Why does no one set up their IP Cameras in this fashion?

ctbear

n3wb
Reaction score
I am currently trying to set up some Dahua cameras using just a Laptop+Blue Iris connected to a POE Switch which is then connected to all the cameras (no router involved). Essentially, I am trying emulate an off the shelf NVR, where everything pertaining to video surveillance happens in its own "intranet." The only communication out of this network would be remote monitoring (via smart phone) of cameras using the laptop's WIFI which is then connected to a home router.

In this manner, you eliminate all load off your router (except for remote monitoring) compared to a traditional set up where IP Cam streams pass through your router then to your Blue Iris PC. This will also increase security as you are keeping the cameras off the home network.

I have been trying without success to find literature on setting up the system in this fashion. Yet, it seems no body does this.

Here is a diagram:

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have my pc/bi and cameras all plugged into the same router, so option C? :p the router/modem that isp's provide isnt usually that robust, so I would shy away from option B. option A works just fine, but you need two nics, and you can accomplish the same things with a good switch and vlans. if you are sharing the same switch for everything, you not doubling up on things like dhcp servers, its easier on routing, single ntp server, etc.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dual honing blueiris and running a separate isolated subnet is pretty common among those who know how to setup networks; many people here do it just the way you describe.. its the cheap and easy way to do isolated lan and dont require VLAN capable switches/routers.

in setup B technically your router is only routing traffic to/from the internet, consumer grade routers do not have seperate interfaces they route traffic over.. they have a single interface hooked to a built in switch.. so in setup B they are just using there home router as there main floor switch, which is fine if thats big enough and the uplink is GigE.. otherwise if your doing one big happy network then your better off putting everything on one big floor switch w/PoE either in a midspan or avilable on some of the ports

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as network bandwidth, you can accomplish the same thing by plugging the blue iris pc into the same switch as the camera, nothing will pass through the router except for remote viewing...those who wish to isolate the networks usually setup vlans.

Dal1as

n3wb
Reaction score
I setup my camera network like diagram A but recently had to connect the POE switch to my access point which is on my local network to create a VLAN for my doorbell cam which will not allow a static IP so my setup is sort of a mish mash. Whatever works and is also secure.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
What about setting up an "Isolated LAN" in this manner, which is neither A or B in the above image by the OP...

Run BI on a PC that has 2 Ethernet adapters.

One is configured using DHCP and has access to the internet for remote control and camera access.

The other is configured with a static address and connects to a 'dumb' (non-managed) POE switch.

All the cameras connect to the 'dumb' switch and have static addresses.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What about setting up an "Isolated LAN" in this manner, which is neither A or B in the above image by the OP...

Run BI on a PC that has 2 Ethernet adapters.

One is configured using DHCP and has access to the internet for remote control and camera access.

The other is configured with a static address and connects to a 'dumb' (non-managed) POE switch.

All the cameras connect to the 'dumb' switch and have static addresses.
There are many threads discussing this setup.