What should I pay for EliteDesk, 800-G3 , i5 7500 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win 10 Pro?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, down the rabbit hole I go...

Just wondering for those that might be up on pricing of a build for Blue Iris...

What would be a good fair price range for an Elitedesk: Intel i5-7500 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win 10 Pro

I'm looking for more of a tower build, rather than the super small form factor, so that I could for sure put in 2 - 3.5" HDDs for storage, and an SSD for the OS.

This would be strictly a home Blue Iris build that I would put out on a shelf in the garage and would rarely touch it after setting it up, or at least that is the plan. 4 exterior cameras 1 in garage.

I found a Elitedesk 800-G3 locally with the above specs and they are asking $275 with keyboard and mouse. Seem fair but just wanted to check.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last month i picked up an HP elitedesk I7-4790 with 16GB and windows 10 pro and a 1TB hard drive for $150 off of ebay. That is an extremely good price and took some work and time to get it that low.

I add an SSD and an a 4TB WD purple drive and junked the 1TB drive.

Look at passmark to compare CPUs.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
For Blue Iris, maybe $180-ish. Any higher than that and you can easily find an i7-4790 which will probably be faster.
Yes, but it is recommended in the Wiki here that...
"I recommended Skylake (6xxx series) and newer because this generation and newer has H.265 acceleration hardware which may be usable by Blue Iris in the future."

Found here

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Last month i picked up an HP elitedesk I7-4790 with 16GB and windows 10 pro and a 1TB hard drive for $150 off of ebay. That is an extremely good price and took some work and time to get it that low.

I add an SSD and an a 4TB WD purple drive and junked the 1TB drive.

Look at passmark to compare CPUs.
Was that shipped? You also has to buy the SSD?

The one local pickup has Win10 on 250 SSD.

I'm definitely not totally set on it and I'm all for saving money if I really would not tell any difference, and would not need future proofing to that level.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, down the rabbit hole I go...

Just wondering for those that might be up on pricing of a build for Blue Iris...

What would be a good fair price range for an Elitedesk: Intel i5-7500 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win 10 Pro

I'm looking for more of a tower build, rather than the super small form factor, so that I could for sure put in 2 - 3.5" HDDs for storage, and an SSD for the OS.

This would be strictly a BI build that I would put out on a shelf in the garage and would rarely touch it after setting it up, or at least that is the plan.

I found a Elitedesk 800-G3 locally with the above specs and they are asking $275 with keyboard and mouse. Seem fair but just wanted to check.
Spend a bit more and get the i5-8500 which is significantly more powerful than the 7500.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Spend a bit more and get the i5-8500 which is significantly more powerful than the 7500.
So you don’t agree with the previous two posters that feel an i5-7500 is overkill, that I should spend more, and get even more powerful CPU? The rabbit hole has a fork?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you don’t agree with the previous two posters that feel an i5-7500 is overkill, that I should spend more, and get even more powerful CPU? The rabbit hole has a fork?
I dont know what your load is. an 8500 may not be sufficient. My point simply was that for about 50 bux more you can get a system that is at least 1 year newer and significantly more powerful because intel made significant improvements to the 8th gen processors.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I dont know what your load is. an 8500 may not be sufficient. My point simply was that for about 50 bux more you can get a system that is at least 1 year newer and significantly more powerful because intel made significant improvements to the 8th gen processors.
I guess I should have put the load. Maybe 6 cameras eventually. Starting with 3. Also your link I have to purchase Windows.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I should have put the load. Maybe 6 cameras eventually. Starting with 3. Also your link I have to purchase Windows.
the number of cameras is irrelevant. its all about frame rates and resolution.
That pc has a license key. You will be able to install windows using the ms media creation tool which is what you want to do regardless.
For 60 bux its a no brainer.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
the number of cameras is irrelevant. its all about frame rates and resolution.
That pc has a license key. You will be able to install windows using the ms media creation tool which is what you want to do regardless.
For 60 bux its a no brainer.
How do you know that it has a license key? And I would want high quality footage of course. 8gb RAM is enough?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know that it has a license key? And I would want high quality footage of course. 8gb RAM is enough?
1- the auction says so - read the description
2- every hp elitedesk comes with an windows 10 license key that is recognized by microsoft as soon as you install windows and connect to the internet. There is never a label on new pcs.
ram has no effect on footage.
the amount of ram is dependent on your load.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
1- the auction says so - read the description
2- every hp elitedesk comes with an windows 10 license key that is recognized by microsoft as soon as you install windows and connect to the internet. There is never a label on new pcs.
ram has no effect on footage.
the amount of ram is dependent on your load.
And probably Window 10 Pro?
What about the RAM?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And probably Window 10 Pro?
What about the RAM?
yes, its very clearly written in the description
memory depends on your load. You are 8gb will more than likely be sufficient.
Do this, buy the 7500, then kick yourself later...

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, its very clearly written in the description
memory depends on your load. You are 8gb will more than likely be sufficient.
Do this, buy the 7500, then kick yourself later...
Sound like you are familiar with these Elitedesk’s. What do these small form factor units have for drive bay?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
find an i7-4790 which will probably be faster.
Okay, I didn’t initially get where you guys were leading with your responses. I just assumed that the more recent i5 would be better. Did some reading around and it seems bang for buck the i7-4790 is a good choice. Thanks.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a PC with an i5 6500 specifically because it has support for h265 which I hope will be of some use in the future.