Which new Intel NUC?

Which Intel NUC CPU would be sufficient for these needs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That should be fine, but I would add another NIC so that you can keep the cameras off the internet - plug all the cameras via a switch into one NIC and then the internet into the other NIC
Hmm that might be a problem - the room where the PoE switch plugs into all of the cameras is different to the room where the BI system will be.

You don't have to build a system thought, most of us simply purchase a refurb off of ebay or amazon. A fraction of the cost you will spend to build. And a 4th, 5th, or 6th generation would be more than sufficient.
Not sure if you've seen the rest of the thread, but that's a difficult option because my dad has very specific size constraints - it's a whole thing. At least this way will satisfy that criteria and also build something that will last him for another decade.

Reaction score
Not sure if you've seen the rest of the thread, but that's a difficult option because my dad has very specific size constraints - it's a whole thing. At least this way will satisfy that criteria and also build something that will last him for another decade.
Here's an example of a SFF (small form factor) system for your consideration:
HP Elitedesk 800 G3 i7

Search eBay (or any other marketplace) for this system and you should see prices about $300 USD

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's an example of a SFF (small form factor) system for your consideration:
HP Elitedesk 800 G3 i7
Thanks but I've already looked into them. They seem to use the 'T' variant of the Intel CPUs, which are underpowered just like the Intel NUCs I was originally proposing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I have seen and know his demands LOL, but I cannot believe you cannot find a refurb the same physical dimensions or smaller than what you are proposing to build.

Then you better get a VLAN switch because having all the cameras go through a router will be problematic, not only from a data throughput concern, but the ability for the cameras to phone home.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I have seen and know his demands LOL, but I cannot believe you cannot find a refurb the same physical dimensions or smaller than what you are proposing to build.
It's harder than it seems!

Then you better get a VLAN switch because having all the cameras go through a router will be problematic, not only from a data throughput concern, but the ability for the cameras to phone home.
I guess I'll add that to the 'to do list'

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so I found a relatively small chassis that is small enough for my dad's requirements (he's got a closet shelf that can't fit a big PC case).

I made a list of components that I think might fit the bill.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 99055
Why the WD NAS drive? The WD surveillance drive has firmware optimized for camera work.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks but I've already looked into them. They seem to use the 'T' variant of the Intel CPUs, which are underpowered just like the Intel NUCs I was originally proposing.
SFF DOES NOT USE T SUFFIX. Micro form factor uses T suffix. I have the SFF ,,,,:smash: Many of us have the SFF Optiplexes or Hp Pro desk or Elitedesk....Can't speak for the whole forum though....

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SFF DOES NOT USE T SUFFIX.
Don't blow a gasket. I'm only saying what I've seen when I've looked into exactly that model.

1629469081257.png1629469110730.png

This may not be the case with older models, but since I want to run Deepstack, and I've been told by someone else in this thread who was FREAKING OUT at me that it will consume a lot of resources, I want to buy a new system, because at least it'll last him a long while.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mini desktop is not a SFF

Regardless, it is best practice to find a CPU that doesn't have any letters after the numbers, regardless of what a company calls the unit.

Reaction score
I made a list of components that I think might fit the bill.
Just some feedback on building the solution instead of buying something cheap off-lease that might not fit, building something will probably increase the cost by 5x.

I have that exact case on my Intel pfsense Router build -- its nothing fancy but fine & small, manual sucks.

I see you noticed its pretty low profile, where you might face some difficulty is if you check the manual it has extremely limited vertical space between CPU and amounted 3.5" HDD ( on page 15 it shows approximately 37mm of clearance from a mounted 3.5" HDD and CPU because the 3.5" hard drive suspends above the CPU from a bracket), and that cooler is 37mm which means it wont be able to breath at all provided it even fits as you have no extra margin in vertical mm's.
For that ML05 build you might have to go with 2.5" HDD (not SSD), as those can be mounted above the CPU or (better) in front of the power supply in that case (2 drives).

You might also look at the ML07 version (or FTZ01) which is fractionally larger and modestly deeper, but both have a dedicated position for 3.5" HDD that won't cramp your CPU cooler so much.

Just get discount RAM, you don't need anything "gamery", basic Crucial/Kingston/Micron ram without heat spreaders or low CL isn't worth even $5 more imho.

Last edited:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
or your build you might have to go with 2.5" HDD (not SSD), as those can be mounted above the CPU and would give a little more clearance, but there are also two other 2.5" mounts in front of the power supply in that case, which would be the better place to put them.

You might also look at the ML07 version which is fractionally larger and modestly deeper, but has a dedicated position for 3.5" HDD that won't cramp your CPU cooler so much.
Thanks! Those both seem like good options. I'll look into them.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
SFF DOES NOT USE T SUFFIX. Micro form factor uses T suffix. I have the SFF ,,,,:smash: Many of us have the SFF Optiplexes or Hp Pro desk or Elitedesk....Can't speak for the whole forum though....

Looks a lot better than Dell inside. Still not perfect, but at least serviceable:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what its worth this version of the G3 is basically the same dimensions as the ML07, but should cost you about 20%-40% as compared to building something.
The only versions of this model I can find on ebay or similar websites that feature CPUs which aren't a 'T' version are 6th generation i5. I'm concerned that they won't be powerful enough to run the cameras + Deepstack.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 6th generation will run the proposed number of cameras + deepstack.

A 4th generation can be capable as well if one takes time to set up motion detection to not trigger on every piddly little trigger. Set up motion detection to minimize most false triggers and then DeepStack is simply a confirmation on an object before firing off the trigger.

And if you spend a little more on getting better quality cameras like the 5442 series, those have AI built in, so you don't need DeepStack...

And either one if you toss a NVIDIA GPU in, then it makes it that much more capable.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A 4th generation can be capable as well if one takes time to set up motion detection to not trigger on every piddly little trigger. Set up motion detection to minimize most false triggers and then DeepStack is simply a confirmation on an object before firing off the trigger.

Doesn't Deepstack replace motion detection? Or does it simply analyze any motion detected by BlueIris for objects?

And if you spend a little more on getting better quality cameras like the 5442 series, those have AI built in, so you don't need DeepStack...
The problem there is that I'm not sure if I can use the camera's built-in AI for HomeAssistant triggers. My dad would like to be able to turn on the smart lights outside every time it detects a person. This requires BI to know that it's detecting a person. To my knowledge, this is possible with Deepstack+BI since BI has got MQTT compatibility, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to use the built-in AI of the cameras exclusively to trigger automations within HomeAssistant.

Does anyone have any expertise here?

And either one if you toss a NVIDIA GPU in, then it makes it that much more capable.
Would a low profile GT 1030 2 GB be effective?