Wyze Cam - Usable with Blue Iris?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI, @Benak , @mrsmif and others....
If you placed your code inside the "</>Code" carets (see the "+" above in the menu), you won't get the strange, unwanted emoticons.

Example:
# RTSPMJPEGOPTS="-user:password" becomes:
Code:
# RTSPMJPEGOPTS="-user:password"

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @TonyR, I realized the issue much later on... Was too lazy to correct it.

dalepa

Reaction score
Update : Wyze cam arrived same day delivery.

One of the easiest cam setups Ive seen, Indoor Image quality perfect. The software is easy enough for grandma.

Ordering another one one now: $25 amazon

Will be trying openipcamera on the next order.

------------

$34.60, same day delivery on amazon. perfect for an upgrade for my attic rat cam. Sounds like another fun project.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dalepa

Reaction score
Took a while, but got the OpenIPC firmware working for Wyze V2,

The Video quality in BI looks much worse than the Wyze native firmware. Not sure why yet.

1. Download and followed instruction from : openipcamera/openipc-firmware

Extra steps not in in the Readme

2. Removed the .dist extensions from all the files in the config folder (don't know why they were called XXX.dist)
3. Updated conf/wpa_supplicant.conf with my WIFI SID and PASSWORD (I have a open network, But couldn't get that working, so I had to add a password to my WIFI)

4. Booted Per instructions and found my MAC/IP on my ASUS router
5. Logged in http://IPADDRESS using defang/ismart12

For BI to work I had to remove the SDcard and edit config/rtspserver.conf (as suggested my mrsmif above)

6. Commented all but the following out:

RTSPH264OPTS="-vv"
RTSPMJPEGOPTS=""
BITRATE=5000
AUDIOFORMAT=MP3
AUDIOOUTBR=44100
HWVOLUME=70
SWVOLUME=-1
FILTER=4
HIGHPASSFILTER=ON​

upload_2018-7-30_19-38-53.png

DONT change the Video Size on the Web page. If you do, you will need to re-edit the rtspserver.conf again to get BI to work again.

upload_2018-7-30_19-42-8.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Gr8hifi

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Wyze V2, used the recommendations above and now the camera is working great in BI.

a few side notes:
- Even though the webgui shows resolution of 1280x720, it appears to be running at 1600 x 900 based on the values in config\video_size.conf. Apparently, you can get full HD if you mess around with the u-boot but the how-to for this is way too vague for someone of my low expertise to try.

- Night mode works, but not automatically. I am curious is there's a way to send an HTTP command to the camera to enable it based on times of day or something to that effect. I currently use a Vera home automation device that sends commands to my BI server to start/stop motion sensing. It'd be awesome if there was a way to do the same for enabling/disabling the IR LED/IR cut on the camera. Incidentally, the camera doesn't have the required sensor for automatic switching. The stock firmware handled this via software whereas openipc doesn't have this ability (currently).

- Out of curiosity, I tried DEFANG Hacks (the code OpenIPC is built on) and found the latest version to cause too many disconnects. OpenIPC has been solid (for the two days I've been using it....). I did blend the steps somewhat. I used DEFANG Hacks for modifying the camera to boot from the SD Card. I then use the OpenIPC files on the card itself once the initial mod had completed. Not sure if this mattered or not but, like i said, it's stable.

Thank you for all of your help in getting this up and running. Even with the night mode being flakey, it's still pretty nice to have a $25 camera performing somewhat similarly to my $75 Amcrest!

Steps I took:
1) follow this tutorial for "Installation of the MicroSD Bootloader" -
EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks
2) follow this tutorial for "Installation Instructions Wyze V2" - openipcamera/openipc-firmware
3) follow the steps identified above in post (#53 and #54):

Doing that, i get a good picture in Blue Iris that pass through my Vera and onto my apps.

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think I'm going to order one of these little guys. I'm actually yet to officially start my camera project, and this cheap way to get into it may just be the ticket!

Gr8hifi

n3wb
Reaction score
just an update: I bought another one of these little cameras and the two will not play well together. for some reason, having them both on at the same time will cause one of them to fail. They have different IP's, different MACs, and the same for everything else. I've reached my frustration point and am sending at least one of them back. Just a heads up.

spoonek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Attachments

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought the Wyze V2, used the recommendations above and now the camera is working great in BI.

a few side notes:
- Even though the webgui shows resolution of 1280x720, it appears to be running at 1600 x 900 based on the values in config\video_size.conf. Apparently, you can get full HD if you mess around with the u-boot but the how-to for this is way too vague for someone of my low expertise to try.

- Night mode works, but not automatically. I am curious is there's a way to send an HTTP command to the camera to enable it based on times of day or something to that effect. I currently use a Vera home automation device that sends commands to my BI server to start/stop motion sensing. It'd be awesome if there was a way to do the same for enabling/disabling the IR LED/IR cut on the camera. Incidentally, the camera doesn't have the required sensor for automatic switching. The stock firmware handled this via software whereas openipc doesn't have this ability (currently).

- Out of curiosity, I tried DEFANG Hacks (the code OpenIPC is built on) and found the latest version to cause too many disconnects. OpenIPC has been solid (for the two days I've been using it....). I did blend the steps somewhat. I used DEFANG Hacks for modifying the camera to boot from the SD Card. I then use the OpenIPC files on the card itself once the initial mod had completed. Not sure if this mattered or not but, like i said, it's stable.

Thank you for all of your help in getting this up and running. Even with the night mode being flakey, it's still pretty nice to have a $25 camera performing somewhat similarly to my $75 Amcrest!

Steps I took:
1) follow this tutorial for "Installation of the MicroSD Bootloader" -
EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks
2) follow this tutorial for "Installation Instructions Wyze V2" - openipcamera/openipc-firmware
3) follow the steps identified above in post (#53 and #54):

Doing that, i get a good picture in Blue Iris that pass through my Vera and onto my apps.
I just ordered one of these and have it running in BI. How do yo get the night mode running?

Also When I first set the camera up in BI it was disconnecting a heck of a lot. I messed around with some settings in the config page of the camera and I found that when I checked the "Decoder Compatibility Mode" box the connection was rock solid. Not sure if anyone else has tried this

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just ordered one of these and have it running in BI. How do yo get the night mode running?

Also When I first set the camera up in BI it was disconnecting a heck of a lot. I messed around with some settings in the config page of the camera and I found that when I checked the "Decoder Compatibility Mode" box the connection was rock solid. Not sure if anyone else has tried this
As I understand it night mode isn't working with the custom firmware.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I understand it night mode isn't working with the custom firmware.
OK Thanks for the reply,

I am also finding that the camera needs to be way closer to the router than when it was using the standard firmware which is going to limit where I can use it. I really only brought this to play around with the custom firmware. It is a shame because it isn't a bad little camera for basic needs

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought one for the same reason, the best luck I had was putting the camera on it's own separate wireless AP that I had laying around. Kind of a lot of hassle to implement a cheap camera.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to reduce the frame rate? I would like it to be at 15 like my 4 Amcrest cameras.

LBJ

n3wb
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the Amazon deal of the day is this Wyze for under $20 shipped.

But from what I'm reading here even this cam still may not be a winner for several reasons.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought this camera during the Amazon deal. I thought it was pretty nice because it works with my Echo Show and can be used with Blue Iris. But there are some disturbing reviews on Amazon that I think need consideration. Reviews are reporting that the camera is sending information to servers out of the country. In another review the person claimed the device was able to change its MAC address and access the internet after being MAC locked into LAN only access. The data is supposed to be sent securely to AWS but apparently it's taking a strange route and also is using a Russian NTP server. Another person said they turned off the cameras but somehow they turned on and recorded her naked changing her clothes. Now keep in mind I haven't verified any of this but this is what is stated on several of the Amazon reviews, hopefully someone here will have time to confirm.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought this camera during the Amazon deal. I thought it was pretty nice because it works with my Echo Show and can be used with Blue Iris. But there are some disturbing reviews on Amazon that I think need consideration. Reviews are reporting that the camera is sending information to servers out of the country. In another review the person claimed the device was able to change its MAC address and access the internet after being MAC locked into LAN only access. The data is supposed to be sent securely to AWS but apparently it's taking a strange route and also is using a Russian NTP server. Now keep in mind I haven't verified any of this but this is what is stated on several of the Amazon reviews, hopefully someone here will have time to confirm.
Hi @therealdeal74

Do be cautious with Amazon reviews - I've seen a number of reviews on Security Cameras where the information provided was in accurate and even completely misleading.

In general, if in doubt - isolate any IoT product from the rest of your network using VLANs / firwewalls / separate switches and do turn off UPnP on your router,

LBJ

n3wb
Reaction score
These things are $15 shipped today on AMZN. I agree they are junk, but I ordered one so I can learn about how to update it to the open source firmware / software etc.
My expectations are low, and I won't use it for any mission critical tasks.

My guess is they are closing them out since they are so cheap, but I may be wrong.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just got one too, for the heck of it to play with it.
The problem i am having is: I have updated the firmware ok, but while trying to access it on 192.168.1.153 i get "Unable to load image" , so i have no video stream.

I do see that cam on my network,

Not sure what the deal is, but it does work with the original firmware.
When i loaded the firmware file , i put it on a 4gb micro sd card and loaded onto the camera, not sure if that is a problem,or... (order a 32gb microsd )

Here is few files the way i have them:

File: config/rtspserver:

#######################################################################
# Edit this file and move it to /system/sdcard/config/rtspserver.conf #
# if you need to add options, otherwise defaults will be used #
#######################################################################
# Configure RTSP Servers
# Use /system/sdcard/bin/v4l2rtspserver-master -h to see available options
# H264 RTSP server options
# Examples:
# RTSPH264OPTS="-W960 -H540"
# To enable authentication: