Why are Model Numbers Different between Dahua’s Website and Amazon

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing the Dahua IPC-HDW5442TM-AS 3.8mm and the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED 3.8 mm IP camera's that are original English version and upgradeable. Amazon shows (Loryta) selling the IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm and IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED 3.6mm cameras. Why the difference in model numbers?

It appears Dahua, used lower quality CMOS chips (Not STARVIS) (Difference between IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE and IPC-HDW5442TM-AS) in the 2020 models, is there any news regarding what to expect in 2021? Basically, I am wondering if it’s better to wait for the new 2021 models?

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing the Dahua IPC-HDW5442TM-AS 3.8mm and the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED 3.8 mm IP camera's that are original English version and upgradeable. Amazon shows (Loryta) selling the IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm and IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED 3.6mm cameras. Why the difference in model numbers?

It appears Dahua, used lower quality CMOS chips (Not STARVIS) (Difference between IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE and IPC-HDW5442TM-AS) in the 2020 models, is there any news regarding what to expect in 2021? Basically, I am wondering if it’s better to wait for the new 2021 models?
There is a really great Vendor here on the forum. EmpireTechAndy has sold a Lot of cameras to many forum members, and many of the reviews here are cameras provided to the reviewer. I believe Loryta is his EmpireTech brand of Dahua that you are seeing on Amazon. I don't believe they are ANY different than the ones stamped "Dahua". I have bought 4 cameras from Andy-- two are being shipped right now. The other two come up as Dahua when you log into the web interface of the camera, and I have never read any different anywhere else.

If there are sensor differences, I believe it would be because Dahua altered their build specs for the model. If I'm wrong-- I know someone here will correct me. :) BTW-- Amcrest utilizes Dahua cams-- BUT, they seem to ask Dahua for custom builds of models where things like sensor specs may be very different compared to a standard Dahua cam. As always-- Read Carefully!! :cool: :thumb:

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a really great Vendor here on the forum. EmpireTechAndy has sold a Lot of cameras to many forum members, and many of the reviews here are cameras provided to the reviewer. I believe Loryta is his EmpireTech brand of Dahua that you are seeing on Amazon. I don't believe they are ANY different than the ones stamped "Dahua". I have bought 4 cameras from Andy-- two are being shipped right now. The other two come up as Dahua when you log into the web interface of the camera, and I have never read any different anywhere else.

If there are sensor differences, I believe it would be because Dahua altered their build specs for the model. If I'm wrong-- I know someone here will correct me. :) BTW-- Amcrest utilizes Dahua cams-- BUT, they seem to ask Dahua for custom builds of models where things like sensor specs may be very different compared to a standard Dahua cam. As always-- Read Carefully!! :cool: :thumb:
Thank you, this reminds me of shopping for mattresses, each store has there own model number making it difficult to compare.

Reaction score
Thank you, this reminds me of shopping for mattresses, each store has there own model number making it difficult to compare.
Exactly...... just wait--- you'll be hunting for FIRMWARE UPDATES next!! Andy is great about providing links for those here on the forum btw.... :thumb:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Same cameras. And I don’t see any evidence of lower quality chips. The 5442 series is the best camera going for under $500 and is head and shoulders better than the 5231 series which said Starvis. It’s a product marketing term.

Wait for the 2022 models, or 2025. They’ll likely continue to be better, just like phones, computers, etc....

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully up-gradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
Same cameras. And I don’t see any evidence of lower quality chips. The 5442 series is the best camera going for under $500 and is head and shoulders better than the 5231 series which said Starvis. It’s a product marketing term.

Wait for the 2022 models, or 2025. They’ll likely continue to be better, just like phones, computers, etc....
Thank you, I was looking at - Difference between IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE and IPC-HDW5442TM-AS

and Dahua's camera data sheets focusing on the Minimum Illumination lux values.

Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

The ASE is ePoE or extended PoE. Otherwise they use the same sensor and I dont think any difference in the min illumination spec are going to be visible, I think they are identical in that regard. Those spec sheets show the ASE as having a lot more AI capability. I'd verify that with Andy if that is important to you.

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
The ASE is ePoE or extended PoE. Otherwise they use the same sensor and I dont think any difference in the min illumination spec are going to be visible, I think they are identical in that regard. Those spec sheets show the ASE as having a lot more AI capability. I'd verify that with Andy if that is important to you.
Thank you, AI is not important to me. I am interesteing in having good color night surveillance video.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Just remember Dahua will NOT support the Chinese Loryta brand for any firmware updates, you will always have to rely on a Chinese seller here. I would always recommend a local Authorised Seller this way you are fully supported.

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
Just remember Dahua will NOT support the Chinese Loryta brand for any firmware updates, you will always have to rely on a Chinese seller here. I would always recommend a local Authorised Seller this way you are fully supported.
Thank you, I noticed this site leans towards the international camera models. In my research I could only identify three reasons, price, availabilty of 3.6mm and 6mm cameras at least for the 5442 international models and this is a world resource. Are there other reasons to slect a international model over a US version for people living in the US?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you, I noticed this site leans towards the international camera models. In my research I could only identify three reasons, price, availabilty of 3.6mm and 6mm cameras at least for the 5442 international models and this is a world resource. Are there other reasons to slect a international model over a US version for people living in the US?
Price and availability of models. The US distributors carry a fraction of the available models from my experience.

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That looks like an Alibaba order. Ive seen a number of sellers on there that claim ridiculous “wholesale” prices. The one I contacted made me jump through hoops to register as a contractor, and wanted my banking direct information, which of course I wasn’t going to do.

PLW

n3wb
Reaction score
That looks like an Alibaba order. Ive seen a number of sellers on there that claim ridiculous “wholesale” prices. The one I contacted made me jump through hoops to register as a contractor, and wanted my banking direct information, which of course I wasn’t going to do.
Thank you.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
YMMV thats just one experience, it was a very large Alibaba seller.