What is better for blueiris more cpu cores or GHz?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tired on a completely different system and had the same outcome that's why i don't think hardware acceleration uses less CPU.
All the rest of us are telling you otherwise.... I have it working and effective on 20+ blue iris machines... Likey something you are doing wrong.. Just don't know what..

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It would also be helpful to know more about your cameras. Frame rate? Bit rate? Resolution?
Fenderman asked that too...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
the help file says if you have tons of cameras doing post processing can actually hurt, outside of that I'm not sure, is quick sync a setting in your bios that needs to be turned on? :\ the feature works wonders, the only question is, why isn't it working wonders for you lol.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question along same lines... Not wanting to hijack thread. I have i7-4770 3.4 4 core, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7500 1024MB. Currently 5 Hik 4MP 20fps cameras and 2 foscams, all direct to disc when motion. I enabled Hardware Acceleration in BI Options, fresh system reboot with only BI running and I hover between 50-65% CPU and 4,111MB RAM. Are you able to provide insight on if that sounds about right based on my system?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Question along same lines... Not wanting to hijack thread. I have i7-4770 3.4 4 core, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7500 1024MB. Currently 5 Hik 4MP 20fps cameras and 2 foscams, all direct to disc when motion. I enabled Hardware Acceleration in BI Options, fresh system reboot with only BI running and I hover between 50-65% CPU and 4,111MB RAM. Are you able to provide insight on if that sounds about right based on my system?
How much did CPU drop after you turned on HA?

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah sorry, Assuming VERA starts up automatically with computer, not sure how I can measure that as I don't see it in the task manager, doesn't that run based on the chip/RAM inside of the VERA unit? When going into Task Manager, no HA is there, next thing in line is Google Chrome 3.2% and 195MB RAM

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I mean ha as on hardware acceleration, look at total CPU usage in task manager with acceleration in bi turned off, then turn it on, no need to reboot Windows just close bi after the change.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So w/ BI OPTIONS > CAMERAS > Intel HD set to Yes+VPP,
CPU total in taskmanager is approx 52-56%,
Closing BI (but still running as service), total CPU 42-44%
Ending BI in Task Manager total CPU 5-10%

BI OPTIONS > CAMERAS > Intel HD set to NO,
CPU total in taskmanger is approx 55-60%
Closing BI (still running as service), total CPU 39-42%
Ending BI in Task Manager total CPU 4-8%

Doesn't seem to make a significant difference... I don't have to go into each camera to turn it on, correcT? It's set to DEFAULT in each camera property.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So w/ BI OPTIONS > CAMERAS > Intel HD set to Yes+VPP,
CPU total in taskmanager is approx 52-56%,
Closing BI (but still running as service), total CPU 42-44%
Ending BI in Task Manager total CPU 5-10%

BI OPTIONS > CAMERAS > Intel HD set to NO,
CPU total in taskmanger is approx 55-60%
Closing BI (still running as service), total CPU 39-42%
Ending BI in Task Manager total CPU 4-8%

Doesn't seem to make a significant difference... I don't have to go into each camera to turn it on, correcT? It's set to DEFAULT in each camera property.
I dont think hardware acceleration works when you run bi as a service.... I seem to recall reading that somewhere...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to remove the amd card..blue iris needs to utilize the intel hd...it is sometimes possible to run both simultaneously but it doesnt seem like its working..there is zero benefit to the amd card.
Also DONT use VPP as you indicated you are using....

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
it does...
Okay cool, thought I read that but who knows haha.
You need to remove the amd card..blue iris needs to utilize the intel hd...it is sometimes possible to run both simultaneously but it doesnt seem like its working..there is zero benefit to the amd card.
Also DONT use VPP as you indicated you are using....

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought a i7 6700 gen 6 processor 16gb of ram and a 730 gpu hopefully this will be enough power for 3 2np cams and a 2mp ptz

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought a i7 6700 gen 6 processor 16gb of ram and a 730 gpu hopefully this will be enough power for 3 2np cams and a 2mp ptz
way more then enough...single digit cpu consumption...remove the 730, waste of energy and you want intel HD for hardware acceleration

CrazyFin

n3wb
Reaction score
way more then enough...single digit cpu consumption...remove the 730, waste of energy and you want intel HD for hardware acceleration
I´ve been reading through this thread with great interest! Thanks @fenderman for great and educational comments!

I´ve been using BlueIris for the past 3 years and I am really satisfied with how the software works and the extremely low price for it compared to other well-known software brands out there that costs a LOT more than BlueIris.

I currently have 4 AXIS cameras around my house connected to BlueIris. 3 of the AXIS P3346-VE 3MP and 1 AXIS P3364-VE 1.2MP. I have 2 more P3346-VE 3MP to be connected in the spring and also a Vivotek FD9381-EHTV 5MP (not connected yet).

I am experiencing small jitter/stuttering images and I am suspecting the AXIS cameras for this but I will make my own thread for the discussion of those issues. Hopefully I can climb up and mount my new Vivotek FD9381-EHTV some sunny day in March when it is not below zero Celsius outdoors. :)

I just wanted to comment on that I had as well thought that having a powerful computer with a powerful graphics card would be the solution to my stuttering problems but it was not.

My dedicated surveillance PC has the following specs:

Motherboard is Asus X99-A (X99-A | Motherboards | ASUS Global)
CPU Intel Core i7 5820K / Haswell-E/EP
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Number of cores 6 (max 8)
Number of threads 12 (max 16)
RAM is 16GB
Graphics card is Asustek NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 with 2GB graphics RAM.
All this running on Windows 10 PRO 64-bit OS.

With the above specs and the 4 cameras running at full frame rate (20fps for the 3 x P3346-VE:s and 25 fps for the P3364-VE) I am normally at just 10-15% load, 1.5GB RAM usage and temps around 40-45 degrees Celsius for the different cores.

@fenderman: So what you are saying I would be much better off by removing my dedicated graphics card GeForce GTX 770 and just use the built-in Intel Graphics and turn on the "Hardware decoding: Yes (no VPP)" under the Video tab for EACH camera?
upload_2017-2-7_11-26-25.png

What makes me a little bit confused is that if I do not understand it completely wrong the CPU I have has no built-in graphics and I therefore need a dedicated graphics card?
Specs for the Core i7-5820K: Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz) Specifications and having a dedicated card like the GTX 770 means that I actually should turn OFF hardware decoding completely since it is only applicable when using Intel HD Graphics GPU:s?

I am now thinking of getting rid of this energy consuming monster and instead try out the new Asrock J4205-ITX motherboard with built-in hardware decoding of both H.264 and H.265 formats:
ASRock > J4205-ITX

I am using such a motherboard for my HTPC and it works perfectly fine with 4K movies.

Ooops! Sorry for this massive post! (I will now start writing my own thread about my AXIS cameras with stuttering video even though my network, hardware and software seems to be fully working as it should.)

Attachments

Last edited: