Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-PFW5849-A180-E2 - Dual Lens 180 Degree Full Color 4K (8MP Stitched) Camera

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How come you turned off the IR and forced into color mode? I used a dedicated Hikvision camera last year and forced it into night mode and used IR illuminators for the road with decent success. My Dahua cameras kept going between night and day mode from the lights flashing though. :) I should probably force them one day or the other during the show.

Did you find the car counting somewhat reliable? I imagine the person counting would suffer a lot from occlusion like I found with the car counting.
I've used the number of "press for music" presses I see as a proxy for foot traffic; though it doesn't really tell me how many people are coming by.
In black & white with IR it made it harder to distinguish cars/people against the bright light.
In color it was easier to tell the difference... because a red car looks red. Rather than black with IR on.

I presume the car counting would be better if there is less than 10 cars in frame at a time.
I ended up using another camera to do car counting. But ultimately I was manually counting the playback still.

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried a 180 cam for my light display this year. I used a 4 lens 180 camera which helped a lot.
The camera is positioned above a footpath on the opposite of the road, then a (very old) Ubiquiti wireless bridge transmitting back.
I ended up turning off IR and forcing it into color while the display was running.
View attachment 150957

Having a larger 4-lens camera meant only the middle two cameras had issue with the bright lights, while the outer cameras do alright.

I tried AI to track the number of people/cars.....
It's alright when there is a few cars/people. But it starts double counting like crazy once there is a hundred people with flashing lights. People coming in/out of view behind cars did not help.
I ended up manually counting.

My goal would be to replace this 180 cam with a fish eye or Hubble 360 panoramic on the street lamp (I'll wait until council let me close the street off before asking that...).
How are you getting power for this setup?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How are you getting power for this setup?
I have very, very kind neighbours letting me use power across the road. Neighbours next to them don't mind the camera on the fence post.
I also keep good relations with neighbours all around me.

This 4 lens 180 camera has either POE+ or 24v AC input. I had a 24v AC transformer laying around so I used that.
The Ubiquiti Nanostation uses it's passive POE injector.
Those are mounted into an outdoor enclosure with ventilation and an extension cord is plugged into an outlet on the neighbours house.

It's not a permanent system.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
13 of these are sitting in Amazon just waiting to be scooped up. They will probably go as fast as the last bunch.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the stretching of the image down to youtube/pictures or do you actually see footage stretched like that normally?

Nd1776

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Enjoying this camera so far, it's an excellent option for an overview camera, but I can't get the EPTZ to work. I followed the setup guide, but I see no way to draw the EPTZ zones in the setup screen. Anyone else have this issue or know what I'm missing?

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is it possible to install this camera like this to a wall without the junction box? I wonder if it can be exposed to the elements 24/7

1674501184505.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is it possible to install this camera like this to a wall without the junction box? I wonder if it can be exposed to the elements 24/7

View attachment 151770
As long as you shove the cabling back in the hole in the wall or soffit and waterproof the connection (dielectric grease followed by the kinda waterproof connector provided, followed by self-bonding tape).

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As long as you shove the cabling back in the hole in the wall or soffit and waterproof the connection (dielectric grease followed by the kinda waterproof connector provided, followed by self-bonding tape).
I guess I can't hide the cable connections inside the base plate? I never used one of these cameras with these larger cable bundles/plugs. Maybe that makes it a good case to use the junction box or the wall bracket?

1674513359460.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope there is not enough room in the baseplate.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok lol. Yeah it will fit in an additional bought bracket, but not the thin base plate. Phew I thought I was missing something lol

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so I'll plan to order the base plate. Looking at the picture it looks massive, but I guess getting the junction box instead may not lower the footprint that much?

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How does the substream liveview of this camera within BlueIris? Would it be possible to correct the aspect ratio to make the image look a little wider instead of stretched up vertically? I'm still debating between this camera and the Hikvision version that seems to "look" more nature with 32:9 aspect ratio, but still unsure since it looks like this one has more features and might perform better at night. Is the distortion in the stitching between the two lens very noticeable?