What is wrong with my DS-2CD2532F-IWS night vision?

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys
I just installed DS-2CD2532F-IWS on my parents house (4mm, V5.3.0 build 150814)
Day time image looks fine (I think):

But night time really suffers =(

Can someone please share some tips on how to make it better? I guess more light would help it a lot (like a sensor light). I just did not expect that the image will be so pure

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unlikely. Day time is ok, and was only installed yesterday

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unlikely. Day time is ok, and was only installed yesterday
Ir reflection due to improper installation... Search the forum for the solution.
Also, even when you get it working, the mini dome has very weak IR..you have chosen the wrong camera for the application...You will need to add external lighting or ir..

Last edited:

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, Fenderman. Will try cleaning/adjusting this week.
They do not need to clearly see the road, but someone walking up the driveway towards the house.
It was the best that I could find for the price last year. Something that was small FF, had WiFi, SD card and working with EZVIZ service.
Can you recommend any other cameras with similar features (for my house)? I do not want to have a separate NVR running, so having them all accessible from one app is fantastic

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had no chance to go to their place today, but turned off IR lights on the camera remotely

Apart from the grainy image, does it look OK? I turned sharpness all the way down, but still grainy.
Will be there tomorrow and will see if dome cleaning/adjusting will do anything to the IR image

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The grainy image is coming from the camera's gain trying to overcome the lack of light. If you want less grain you either need a slower shutter speed (resulting in blurring moving objects) or more light (resulting in faster shutter speed, lower gain, better image).

If you're trying to just get the driveway, I'd switch to a higher mm lens, Your camera has a lot of wasted space looking at trees and the neighbor's yard.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The grainy image is coming from the camera's gain trying to overcome the lack of light. If you want less grain you either need a slower shutter speed (resulting in blurring moving objects) or more light (resulting in faster shutter speed, lower gain, better image).

If you're trying to just get the driveway, I'd switch to a higher mm lens, Your camera has a lot of wasted space looking at trees and the neighbor's yard.
Thank you for clarifying. This is 4mm lens (or was meant to be - this is what I ordered). Only had an option for 2.8, 4, 6mm I think.
I'll see if IR lights will have any impact on the image tomorrow. May have to leave as is now and put a sensor light pointing down the driveway.
Problem will be that the light will shine right in the face when going up towards the garage in a car at night

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure what you need the movement part for, it's IR light, it is always on once the sun goes down. You can't see IR with your eye, only the camera can.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You do know even motion sensors use power when they are off?

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You do know even motion sensors use power when they are off?
I do, but not that much power. This IR light would use more power than the camera.
An update - just got back from my parents place. No good news - dome is clean, foam seal is blocking IR from the lens OK... The only thing I have not tried is to point it lower, but then it will not cover the road. I will try getting IR illuminator of some sort to try and see if it helps.
What settings do you guys have your cameras while on night mode? At the moment my exposure is set to 1/3. I tried walking towards a camera - did not recognize myself. Setting it to 1/25 - too dark and still get motion blur

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How much power usage is too much? The cameras only use ~2-3 watts, the IR illuminator probably uses around the same amount of power as a turbo charging phone.

1/3 is way too slow for night. I use 1/30.

If you're wanting to be able to identify people's faces you're going to need something higher than 4mm anyway. You could keep your 4mm on the garage for an overview, then get something 6-12mm for peeking at peoples faces from a lower position?