Your experience with NVR vs PC (Blue Iris, etc.) using Dahua cameras?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Dell Optiplex with an i-7700, 16 GB RAM. Running Windows 10, and the latest version of Blue Iris. I did a clean install to get rid of Dell's bloatware, and get the right intel drivers. I've had this issue since day one, practically.

Yes, I'm sure. I've also read the threads on Dahua NVRs.. and they are also plagued with issues.

The cams are mostly 2MP, running at 10-15 fps. The system seems to work fine, and fairly low CPU (40-50%).. when it is working.. 99% of the time.. but once in a while, I connect, and I find it unresponsive.

I have to take a closer look (event viewer, etc), to see if there is any evident failure.
In case you haven't ran across this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

TaGosa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just purchased NVR5216-16P and used it for couple of days with one 4231EM-AS. I added 4T purple drive. Here is my experience.

Setting up the NVR was easy. It's webui didn't work in firefox but worked in IE (win 10) in first try. Also smartPSS (download from Dahua website) worked perfectly. Also the mouse connected to NVR with TV via HDMI worked perfectly. So there are three ways to do same thing.

I connected NVR to my network (connected via ethernet to a wifi router). Connected camera to NVR via ethernet (PoE). I was able to access NVR webui from my laptop with wifi connection. Smart PSS running on laptop also connected easily.

I was able to setup camera's motion detection and IVS including other camera settings right at NVR (use any of three method, WebUI, SmartPSS, Mouse+TV). I was also able login into camera's own webui from laptop via NVR web ui. Just select the camera in IMAGE->Registration and click on IE icon. I used continuous+MD(motion detect)+IVS recordings. I didn't see any lost frames. All IVS (trip wire) triggers were legit and camera didn't miss any. I have to fiddle with motion detection area, sensitivity, threshold etc to get it right (still not perfect).

Play back is very easy. I can click on timeline. I can zoom in and out in timeline. I can also select (unselect) checkbox to see only MD or IVS video. WebUI allows export to .dav file, but SmartPSS allows to export to .avf, .mp4, .avi etc. I exported to .mp4 and it played in all the players (s/w and blue ray) i have.

The fan of NVR is loud if your room is quiet. It kind a makes noise of laptop fan (like when laptop is doing serious number crunching or video processing). I put the NVR in TV entertainment center which is open from back but closed from front. Then from 10 feet, I could not hear a thing. Anyway I have moved NVR to basement, where it is cool and in open.

My experience of NVR is pretty good. I will not go with blue-iris, but to be honest I have never used blue IRIS. Maybe the newer NVR software (14 aug, 2017) is more stable and has brought more functionality than people here have experienced.

No I am not working for Dahua, you can see that from my previous posts from last 3 months. These is my honest opinion. It took some while to understand WebUI and all the functions. Still I am not sure of all functions, but I am comfortable with 80-90%, all because of support and information from this forum as well as other sites and also Dahua docs (on their site).

Hope this helps.

bvpurvis

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks to all on this thread.....extremely new and trying to soak in as much as possible

enilm

n3wb
Reaction score
I am soooooooooooo impressesed with Blue Iris and my Dahua cameras it is not even funny. I get instant push notifications anytime a car drives down my vacation house drive way, then I pull up the app and get 4mp HD cams of the scene and I can quickly switch from camera to camera and it is all recorded perfectly. The Dell computer i7 has rebooted perfectly through several power outages and the Dahua cameras have worked flawlessly providing me the ability to see exactly what I want.
How do you get your computer to reboot after power outages?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
man.. great people on this forum.. tons of great help!

MOD220

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Alexa and Echo set up in Blue Iris and have my 4 PTZ 's set so I can tell Alexa the set point to use for them. I have a list of set points laminated that I can refer to if I want to see certain areas.
I also have a couple of profiles set that can be activated by Alexa.
you can view Blue Iris from your Echo devices?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have the Echo Show I just use them to go to the presets.
I have the Echo Show 2nd generation and use the Silk browser to view the BI UI3 interface.

However, when Silk is on the UI3 page, the Show cannot “speak” more than a few words before audio is apparently muted. I posted about this in the UI3 thread.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro