Why should I go with a PC and Blue Iris vs a dedicated NVR?

Reaction score
I would think that a dedicated NVR would have the horsepower to get the job done. Why would a PC with blue-iris be any better? I am just starting my setup. Already acquired some Dahua cameras from Empiretecandy, and need some feedback about an NVR. I realize the Wiki above has good info regarding a PC route, but there are a lot of dedicated NVR's out there to choose from as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would think that a dedicated NVR would have the horsepower to get the job done. Why would a PC with blue-iris be any better? I am just starting my setup. Already acquired some Dahua cameras from Empiretecandy, and need some feedback about an NVR. I realize the Wiki above has good info regarding a PC route, but there are a lot of dedicated NVR's out there to choose from as well.
There are at least 20 threads that discuss this.

Reaction score
Sorry - I didn't see any that had this in the title....just lots of questions about firmware issues or questions about a specific NVR.

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can give me specifics as to what Blue Iris would offer vs an NVR. A lot of the threads I am reading just say "read the wiki," or "you'll like Blue Iris better," which honestly isn't really helpful. I'm trying to understand why a dedicated NVR would or would not be a better solution. I tried viewing the camera / performance statistics in the wiki as well, but that link seems broken....

So - basically, I'd like to hear some feedback from forum members as to their experiences. I see on Amazon that Amcrest gets a lot of good reviews, and mixed reviews on the Dahua and Hikvision NVR's. I am planning on connecting up to 8 cameras - around 2-3MP each. I'd love for them to record at 1080p depending on network performance. Ideally I'd like to be able to view the stream from my computer, or my phone. Also - any ways to view via a TV? I'm guessing via HDMI is one option, but I can't run an HDMI from my server rack to the TV. Any help anyone can provide would be great!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can give me specifics as to what Blue Iris would offer vs an NVR. A lot of the threads I am reading just say "read the wiki," or "you'll like Blue Iris better," which honestly isn't really helpful. I'm trying to understand why a dedicated NVR would or would not be a better solution. I tried viewing the camera / performance statistics in the wiki as well, but that link seems broken....

So - basically, I'd like to hear some feedback from forum members as to their experiences. I see on Amazon that Amcrest gets a lot of good reviews, and mixed reviews on the Dahua and Hikvision NVR's. I am planning on connecting up to 8 cameras - around 2-3MP each. I'd love for them to record at 1080p depending on network performance. Ideally I'd like to be able to view the stream from my computer, or my phone. Also - any ways to view via a TV? I'm guessing via HDMI is one option, but I can't run an HDMI from my server rack to the TV. Any help anyone can provide would be great!
As I suspect with many folks....stop using your cell phone for research, get to a real pc with a real screen. ;)

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the main thing to consider is how much flexibility you want and how much time you want to spend configuring it and tinkering with it. NVRs are meant to set up and forget. PC setups wil definitely require more knowledge and time to set up. However There is no limit when it comes to what you can do, they are modular and there is always an option or an app or Hardware or software that you can add/enable to get the job done. With NVR you are limited to the features out of the box. Are you handy with computers? get a PC. The all look the same to you? get an NVR.

Last edited: