Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-PFW5849-A180-E2 - Dual Lens 180 Degree Full Color 4K (8MP Stitched) Camera

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of what it looks like on a Dahua NVR?
Depends if viewing mode is set to 'original scale' or not.
Original scale will show the camera in correct ratio with black bars, while original scale unchecked will stretch it to the video space.

Then NVR5x-I series allow you to customise the split screen (e.g. 1 channel takes two spaces side-by-side).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK so I have been running this camera for over 12 hours in BI using max FPS and bitrate and zero "No Signals". As I posted earlier, I am using a known good short cable and a known good POE injector for this test.

I am now going to run it at the parameters @mephisto_uk has posted he is running his at and see if maybe therer is an issue when not pushing the specs of the camera.

Provided that goes well I will then install on what I know is a somewhat questionable POE switch and see if I can replicate the No Signal errors.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I ran the 180 on a known good known short cable and a good known POE injector for 24 hours in BI

I ran it 12 hours at max FPS and bitrate and 12 hours at the settings @mephisto_uk posted in this thread (15FPS).

I experienced zero "No Signal" issues.

Therefore, I am leaning towards folks that are having No Signal issues in BI that it must be a bottleneck in your system somewhere - cheap POE switch or one close to power budget, faulty wire or connection, networking issue or an issue with the ethernet port in the computer. I would suggest trying it with a POE injector to isolate the power and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know it is the POE switch.

I am now going to hook it up to a cheap POE switch that I know if I use every port will result in dropped signals. I will try it first with just the 180 and then add cameras.

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran it 12 hours at max FPS and bitrate and 12 hours at the settings @mephisto_uk posted in this thread (15FPS).

I experienced zero "No Signal" issues.

Therefore, I am leaning towards folks that are having No Signal issues in BI that it must be a bottleneck in your system somewhere - cheap POE switch or one close to power budget, faulty wire or connection, networking issue or an issue with the ethernet port in the computer. I would suggest trying it with a POE injector to isolate the power and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know it is the POE switch.

I am now going to hook it up to a cheap POE switch that I know if I use every port will result in dropped signals. I will try it first with just the 180 and then add cameras.
I wanted to share my own experience with the camera, and your post was a good intro to that. I got mine last week and managed to set it up over the weekend.

The way it's wired up, I have about 75-100' of pretty decent Cat6, outdoor rated, going to a weatherproof box that holds a little power strip and a small 4-port PoE+ switch. The switch says its power budget is 78W but I'm now very skeptical of that claim. Anyway, from there it's another 20-25' to a post by the street where the camera is mounted.

When I first plugged it in I was concerned because I'd see it ping for a few seconds and then stop. Then a few seconds, and stop, etc. I looked at the PoE switch and would see the indicator turn on/off/on/off every few seconds. So, I realized I had a problem there. Besides this new camera, I also have a 4MP Amcrest and an outdoor wifi AP. The Amcrest should only be in the 4-6W range. I haven't checked it to be sure, but other similar cameras on my Brocade PoE that actually lets me see the power usage are in that range. I'm not sure about the access point though. It's a TP-Link EAP225 and a quick search tells me power should be around 10.5W.

And when I was testing the new camera, I had it on the Brocade and saw it was using around 5W without the LED lights turned on (I didn't think to check what it was when those are shining), but my outside testing was during the day anyway.

Of course, as it happened, the port I plugged the new camera into was #4 so when power usage is too high for the switch, that's the first one it cuts out. I moved it over to port 2 and moved the Amcrest to 4 which, for some reason, got them all happy with each other. The Amcrest may pull less power when starting up, whereas perhaps this 180 cam has some spikes during boot that the switch didn't like as much?

So that was all happy, and despite the long cable runs and an apparently crappy PoE switch, the camera was working fine, no signal loss.

Then I decided to swap out that Amcrest with the old boobie cam that the new Dahua 180 replaced, and I ran into power budget issues again. The old twin cam, I'm not sure how much power it draws but it must be more than the Amcrest because I just couldn't get it all happy. I ended up unplugging the outdoor AP which is just a "nice to have", and meanwhile I ordered a new PoE switch with a 120 or 128W budget (and smaller too, but an external power brick), so I'll be swapping that out.

FYI, that old PoE+ switch with a supposed 78W budget is a Yuanley: "YuanLey 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch with 4 Port PoE+ 1000Mbps, 802.3af/at 78W Built-in Power". Super cheap on Amazon and it fit into the enclosure, and up 'til now it fit the bill.

The new one I ordered is this one which is not so cheap, but will take less room in my crowded enclosure: "TP-Link TL-SG105MPE | 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch | Easy Smart Managed | 4 PoE+ Ports @120W, w/ 1 Uplink Gigabit Port"

Fingers crossed it works.

All that to say, so far, once I unplugged that outdoor AP to get the 2 cameras out there working, I haven't had any signal loss that I've noticed. Uptime right now is 16+ hours and no signal loss.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To further piggy back on what I have posted and the above experience, here goes:

24 hours on a TP-Link POE+ injector and no problems (no NO SIGNAL in BI)

6 hours on BV Tech 4-port 65W POE+ switch with 2 other cameras - 22 No Signals

6 hours on YuanLey 11 port 120W POE+ switch with 6 other cameras - 24 No Signals

6 hours on Steameo 8 port 120W POE+ switch with 5 other cameras - 11 No Signals

The BV Tech, YuanLey, and Steameo are all budget POE+ switches that most will say stay away with, but if I didn't run it close to power budget and kept some open ports, they would actually do okay. But adding this camera caused issues, even if I took a camera off.

So the moral of the story is that while the budget POE switches may work for some cameras, I think some of these newer cams use more power/different power demands than some of the other cameras and as such the budget switches just have a difficult time even though according to the POE switch spec it could handle it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've not noticed drops anymore, but I didn't have a chance to keep a close eye on my system lately due to work commitments. I've outdoor rated CAT6A to the camera solid copper, totally overkill I know, but that was some left over cable I had, the switch is a Unifi 8 port with 4 POE+ ports, in theory it should just handle the 3 cameras plus 1 WAP connected to it.

Bear in mind, when I noticed the drops, they were just in BI, while connected to the web interface of the camera everything seemed fine.

I can further troubleshoot this when I have a chance, like switch all other cameras off in BI, also disconnect all other cameras on the same switch off to check. Network wise, the topology is pretty good, networking is part of my profession.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I did not notice any real issues in BI other than it would say No Signal and the mainstream FPS would drop but then it would go back up.

If I had it happen with every power supply, then I would be more likely to think that BI is misinterpreting something about the video feed. But since a good name brand power supply was fine, it is leading me to think that some switches are simply having trouble negotiating the power to the camera. I haven't seen it be enough to consider it as No Signal, rather it is more of a caution that the FPS was dropping.

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I did not notice any real issues in BI other than it would say No Signal and the mainstream FPS would drop but then it would go back up.

If I had it happen with every power supply, then I would be more likely to think that BI is misinterpreting something about the video feed. But since a good name brand power supply was fine, it is leading me to think that some switches are simply having trouble negotiating the power to the camera. I haven't seen it be enough to consider it as No Signal, rather it is more of a caution that the FPS was dropping.
I'd suggest checking the logs on the camera, but I just looked at mine and although I know for sure I was having PoE issues initially, I don't see any log messages around that time (just a ton of messages about setting time via NTP - I should really see if I can limit that to once or twice a day). Apparently it's not logging any messages when it starts up, otherwise that would be an interesting thing to look for, any startup messages.

I set this camera up, along with all my others, to send syslog messages to a Splunk server, but nothing there either (and it sends JSON formatted logs, I just realized, so I'll have to transform those).

I also run a PRTG server, and I see the camera supports SNMP so I wonder if it has some of the common OIDs that might have useful info. Just looking for things like uptime so I'd know when it last rebooted, and that way if you had signal drops, you could see if the camera was just doing a reboot for some reason. I noticed that it comes up pretty quick (responds to pings) when powering up, so if it was just a few seconds outage, I guess that's a possibility.

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also run a PRTG server, and I see the camera supports SNMP so I wonder if it has some of the common OIDs that might have useful info. Just looking for things like uptime so I'd know when it last rebooted, and that way if you had signal drops, you could see if the camera was just doing a reboot for some reason. I noticed that it comes up pretty quick (responds to pings) when powering up, so if it was just a few seconds outage, I guess that's a possibility.
The answer is yes, it does support the standard SNMP "uptime" OID. I think it's this: ".1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3" aka ".iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysUpTime" and the value is in ticks of hundredths of a second. I just rebooted the cam and confirmed it's currently showing 10 minutes of uptime.

If anyone knows an easier way to see when the camera last rebooted, that would be nice. It's probably somewhere in the web interface I simply didn't spot. I'm still getting used to the new look of that.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a list of OIDs Dahua uses on their cameras for SNMP? That would be great to monitor and narrow down further where the problem is

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a list of OIDs Dahua uses on their cameras for SNMP? That would be great to monitor and narrow down further where the problem is
I used an SNMP walker and it has the normal OIDs for network devices, so it has that at least. Since I was toying with it yesterday I added a monitor for the network traffic just to see. I haven't done that on any of my other cameras so it's not a good comparison, and also, I have this cam setup deliberately to not use the substream, just so I could really put it to the test. It averages 8 Mb/s. That checks out... I have the encode settings set to VBR with a max bit rate of 8192 Kb/s.

It's an interesting question though... does Dahua have a MIB with any other interesting values that would be useful to monitor? Maybe the internal temperature, or counters for events, etc. I did a quick google search and saw another thread here talking about it so I might check that.

I use the free PRTG so I'm limited to 100 sensors and between everything else I monitor, I have about 8-10 left, but it would be interesting to monitor this new camera for a bit for anything interesting.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you run out of sensors, use something like Observium of LibreNMS, they can't do WMI but for monitoring other things it is much better and flexible than PRTG and runs in Linux

Last edited:

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's an interesting question though... does Dahua have a MIB with any other interesting values that would be useful to monitor? Maybe the internal temperature, or counters for events, etc. I did a quick google search and saw another thread here talking about it so I might check that.
Replying to myself...

I found this: DAHUA-SNMP-MIB: View SNMP OID List / Download MIB

It lists the Dahua enterprise there and has a button to download the MIB. I pulled that MIB into my browser and walked it. I'm trying to think if there's anything terribly interesting in there...
This one seems to also show the uptime: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1004849.2.1.6.0

There's a CPU usage which could be interesting to see if you were suspecting problems, maybe with motion sensing on the camera itself, or whatever: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1004849.2.1.3

Specifically I was looking for anything interesting that you can't just get using the web API which is a lot simpler. There's a few goodies in there for sure that if you had the need, it would be worth checking. Or if you just wanted to explore and see what's what, this is one way of doing it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Replying to myself...

I found this: DAHUA-SNMP-MIB: View SNMP OID List / Download MIB

It lists the Dahua enterprise there and has a button to download the MIB. I pulled that MIB into my browser and walked it. I'm trying to think if there's anything terribly interesting in there...
This one seems to also show the uptime: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1004849.2.1.6.0

There's a CPU usage which could be interesting to see if you were suspecting problems, maybe with motion sensing on the camera itself, or whatever: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1004849.2.1.3

Specifically I was looking for anything interesting that you can't just get using the web API which is a lot simpler. There's a few goodies in there for sure that if you had the need, it would be worth checking. Or if you just wanted to explore and see what's what, this is one way of doing it.
WOW that is cool - can you show us a screenshot of the CPU usage?

So a few of my cheap cams have a system status screen, and they call it a CPU, so that is why I am calling it a CPU, but this shows this camera running at 8192 bitrate, H264, CBR, and 12 FPS is hitting the camera processor at 47% and jumps to 70% with motion. If I up the camera to 30 FPS, the usage is in the high 90% range, but then with motion, it maxes out and would get unstable.

Or if I keep it at 12 FPS and use the camera motion detection, the CPU in the camera goes to 60% idle.

This would be nice if all cams had this so we could see how our settings impact the performance of the camera. I think running these cams close to capacity is probably harder to overcome than a computer spike at 100% CPU. It would be nice is we knew if we were taxing the Dahua CPUs, but based on this, I try to run my cameras lean and not try to max out rated specs.

1673793771057.png

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
WOW that is cool - can you show us a screenshot of the CPU usage?

So a few of my cheap cams have a system status screen, and they call it a CPU, so that is why I am calling it a CPU, but this shows this camera running at 8192 bitrate, H264, CBR, and 12 FPS is hitting the camera processor at 47% and jumps to 70% with motion. If I up the camera to 30 FPS, the usage is in the high 90% range, but then with motion, it maxes out and would get unstable.

Or if I keep it at 12 FPS and use the camera motion detection, the CPU in the camera goes to 60% idle.

This would be nice if all cams had this so we could see how our settings impact the performance of the camera. I think running these cams close to capacity is probably harder to overcome than a computer spike at 100% CPU. It would be nice is we knew if we were taxing the Dahua CPUs, but based on this, I try to run my cameras lean and not try to max out rated specs.

1673793771057.png
I'd also like to see shutter speed, gain, etc to see how the camera reacts to changing the ranges.

Definitely going to check out what @WSCam found!