WiFi and NVR

R Andrade

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to install a small IP camera system in my mother's house. Probably around 4/6 cams, but they must be Wifi.
I see there are WiFi NVRs, but is that what I need? The house is big, so one NVR could not connect directly to all the cams. But I got Wifi around the house. Is there a solution to connect a wired NVR to the main router, and all cams connect to this NVR via the WiFi network?

Thanks

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will need wifi cams, the NVR can eat a cable back at the main connection point. You still have to power the cameras and have a way to reboot them when they WILL need to be rebooted. I strongly advise against wifi solutions. Pull the wire, drill the holes, avoid the headache

R Andrade

n3wb
Reaction score
I always prefer cabled solutions...but here it will not be possible to use cables....so I am stuck with Wifi....

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
R Andrade,

Welcome to the forum!

When I was a newbie, I purchased a WiFi cam. It needed rebooting, several times per week. I then pulled wire to it, even though difficult.
WiFi for security cams sucks. Not dependable.
And you can run into bandwidth issues.

Newbies and their initial posts are very similar, since initial posts ask the same basic set of questions. The questions have been asked before, and the answers are here for you, such as the frequently asked "WiFi camera" question. Do a little searching on this site. And searching is far superior to posting your question, and waiting and hoping for an answer. Which usually leads to another question.

Search is your friend.

IP Cameras Throttling Bandwidth
Seeking advice: wifi-camera under carport
Help with IP Camera purchase
Best Wireless IP Turret Camera

The house is big, so one NVR could not connect directly to all the cams.
Huh? 300' is the cat6 limit.
NVRs can connect to 16 cams.
Use poe, this simplifies wiring. Even WiFi cams need a power cable. Instead of running power, run ip cable.

Do you want your mom to power cycle the wifi cams when they lock up? Maybe going up a ladder?
That's what's needed to get them back on-line after an inevitable lock-up.

Again, welcome to the forum!
Fastb

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a sparky to put a plug in the attic,use a powerline and a Poe switch,and a powerline back to your nvr.
And to your router,it's using your house wires then.
As using wifi is like filming the blare witch project.

R Andrade

n3wb
Reaction score
As I said, cabling would be my first choice. But here drilling or even getting the cables fixed in the walls will not be possible because the landlord will not allow and even the cameras will have to use existing 'already drilled' fixtures from the exterior walls. My only options are getting 4/6 Arlos in the cloud or 4/6 wifi cameras and a NVR...

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
As I said, cabling would be my first choice. But here drilling or even getting the cables fixed in the walls will not be possible because the landlord will not allow and even the cameras will have to use existing 'already drilled' fixtures from the exterior walls. My only options are getting 4/6 Arlos in the cloud or 4/6 wifi cameras and a NVR...
If wifi is your only choice look at the hikvision cube or dauha brands,version also hikvision have just released a ds-2cv2q21fd-iw there both ok and support micro sd cards the 2cv is pan and tilt and hooks up to wifi easy,don't waste your money on arlo and the battery's

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you ever finally get fully working and updated the bricked one that you acquired?
It's a smart little camera, good features and form factor for indoor use.
I have just the mtd block to do Alister I will have a chance this week end I might zip up the file and send it to you in conversation it's been flat out at work or family visiting the outback looking for gold,that batch configuration tool is awesome time saver cheers Alister I will speak to you this weekend
Regards mark

R Andrade

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. From what I've read around here I also prefer to buy Dahua or Hik. I would prefer wifi cameras that have also POE so I can use them in another cabled system if the wifi option gets impossible to use...
What I still have doubts:
-I can connect the Wifi cams to the wifi network, so the NVR doesn't need to be wifi but only connected by cable to the router. Is this so?
-I will need maximum 6 cams (probably 4...), so I guess a 8 channel NVR is ok. I've seen the dahua and hikvision brands, but they have so many series and different options in US and Europe sites that I am a bit lost....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What I still have doubts:
-I can connect the Wifi cams to the wifi network, so the NVR doesn't need to be wifi but only connected by cable to the router. Is this so?.....
Hi R Andrade,

Sorry to hear your challenging constraints.

Yes you can get a wifi camera and use it on the normal wifi network - and configure the NVR to record the feed from that camera.

I do not recommend the Arlo / Arlo Pro - too many reliability issues - too short of an ID distance.

Dahua has a number of wifi products which you will have to get wired power to.

I would also certainly recommend considering powerline adapters if possible.

R Andrade

n3wb
Reaction score
After a few thinking and wondering, and much reading in the forum, I see that the WiFi solution is not very good...So I will try to use wifi only where no other option is available, and try to get a cabled solution/powerline in other places. I will not use the POE in the NVR, only in the switch or powerline adapter. Regarding brands, I think Dahua will be the best option for me. So, for a 8channel non POE NVR from Dahua, with place for one HDD, what would you recommend?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After a few thinking and wondering, and much reading in the forum, I see that the WiFi solution is not very good...So I will try to use wifi only where no other option is available, and try to get a cabled solution/powerline in other places. I will not use the POE in the NVR, only in the switch or powerline adapter. Regarding brands, I think Dahua will be the best option for me. So, for a 8channel non POE NVR from Dahua, with place for one HDD, what would you recommend?
Hi Andrade,

Are you in the USA? If so do take a look at this as an option:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

It is what I would install at the folks place with a couple of starlights added to it as it seems to be one of the best values I can currently find. ( still waiting for an OK on that project.... just takes one more package thief for a YES - the folks are one of the most challenging ones to get a "YES" from ... ) You could perhaps get a wifi camera or 2 to add to it.

I picked up a Dahua 5216-16p-4ks2 from Andy ( EmpireCandy on this forum ) - which works well - however it maybe larger than what you are looking for ( holds 2 HDDs )
With the new software updates a number of issues people have brought up here have been addressed.
Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

There maybe a smaller version.