modern intel processors. When you can buy an i5-6500 pc for about 300 dollars with full warranty amd is makes zero sense, ever.

TIM0089

n3wb
Reaction score
So much hardware overkill in here for running Blue Iris!

We are running Blue Iris on the following:

i5-3570K (stock core speed), 8GB RAM, 2x 4TB WD Purples (in RAID-1), 1x 128 GB Sandisk SSD for the system drive

Blue Iris is running 22 Hikvision cams, the majority recording at 1080P. Each camera is set to limit the max bitrate to 2048kbps, and frame rate for each camera is 10 fps.

Blue Iris shows between 450-500 mP per second, and > 5000 kB per second of data streaming.

With the Blue Iris interface open, CPU sits steady at around 60-65%. With it closed, CPU drops to 50-55%. RAM usage hovers at around 2.5G used.

Point I'm trying to make is, hardware from 2012 can run Blue Iris very comfortably. Just pick your parts right to get QuickSync, enable hardware decoding, and enable direct to disc and it's very doable on fairly old hardware.
That seems very impressive. I just got an i5-3570 for around $140 with 8GB RAM. Are all these cameras recording always or only on Motion?

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That seems very impressive. I just got an i5-3570 for around $140 with 8GB RAM. Are all these cameras recording always or only on Motion?
Only on motion. I get about 50 days of recording with this setup. If the cams were recording 10 hours a day that capacity would drop substantially.

I'm now running 24 cams (will be adding another one in a couple months), and the system is working just great. Slurps about 70 watts of power supporting this usage pattern, so it costs my business less than $8 a month to run.

TIM0089

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible for Blue Iris to look at the stream continuously, and if a motion is detected at time t, start storing the footage from time (t-x minutes) to the disk? That way, when a motion is detected, I will have some initial context as well?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it possible for Blue Iris to look at the stream continuously, and if a motion is detected at time t, start storing the footage from time (t-x minutes) to the disk? That way, when a motion is detected, I will have some initial context as well?
it's called record on trigger, you can also have a pre trigger buffer.