Wyze Cam - Usable with Blue Iris?

Discussion in 'Smart Cameras' started by jde77, Nov 28, 2017.

Share This Page

1. jde77

jde77 n3wb

Has anybody been able to use the $20 Wyze Cam with BI. I got 4 of these and they work great with the app, but would like to us BI. Tried to access cams with BI with several different configuration settings with no success.

2. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

Welcome JDE77,

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
    Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
    Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

spoonek likes this.
  3. ThisNerdyGuy

ThisNerdyGuy n3wb

Resurrecting a slightly old post here - but I'm wondering if anyone has an answer to JDE77's original question?

The information provided by Mat200 applies to an entirely different piece of hardware - and relates to physically mounting the hardware - neither of which JDE77 asked.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Wyze Cam works with BI?
    Should be a simple "yes" or "no".

Thank you.

scott492010 and aesterling like this.
  4. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

FYI - The information I provided apply to ALL security cameras - and includes examples and discussions of SOME security cameras, as well as information pointers to Blue Iris and the like.

spoonek and drunkpenguin like this.
  5. ThisNerdyGuy

ThisNerdyGuy n3wb

I agree...and was thinking along this line, too.

Alas, I'm a cheap-ass and don't want to fork over $20 for a camera that may wind up in the trash.

The purpose for this post, in a public forum, is to gain insight from the community to see if anyone has tried it already.

To your point Mat200, JDE77 asked the equivalent question of "how do I change my oil?" to which your reply was "this is how the oiling system works and all compatible parts with every cars oiling system." Applicable? Hardly. Helpful? Not at all in this particular thread.

6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

it will not work...the camera does not support rtsp or onvif

7. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

Hi ThisNerdyGuy,

Lots of people who have never touched a car before, nor owned a car, and may have been told by Jip-u-of-lube that their new Yugo/AMC pacer/Trabi/Used Pinto needs to have the oil changed every 10 miles - come here asking "How do I change my oil?" - when the real answer they really need is something else.

For those people who are clearly NEW to the forum, often asking direct questions such as this for their first and only post - wanting others to do their googling for them - the real answer they should be seeing is that there is a wealth of much more useful information to them here - many golden nuggets of information - information which will help show them how to pick a better car, determine what matters for selecting a good car, and useful tips to take care of that car, as well as drive it...

Remember, we're not here to be your google.

The value of this forum is much more than google can provide, and much more than a robotic yes / no answer you may want and wish for.

8. ThisNerdyGuy

ThisNerdyGuy n3wb

Fenderman, thank you for the answer and addressing OPs (and my) concern.

Mat200 - I understand what you're saying and maybe JDE77 *was* trying to get you to be his Google - but I assure you I am not.
    I have no earthly idea how fenderman knows it does not support RTSP/OVNIF and can only believe he tried it himself because my Googling didn't provide me with any of that information - and actually pointed me to this thread where I found your reply not addressing the concern.

Oh well. I have my answer thanks to Fenderman. It's a shame BI actually references this forum as a place for support when 100+ page threads full of general hardware mounting and compatibility claims passes as "support." If one cannot ask hardware compatibility questions on the "support forum"...what's the point?

Thanks again Fenderman.

9. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

Hi ThisNerdyGuy,

For someone who teaches software for a living I would expect you to know the following points:

0) Teachers do not always answer a student with a Yes or No answer if they wish the student to really learn.
    1) Students learn best when they have some challenges, and the best teachers help their students by guiding them to resources and helping them find answers themselves.
    2) There is a github discussing hacks for this Wyze camera.
    3) There is a reddit discussing hacks for this Wyze camera.
    4) There is a tech crunch article describing how the 3 x Amazon co-founders of Wyze plan to go after Nest's throne with their subscription service offering, and thus they will lock down their products as much as possible.
    5) TCP/IP stack - of course there must be some protocol for video streaming.. now what would it be that Blue Iris uses?
    6) The Wyze camera is a embedded linux system - which should be able to handle various TCP/IP protocals - just a question of how to "jail break" this product.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    DrAramis, spoonek and drunkpenguin like this.
  10. yakky

yakky n3wb

Long time lurker jumping in here...

According to their facebook page, adding RTSP is on their short list of features to add. I have two of these cameras and they are really nice for the price. The design is really well thought out, it allows mounting the camera in many different places. This isn't a $150 Dahua camera, but the image quality is pretty darn good. Tinycam (android app) already supports this camera, so third party support already exists. While I do agree they plan on making money using a subscription service, the fact is these cameras don't cost much to make, you can get decent quality cell phones for $50 that have multiple cameras, a big display, battery, etc, so $20 for a small camera isn't a total giveaway or anything.

That said, if you want something that works right now, the Hikam S6 is under $30 and has RTSP/ONVIF built in, however it is only 720p.

spoonek likes this.
  11. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

there are 50 dollar hikvision cubes available with pir, poe and wifi...1080p...

12. yakky

yakky n3wb

Yeah, those are nice looking and pir is great to reduce false positives, but $50 is a lot more than $20, especially if you get more than a few. Make it four and your probably better of getting a budget hikvision dvr package.

13. mat200

mat200 IPCT Contributor

Hi Yakky,

There's a lot more than just resolution and price to consider when looking at options. This $50 IP Camera will significantly out perform those $20 wyze cameras in quality of image / video as well as other features.

fenderman likes this.
  14. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

there is currently no rtsp implementation...dont hold your breath despite their claims...hikvision dvr package is not ip, unless you mean NVR, and it does not include these cube indoor cameras...totally different product...the wyze cams perform poorly in low light and wifi connection issues...these cameras should be avoided....

15. yakky

yakky n3wb

Do you have any wyzecams?

16. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Nope... they are crap why would I buy them..... Additionally they don't support rtsp or onvif so they are useless

17. BubbaJoe

BubbaJoe Getting the hang of it

LOL.....Hell ill try it. First thing i'm doing is blocking all ports. :rofl:

Are these the same as the cheap ass joann cams. If they are, I got those to work on BI just to see if I could do it a few months ago.

18. yakky

yakky n3wb

I have a few, I like them. They hold their own against my low end 1080p hik or dahua which runs easily twice as much.

They are pretty ineffective for real security, that I concede. But great for checking up on non critical stuff.

19. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

actually they are much worse...as tested by ipvm.com ...waste of money...no use for cameras that cannot stream to an nvr....junk cloud garbage.

20. spoonek

spoonek Young grasshopper

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    DrAramis, wooties and emersonvier like this.
  21. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  22. openipcamera

openipcamera n3wb

The project is open source and gives full shell to the camera with rtsp and other goodies built in on a simple web interface for now.

We hope to expand our project to other popular camera models.

For $25 it makes for a great indoor alternative to a google camera or any other cloud based junk camera without RTSP. Opening up access to existing VMS systems this camera becomes an interesting option for the price. Some low-end home users or DIYers are always looking for a simple cam to get a shot of something indoor, plug in with USB, link up to their VMS and forget about.

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    DrAramis, yakky, wooties and 3 others like this.
  23. Lablurken

Lablurken n3wb

Very interesting project! Is this likely to work with the wyzecam v2 being released?

aesterling likes this.
  24. MatthewNinety

MatthewNinety n3wb

I ordered a V2 and just flashed it with the OpenIP Cam firmware a few days ago. It was very easy to do and it works with BlueIris. I haven't tested it enough to say anything about framerate or throughput. With my other cameras I had to fine tune the settings so I probably have to fine tune this one too. But for just using the generic profile, it's nice.
    Matthew

spoonek likes this.
  25. aesterling

aesterling Young grasshopper

Would love to hear/see more when you have an opportunity to share!

26. MatthewNinety

MatthewNinety n3wb

1 Downloaded Etcher program as directed
    2 Installed Ethcher program
    3 Downloaded firmware image
    4 wrote firmware to SD card
    5 edited text file on SD card and put my SSID & password in the text file with notepad
    6 safely ejected the SD card
    7 powered off the camera
    8 inserted the SD card
    9 held down the setup button and powered on the camera
    10 once the colored light changed I released the setup button (after about 2 seconds)
    11 waited a minute or a few
    12 got the ip address from my router / dhcp server
    13 logged into the cameras web browser interface (not necessary but this is pretty slick)
    14 added the generic camera to Blue Iris - i think i had to use port 8554 for rtsp
    15 started recording ( i like the very wide angle video)

aristobrat and aesterling like this.
  27. MatthewNinety

MatthewNinety n3wb

i just ordered 2 more, but with these kinda things there's no guarantee that they will stay compatible forever. They might change to a new hardware version might not work in the future, and they might even ship out V2's with a firmware that can't be flashed easily. But once you flash your own you should be all set.

aesterling likes this.
  28. MatthewNinety

MatthewNinety n3wb

They weren't acting very stable, but I've ironed a few kinks with my setup, and they are starting to act a little bit more stable. First off, they are wireless. I have some Foscams and Dlinks both wired and wireless, and 1 Amcrest wireless. The wireless cams always seem to cut out / go offline, or drop some frames, or even a few seconds. So I get that some with these too. I really just got more reliable power to them all a day ago, but I'll post back after a few weeks of service.

spoonek and aesterling like this.
  29. sksahai

sksahai n3wb

Would you so kind as to point me where the Hikvision cubes are for around $50?
    Thanks in advance!

30. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

They are out of stock..there is an entire thread on it.