What is the best PTZ Ip camera that Amazon sells in the $800 range?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually this community is tiny. It has probably 10 active members (which you can tell by number of posts) who respond to the same questions over and over and the rest are readers who occasionally join for a a few questions like you did and then don't come back.

Anyway, looks like you already did research so your choice is fine if you are willing to spend that much money.
There are much more than 10 folks actively responding to threads. Some obviously more than others. This is by an order of magnitude the most active camera forum on the internet. It is simply that some folks are too lazy to do any work on their own...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
There are much more than 10 folks actively responding to threads. Some obviously more than others. This is by an order of magnitude the most active camera forum on the internet. It is simply that some folks are too lazy to do any work on their own...
I said probably, so daily member activity might be a bit higher, but you can tell by looking at member list there are just 10 folks with 1000+ posts, this is tiny in comparison to other forums which are non IP camera related, but maybe this is the largest in the IP camera there is:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/memberlist.php?&pp=30&order=desc&sort=posts

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I said probably, so daily member activity might be a bit higher, but you can tell by looking at member list there are just 10 folks with 1000+ posts, this is tiny in comparison to other forums which are non IP camera related, but maybe this is the largest in the IP camera there is:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/memberlist.php?&pp=30&order=desc&sort=posts
This forum has only been around for less than 2.5 years...So if someone joined last year and posted every day they would only have 365 posts.
The total post count per user doesn't tell the entire story.
IP cameras are a special niche...We have at least 10x the activity of the closest competitor.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
just posting to stay ahead @klasipca..

lol @ amazon heh, I have a question.. whats the best car wallmart sells?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have at least 10x the activity of the closest competitor.
You would have much more if your members where not running away the new blood. People have to start somewhere, kindly pointing out to people where to begin does not require any skill. I think you would be amaze at how many more people you would retain if they had a positive experience.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You would have much more if your members where not running away the new blood. People have to start somewhere, kindly pointing out to people where to begin does not require any skill. I think you would be amaze at how many more people you would retain if they had a positive experience.
There's a big problem here with what you are saying. You've only been here a month so you probably haven't seen it.

I take time to help people who ask the right questions get a good system. I take the time to help people who have made a genuine mistake. I take the time to help idiots who then throw it in your face. These idiots are usually the ones who have done no research and are trying to cheap-ass it to save barely enough money for even one night out. 99% of these people are never heard of again and add no more value. I'm not bothered by that, the thread remains and maybe it will help people in the future.

But this is a case of CTTECH not being bothered doing any research or having any humility in his replies. He's one of those idiots who will no doubt come back with a chinese Hikvision (at best or complete crap like Sricam) he got cheap and tried to firmware update and now blame everyone but himself for it being a huge brick. This will probably end up with one of us helping getting annoyed with him and then not helping someone else because of it. It happens to the best of us too and I'm not the most helpful person here, I try to help but I'm a hobbyist not a pro.

If you want to get off your high horse and help then I'll direct all these idiots to you instead and I'll concentrate on the nice people.

Most of us here are happy to help, we just don't want unnecessary attitude from those asking for help as it then puts us off helping others. I know this has happened for me in the past.

Btw, We all have to start somewhere and I started by reading a lot on here, I learnt from a few mistakes and that's why I recommend 4mm and 6mm to people when the most common mistake is 2.8mm which even pro installers fit wrong. Not by posting "What's the best camera?"

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do not own any horses :p I think it would be helpful if we compiled some information as the Must read before asking any type of questions. That is popular in forums and if members read it they will be able to ask better questions. Plus it is easy to direct them to a particular post? I am learning, have not purchased any cameras, but trust and believe that after I am over the learning curve I will give back to the community. But I understand what you are saying, I can see both sides.

Unfortunately when it comes to Security cameras, there are too many variables that will influence the best camera for the job.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not own any horses :p I think it would be helpful if we compiled some information as the Must read before asking any type of questions. That is popular in forums and if members read it they will be able to ask better questions. Plus it is easy to direct them to a particular post? I am learning, have not purchased any cameras, but trust and believe that after I am over the learning curve I will give back to the community. But I understand what you are saying, I can see both sides.

Unfortunately when it comes to Security cameras, there are too many variables that will influence the best camera for the job.
Fantastic post. We are all learning. We have stickies and these people ignore them. We have search and these people ignore them. They will ignore them unfortunately.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Fact: Video Surveillance designed and installed by professionals costs alot of Money.
Fact: Video Surveillance designed and installed by amateurs whom cant google worth a damn will not be effective.
Fact: Asking Professionals to design a Video Surveillance system for free by amateurs whom cant google for a damn just pisses the Pro's off.

Asking for advice from the pro's is what we are here for, we will give our advice.. not for your benifit alone, but for the benefit of all whom come after you.. but most people are not asking for advice in there first posts, they are asking for a full blown professional consultation and providing minimal information and unreasonable expectations.. We are not going to design a system for you to install for free, and you cant afford to pay us or you'd of just hired a pro in the first place... Help those whom help them selves.

To put it into a Car Analogy, We wont fix your car for you, but we will teach you how to work on your car.. presuming you show enough initiative to actually learn.. dont get pissy with the free Mechanics or they will just walk away and leave you with a heap of scrap to figure out on your own... our time and experience is valuable, dont waste it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The folks that have a negative experience are few...those folks most often deserve it....not enough to make a dent in the member count which is over 22k.
This forum is not an internet safe space where folks need to be coddled akin to college campuses. If the OP cant be bothered to post a link then user cant be bothered to help.
Its really simple. OP had two choices in response to the thread posts. 1) say "got it guys, here are the cams I was looking at" and post a few links...2) act like a passive aggressive asshole. The former would have gotten OP some great advice. OP chose the latter.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking for a PTZ 2mp with a 30x Zoom like the Dahua 2MP 1080p Network IR PTZ Dome IP Camera. I don't want to deal with China direct because having to deal with shipping it back would be too expensive and there is no recourse if something goes wrong. I like Amazon and if something is bad, as soon as I ship it back and hand it to UPS, the money is back in my account that night. I also like their 2 year warranty you can purchase for electronic items. I would just like people's opinions that have bought different camera's from Amazon.

Thanks
If I had experience with a PTZ I'd try to help you out.

If you are new here try and listen more instead of being defensive.

Maybe just apologize and rephrase the question or something. I don't know. Either way you'll get better information.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum

Anyways here's a link to the specs on some Dahua PTZ cams.

http://dahuawiki.com/USA/IPCamera/PTZ/

if you don't have it already.