What is the de-bricking process for HIKVision camera and NVR firmware updates?

maxideus

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, although, my NVR is in the 192.168.0..xxx/24 subnet. I know this for sure because I can ping the address of 192.168.0.249, the address I had initially given the NVR. Now if I change my laptop address to the 192.0.0.xxx/24 subnet, I was unable to ping the NVR of 192.0.0.64.

Again, when I first opened the NVR, I did get into it to change the IP address and the admin password successfully. Even after the botched firmware update, it still has the same IP address I had given it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesnt matter where you NVR or camera is, the tftp server MUST be at 192.0.0.128

maxideus

n3wb
Reaction score
It doesnt matter where you NVR or camera is, the tftp server MUST be at 192.0.0.128
I can try that then. It just doesn't make sense if my computer can't ping 192.0.0.64 while in the 192.0.0.x/24 subnet.

Will report back.

EDIT: REPORTING BACK

It worked! The trick was that the NVR needed to be rebooted multiple times for it to finally detect the TFTP server. I am so relived, thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Odd. But shouldn't the TFTP server have an IP address of 192.168.0.128 for updating Hikvision cameras and NVRs?
Sorry - I had meant 192.0.0.128 but wasn't paying enough attention and made a typo. Doh.

themorey

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to successfully get the TFTP update to happen with a POE switch between the PC and IPC? From the switch I unplug the RJ45 to the camera, wait 5 min, connect it and nothing happens. My PC is able to eventually ping the IPC at 192.0.0.64 but the TFTP server never connects, it just sits there with "initialized" status.

Do i need to do this with a direct cable and external power supply???

thanks..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to successfully get the TFTP update to happen with a POE switch between the PC and IPC? From the switch I unplug the RJ45 to the camera, wait 5 min, connect it and nothing happens. My PC is able to eventually ping the IPC at 192.0.0.64 but the TFTP server never connects, it just sits there with "initialized" status.

Do i need to do this with a direct cable and external power supply???

thanks..
yes, make sure that the pc and the camera are the only things plugged into the switch...make sure you make the changes to the pc's ip address as the instructions indicate.

themorey

n3wb
Reaction score
yes, make sure that the pc and the camera are the only things plugged into the switch...make sure you make the changes to the pc's ip address as the instructions indicate.
Thanks. My problem appeared to be Spanning-Tree on the Cisco switch. When I enabled portfast on the switch ports of the camera and PC it worked instantly. I also found that telnetting to the camera (root/12345) and rebooting from its CLI was better than pulling the RJ45 from the switch (it came back faster).

BTW, instead of unplugging everything from my switch to segregate the IPC and PC I just created a new VLAN for those ports.

bolton

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I hope someone can help me, I am new to this forum I have a hikvision nvr and I had a power failure and now the thing wont boot up it just keeps restarting itself so I come to the conclusion the firm ware is missing. I tried the TFTP firmware update all talks to it properly but I am getting a weird error that I don't understand

[2015-01-019 10:42:25] Open file failure[C:\TFTP-Auto-Update\econt_Vision-AV2000]

I would appreciate anyone's help the unit is only 8 months old but it is not under warranty because I did not buy it from authorised dealer (amazon)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I hope someone can help me, I am new to this forum I have a hikvision nvr and I had a power failure and now the thing wont boot up it just keeps restarting itself so I come to the conclusion the firm ware is missing. I tried the TFTP firmware update all talks to it properly but I am getting a weird error that I don't understand

[2015-01-019 10:42:25] Open file failure[C:\TFTP-Auto-Update\econt_Vision-AV2000]

I would appreciate anyone's help the unit is only 8 months old but it is not under warranty because I did not buy it from authorised dealer (amazon)
A power failure would not cause this issue..may have been a surge...was this unit plugged into a quality surge protector ?

bolton

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi thank you for your reply.
It was plugged into a ups with a surge protector build in. But the power was off for quite a while so think it all shut down. Then it never booted back up again. it starts up then just restarts itself again over and over again.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Strange.....

I tried the TFTP firmware update all talks to it properly but I am getting a weird error that I don't understand

Why is tftp looking for econt_Vision-AV2000, which seems to be a camera file ?

Run the tftp.exe on its own, and click on edit / option and make sure that its pointing to the digicap.dav which is in the same Auto Update folder.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to attached a serial cable to the NVR and get the console message form the boot loader?

bolton

n3wb
Reaction score
Strange.....

Why is tftp looking for econt_Vision-AV2000, which seems to be a camera file ?

Run the tftp.exe on its own, and click on edit / option and make sure that its pointing to the digicap.dav which is in the same Auto Update folder.

Hi
Ive tried that already and it is pointing to the right file in edit. I've also tried on 3 different laptops and a pc all come up with the same error.

bolton

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. That was my next thing to try serial cable. But need to find a pc will serial port..

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are 'we' convinced that nothing else is on the network other than the nvr and the pc / laptop that's set to 192.0.0.128, and using a direct cable or cross over cable and talking to 192.0.0.64

Nothing else connected to anything ?

bolton

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it's just the laptop and nvr connected to one another no hub nothing else is connected and wifi is off.. Its so frustrating.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
We've seen that file reference elsewhere on this forum - I don't think there was an explanation of why such a foreign file would appear on a Hikvision NVR TFTP firmware update activity.​
But - what's interesting is the IP address that's connecting is that of the base of the network segment that Hikvision NVRs use by default for the PoE ports.
Presumably your PC and NVR are both still the only devices on the LAN - and no cameras still plugged in to the PoE ports?
And no PoE ports wired in to your LAN?