What is the de-bricking process for HIKVision camera and NVR firmware updates?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have pinged the DVR with an IP 192.0.0.64 and got a response.
Is this just for a second or 2 after power-on, or is it continuous responses?
If continuous, try a telnet session to 192.0.0.64

Given no success with the tftp updater, then next step would be to connect to the on-board serial console, assuming it has one like other Hikvision products, which will allow a manual firmware update.
Some useful info here : https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2666-UART-connection-to-recover-Hik-cameras?highlight=uart
Except that the JST connector should be 1.5mm, not the 1.25mm mentioned.

fadsn001

n3wb
Reaction score
The ping is just after power on.

I tried a working 7108HGHI-F1 DVR and did not connect with tftp also so the problem is from the PC.
I have tried a desktop and a laptop but both with win7 and they didn't worked so now I am installing windows xp on one of them in order to see if it is from the win7.

I prefer not to go with the serial console solution as I don't have an advanced knowledge in such things.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer not to go with the serial console solution as I don't have an advanced knowledge in such things.
On the NVRs (at least on the 76xx/78xx that I have seen) the options are simple, something like:
Do you want to do firmware update, what IP address for the NVR, what IP address for the tftp server (normal one, not Hikvision), do you want to update?
And that's it, just a Q&A session.

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does someone have multilianguge firmware for DS-7108NP NVR

I bought device from china it only came with English, French, Spanish,Chinese

I need German language

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Had one of my 6 cameras (DS-2CD2132-I) running V4.0.9 130106 which wouldn't take an update (kept saying failed after trying for several minutes through web interface). Thought I'd give this a whirl but looks like I've bricked it now :(

First it wouldn't connect to the TFTP server (192.0.0.128) at all. Had a ping running to 192.0.0.64 the whole time and never saw a response. It would just boot to its allocated IP (plugged another laptop into the switch after waiting several minutes and could connect on its allocated address).

Read on this thread to try lots of reboots and once I got a few ping responses and "test tftp-server", but no more. Now its not even booting to its allocated address and I can't reach it at all.

Any other ideas please?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a few ping responses and "test tftp-server", but no more.
With no file transmit, that should not have made any changes to the camera at all.
Was the PC on a wired connection (not WiFi)?
It would be worth trying another PC if you can. The tftp updater would normally work consistently, there is no reason why it should erratic. I've used it loads of times, on lots of cameras, and have never seen any variable behaviour.

If the tftp updater just doesn't work - the next step along the way, if you feel it's worth your time and effort, would be the serial console connection.

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With no file transmit, that should not have made any changes to the camera at all.
Was the PC on a wired connection (not WiFi)?
It would be worth trying another PC if you can. The tftp updater would normally work consistently, there is no reason why it should erratic. I've used it loads of times, on lots of cameras, and have never seen any variable behaviour.

If the tftp updater just doesn't work - the next step along the way, if you feel it's worth your time and effort, would be the serial console connection.
PC was wired, connected to same switch. Pinged the Camera from the PC first. Then changed its IP to 192.0.0.128. Then pulled camera cable and reinserted to reboot it.

Saw nothing on TFTP server, so plugged in my MAC and changed its IP to the 192.0.0.0/24 subnet and verified I could hit the TFTP server (to make sure it wasn't firewall or anything on the PC). Then read this thread and saw people mention it can take several reboots on some devices. So did that. Also ran a ping to 192.0.0.64 from PC. Just the once I got a few pings and the test tftp server. Periodically I plugged my MAC in (on the allocated subnet for the Cam) to make sure it booted and was still good.

Eventually after a dozen attempts I lost the camera. Not reachable on allocated IP and not connecting to TFTP server :/

Not sure Serial hack is worth the effort. May just be better of getting a new camera. Really wishing I hadn't bothered with Hikvision now. Keep on thinking i've got it all sorted then something else pops up.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Really wishing I hadn't bothered with Hikvision now. Keep on thinking i've got it all sorted then something else pops up.
There is no doubt that their traps and pitfalls on firmware updates are a pain in the proverbial. And a big waste of everyone's one's time.
They should either fully validate if the firmware is suitable for the specific camera/NVR, as Dahua do, or spend less time trying to catch their (low-cost-bought-online but still customers) customers out.
Where are you based?

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no doubt that their traps and pitfalls on firmware updates are a pain in the proverbial. And a big waste of everyone's one's time.
They should either fully validate if the firmware is suitable for the specific camera/NVR, as Dahua do, or spend less time trying to catch their (low-cost-bought-online but still customers) customers out.
Where are you based?
I'm in London.

At the time I bought the 6 giving me trouble I had no idea about their issue with grey market :/ Someone mentioned a Costco US deal, but Costco UK only had analogue cameras at the time. There wasn't much availability here and these were well reviewed and seemed like a good option. Recently decided to actually use them and grabbed a couple of UK ones to complete the setup, simply because they are more readily available here now.

I'm just hoping I can get these last steps resolved and just leave them running. As I suspect any intervention will likely lead to one step forward, two steps back, etc...

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ordered a PL2303HX TTL UART (I've already got one but can't find the bloody thing) and will give the serial recovery a go and report back. Its probably cost me more in time then buying a new camera but I can't let it go now :D

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know the feeling!
Did you get the required connectors too?
I got one with two individual 5 way leads (one set male to male and one female to female). I do have plenty of molex connectors/leads laying around, but it was only a 90p more and gives flexibility for the future. Although I likely won't be able to find it next time I need it, just like the last one I have somewhere :D

Reaction score
I'd just like to add my recent experience. Had a customer's 7608NI-E1 NVR ready to upgrade firmware. (I noticed quite a few of those models were mentioned in this thread. It's the first HIKv NVR I've ever had do this during a firmware upgrade.

I was connected to it from my laptop via wifi. (not sure but that may have been the problem) anyway, ran the firmware upgrade, appeared to be going smooth and then nothing. NVR totally bricked, no video from HDMI/VGA, no presence on SADP, etc. I took it back to the shop and began studying this thread, and experimenting the hikvision tftp (which by the way is hard to find anymore. I found it on an archive.org site via a google search). Like others it took about 5-6 tries and a few mistakes. I'll try to list frtom best of my memory what was going on that finally worked.

Used a switch between NVR and PC
used the 192.168.0.128 and tftp program
I did NOT rename the digicap file to digcap like the readme instructions suggested. (I did at first and then renamed it back to digicap and it worked).
turned all windows firewalls off on PC
ran and ping to NVR 192.168.0.64 -t and was finally able to get a reply (like only 2)
then a few trial and error starts of the tftp program and the NVR.
What finally worked was double clicking the program and powering up the NVR at exactly the same time. Once it connnects it's immediate, like in the first 5 seconds. I had no luck on previous attempts waiting the 5-6 minutes like some others.
The transfer process was pretty quick (like under a minute) and then another 4 or so minutes to apply it. I looked up and saw 8 beautiful "No Video" squares on the monitor.
Just had to go back in and reset all of the customers setting/IP's, DDNS, etc and all worked like a champ. Even the previously stored video was still there.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was connected to it from my laptop via wifi. (not sure but that may have been the problem)
I'd lay bets that was the cause.
But well done for getting there in the end!

(which by the way is hard to find anymore. I found it on an archive.org site via a google search).
You've got it now - but is it the same version as here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
Probably is, with the digicap.dav typo ...

If you've updated to the 3.4.90 version or higher - I'd recommend making use of the new 'password reset' feature - it's pretty good.

Reaction score
I'd lay bets that was the cause.
But well done for getting there in the end!

You've got it now - but is it the same version as here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
Probably is, with the digicap.dav typo ...

If you've updated to the 3.4.90 version or higher - I'd recommend making use of the new 'password reset' feature - it's pretty good.
Is that reset feature something different than emailing the request to HIKVision tech support? I'd love to have something I could administer locally without having to wait for a reply. They claim 30 minutes, but I've had times where I NEVER heard back. Was fortunately able to reset via that tool on this site.

sjwj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a DS-2CD2345-I with v5.4.0 firware bought online (chinese). SOmehow I managed to forget the password?. Read a lot of topics here so tried to re-firware with TFTP.

As the picture below shows it goes well till "completed file" but never reaches "system update completed". So I must be doing something wrong!

I tried to load the following firmwares:
1) 5.30 Downgrader (from this forum)
2) digicap_brickfix540_CN and digicap_brickfix540_EN (from this forum)
3) IPC_R6_EN_STD_5.4.5_170124 (from hikvision ftp)

but none worked. What do I do wrong?

Many thx!

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2345-I with v5.4.0 firware bought online (chinese)
Was this sold as 'Original English, upgradeable'?
If not - it's likely a CN camera running 'hacked to EN' firmware to give EN menus.
Be aware also that as of the 5.4.0 firmware, there is an anti-rollback block in place preventing the use of earlier firmware versions.

5.30 Downgrader (from this forum)
That's for R0 cameras only, not compatible.
digicap_brickfix540_CN and digicap_brickfix540_EN (from this forum)
Also only for R0 cameras.
Your 2345 is an R6, presumably CN, camera.
IPC_R6_EN_STD_5.4.5_170124 (from hikvision ftp)
If your camera is a CN camera, maybe running 'hacked to EN firrmware, the EN firmware will be rejected.
Read a lot of topics here so tried to re-firware with TFTP.
A tftp update with the correct stock firmware will likely make the camera revert to CN menus as well as clearing the configuration.
You could, though, configure it OK in English using the 'Batch Configuration Tool' : Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

If the camera is a CN R6 series camera - there is a chance this CN firmware for a similar model would work : http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_714.html

sjwj

n3wb
Reaction score
Sold as original altough I knew price/aliexpress it was not so original :)

The firmware from your link did not reach the succes state either. I waited for 15 minutes. How do I know my series names (ie R6)?

Many thanks for your support so far

edit: added sticker

IMG_1114.JPG

Last edited: