What should I pay for EliteDesk, 800-G3 , i5 7500 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win 10 Pro?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
You are over thinking it, @fenderman gave you a link to a solid deal, that is now gone.
That PC that fenderman suggested looked good. But I hesitated because the final price was $360 when I was checking out. And bp2008 and SouthernYankee got me thinking I should pickup an i7-4790 for $150 to $180 range. That the quicksync encoding feature may not be reality, as it hasn’t for years. So what’s the point?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That PC that fenderman suggested looked good. But I hesitated because the final price was $360 when I was checking out. And bp2008 and SouthernYankee got me thinking I should pickup an i7-4790 for $150 to $180 range. That the quicksync encoding feature may not be reality, as it hasn’t for years. So what’s the point?
The 4790 is a 6 year old pc and will also be less power efficient.

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Find a seller that accepts offers and shoot for 170ish. That's what I just paid for an elitedesk 800 g1 with an i7 4790 and 16gb ram.
Got it setup last night, so far so good.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay. Fair enough. So I should expect to pay roughly $360(plus 4-8tb storage drive) out the door for a "good" PC to run Blue Iris. So really about $460+ before buying the software.
Hi @Oceanslider

A lot depends on how much you are willing to spend, and what sort of deals you can find the the time frame you need to get the kit up and running.

If you can afford more, I would certainly consider a better performing PC with newer CPUs. I've seen quite a range of prices in used PCs, some which are clearly over priced imho, and others which are good deals. For me the minimum i would consider right now is a 4th gen i7 CPU...

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Oceanslider

A lot depends on how much you are willing to spend, and what sort of deals you can find the the time frame you need to get the kit up and running.

If you can afford more, I would certainly consider a better performing PC with newer CPUs. I've seen quite a range of prices in used PCs, some which are clearly over priced imho, and others which are good deals. For me the minimum i would consider right now is a 4th gen i7 CPU...
Thanks Mat200 and danimal86, as I can see there is differing opinions on what to get. The Wiki is a good start. I'm not in a super hurry, it is just for my home use. Now I have a better understanding, especially of the 4790 as the best CPU bang for the buck and BI being CPU intensive. If that deal that fenderman had been lower I'd have gone for it, just that when tax was added it threw me off, I had not bought on eBay for a few years and it used to be no tax if sold out of state. But I'm just getting into this and don't know the current pricing, but help from users here and reading the sight is giving me a better understanding.

The good thing is, that won't be the last good deal.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will take a looooooooong time to recoup the extra money from power savings if you get current gen hardware.
You don’t have to recoup the entire amount for example where I live even a 10w difference would result in $20 a year in savings so Over five years the difference between these two computers Is only a couple of bucks. Combine that with the fact that this computer is much newer it’s a no brainer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mat200 and danimal86, as I can see there is differing opinions on what to get. The Wiki is a good start. I'm not in a super hurry, it is just for my home use. Now I have a better understanding, especially of the 4790 as the best CPU bang for the buck and BI being CPU intensive. If that deal that fenderman had been lower I'd have gone for it, just that when tax was added it threw me off, I had not bought on eBay for a few years and it used to be no tax if sold out of state. But I'm just getting into this and don't know the current pricing, but help from users here and reading the sight is giving me a better understanding.

The good thing is, that won't be the last good deal.
I paid 420 for the exact same pc a few months ago. If 30 bucks makes it or breaks it, then buy a six year old pc and see how it works out for you.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I paid 420 for the exact same pc a few months ago. If 30 bucks makes it or breaks it, then buy a six year old pc and see how it works out for you.
Totally understand. I am just looking to learn, and that I am. As I said, I was in the process of checking out on eBay for the computer you suggested and the tax thing threw me for a loop, and I decided to think about it, it was late and I went to bed. Now I have a much better understanding of what to expect and should be on the lookout for. Fenderman, if you see a good deal PM me and I'll buy :cool:

Last edited:

danimal86

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don’t have to recoup the entire amount for example where I live even a 10w difference would result in $20 a year in savings so Over five years the difference between these two computers Is only a couple of bucks. Combine that with the fact that this computer is much newer it’s a no brainer.
i guess it being stretched over a full year it could add up quickly.

I ran the numbers for my area ($0.11/kwh) and 10w savings will add up to a savings of $9.46/yr.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I would go for something like this and in fact is exactly what I have

Maybe a Goldilocks PC, not too much, not too cheap, just right in terms of both price and power.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I would go for something like this and in fact is exactly what I have

Maybe a Goldilocks PC, not too much, not too cheap, just right in terms of both price and power.

Interesting the Prodesk you link here has a picture where it says on a sticker “OS: Windows 10 Pro downgraded to Windows 7 Pro”. But looks like they brought it back to 10.

But I’m more inclined to hold out just a bit for something more like the one Fenderman recommended that I missed out on, just for it being more up to date, and more powerful.

I have time. I still need to research and buy 2-3 cameras and run the wires for them.

I must say it as been quite a few years since I have bought off eBay. Seems they now charge tax from us in California.

Last edited:

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
looney2ns and fenderman are spot on based on the costs for power in my area.
Below is a chart for KWH rates based on a tier system, but that's not the final KWH rate.
There are $0.13 per KWH additional costs added so the final cost is $0.21 for Tier 1, $.27 for Tier 2 and $0.45 for Tier 3 (approximations).
Our power source is part of a clean alliance program using alternative sources of power so rates can be 10% higher than if using a conventional power source program.
Based on a five year usage including a 5% yearly rate increase that's about $115 (using the 10W power differential posted above).
Personally I'd rather put that money towards a more energy efficient device that also provides better performance benefits and may still have a manufacturer's warranty. Just a personal choice.

kwh rates.jpg

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score

IAmATeaf, how many drive bays are there in a ProDesk like this one you link?