Your experience with NVR vs PC (Blue Iris, etc.) using Dahua cameras?

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running Blue Iris, with 22 Dahua cameras. I am sure that for most of the members in this forum Blue Iris is working fine... but for me, it is really unstable.

It usually runs at 40% CPU, but then once in a while, it goes to 100% CPU, and stays there, unresponsive.

Live view on the web interface works fine, but randomly, it will start flashing a blackscreen showing an error on the top (I already did a clean Win 10 install, installed codecs, drivers as suggested in their site, etc, etc).

Again, I'm sure Blue Iris works fine for most of you, but for me.. it hasn't.
Thanks for the additional perspective.

Assuming it isn't a hardware or configuration issue, this is important information to me since I'll be starting with 8 cameras but we already have plans for 12 exterior cameras (including a PTZ) and at least 4 interior cameras. At least two of those cameras will be 12MP cameras as well, so we're going to be pushing a lot of bandwidth and need a system that is capable of handling our near term and growth needs.

Rand

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want I can log into your machine with TeamViewer and you can watch and I can optimize your system for you. If you don't like the changes you can put them back easily. There is a good chance that would improve your experience.
Thanks! I'll need to tweak some things first (currently cameras and BI are only accessible by VPN).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Primarily from these forums, and some others that I view. I saw a few people state in the threads @CaliGirl started that the in-camera IVS is superior as it is less subject to false positives where even with tuning BI isn't quite as accurate. But opinions vary of course.
I've watched several videos on setting up and running BI, so I'm aware of the zone crossing option to emulates tripwires, and with motion regions and sizing motion targets. I'm also familiar with the Sighthound Video software which does all that plus object analysis and cloud-based facial detection (but its far more expensive and doesn't support Dahua out of the box.)
I don't want to waste an extra $300 on an NVR that won't be useful if the software will do what I want... I'd rather spend some extra time doing research and then make a better informed decision and not have to worry about buyers remorse. :)
it is not the case...most folks dont setup blue iris correctly...there are threads that explain how to setup zone crossing and blue iris has more crossing options than dahua...you seem to read each post like its gospel...no, zone crossing does not emulate trippwire, it is FAR superior..sighthound is useless, human facial detection is not reliable, and it has very limited setup options...the ultimate human detection is a high quality pir sensor..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional perspective.

Assuming it isn't a hardware or configuration issue, this is important information to me since I'll be starting with 8 cameras but we already have plans for 12 exterior cameras (including a PTZ) and at least 4 interior cameras. At least two of those cameras will be 12MP cameras as well, so we're going to be pushing a lot of bandwidth and need a system that is capable of handling our near term and growth needs.
I will say this again, its a hardware or setup issue...this forum is full of users with many cameras..do you think blue iris is freezing on many of them? Think critically. You will go crazy if you read every post and think the users knows what they are talking about...search NVR and random reboots or camera dropping...you will never make a purchase...also note, that there are many other VMS option other than blue iris, but if you think there are users who dont have issues with those you are fooling yourself...
bottom line is you need quality hardware and quality software...if there is a bug in blue iris it will be addressed in a day or two...if there is a bug in your dahua NVR it could take months if ever resolved.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Dell Optiplex with an i-7700, 16 GB RAM. Running Windows 10, and the latest version of Blue Iris. I did a clean install to get rid of Dell's bloatware, and get the right intel drivers. I've had this issue since day one, practically.

Yes, I'm sure. I've also read the threads on Dahua NVRs.. and they are also plagued with issues.

The cams are mostly 2MP, running at 10-15 fps. The system seems to work fine, and fairly low CPU (40-50%).. when it is working.. 99% of the time.. but once in a while, I connect, and I find it unresponsive.

I have to take a closer look (event viewer, etc), to see if there is any evident failure.
Your hardware is good.
What other software are you running? including antivirus...are you SURE you have the right intel drivers for Hardware acceleration?
What hard drive are you using?
What version of blue iris? when was day one?
did you exclude both program and storage folders from AV?
your load is actually very high for 22 x 1080p cameras and that processor...
Note that until you figure out the problem you can run blue iris tools to restart blue iris should it become unresponsive...

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it is not the case...most folks dont setup blue iris correctly...there are threads that explain how to setup zone crossing and blue iris has more crossing options than dahua...you seem to read each post like its gospel...no, zone crossing does not emulate trippwire, it is FAR superior..sighthound is useless, human facial detection is not reliable, and it has very limited setup options...the ultimate human detection is a high quality pir sensor..
I am researching. I don't take each post as gospel but merely as one person's opinion or observation. I am collecting as many different perspectives as I can and am trying to piece together a consensus based what I find in my research. When I see multiple people say the same thing I also tend to put more faith in those perspectives though, which is the case with the IVS comments I made. Yes, I quote things that I have read as a means to explore the information. If people choose to agree or disagree with those statements and share their perspectives, that gives me additional points of reference and helps inform my opinion and decision process. I appreciate that you take the time to share your opinions and experience, it helps a lot!
I will say this again, its a hardware or setup issue...this forum is full of users with many cameras..do you think blue iris is freezing on many of them? Think critically. You will go crazy if you read every post and think the users knows what they are talking about...search NVR and random reboots or camera dropping...you will never make a purchase...also note, that there are many other VMS option other than blue iris, but if you think there are users who dont have issues with those you are fooling yourself... bottom line is you need quality hardware and quality software...if there is a bug in blue iris it will be addressed in a day or two...if there is a bug in your dahua NVR it could take months if ever resolved.
I don't assume anyone is an expert on anything I read in forums... my assumption is everyone has different experiences and skill levels and each person has their own perspective based on their personal experiences. Those with more experience I tend to put a bit more faith in, but ultimately every person is a bit biased by their own experiences. I already have a pretty good idea what I personally plan to do in terms of my purchases, but there is still a lot more to learn.

As for the stability and reliability of the NVR firmware vs software VMS options, I've worked in software development & engineering management for most of my adult life and I know that not every developer puts bug fixing as a top priority... its nice to see that the BI developers are so responsive to issues. I have also developed firmware for hardware devices (mostly things like keyboards and mice) so I also understand that firmware updates and bug fixes take much longer to release since the process has many more hurdles, so firmware bugs may take months, years, or may never be fixed. This is yet another reason I'm leaning away from an NVR.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am researching. I don't take each post as gospel but merely as one person's opinion or observation. I am collecting as many different perspectives as I can and am trying to piece together a consensus based what I find in my research. When I see multiple people say the same thing I also tend to put more faith in those perspectives though, which is the case with the IVS comments I made. Yes, I quote things that I have read as a means to explore the information. If people choose to agree or disagree with those statements and share their perspectives, that gives me additional points of reference and helps inform my opinion and decision process. I appreciate that you take the time to share your opinions and experience, it helps a lot!
I don't assume anyone is an expert on anything I read in forums... my assumption is everyone has different experiences and skill levels and each person has their own perspective based on their personal experiences. Those with more experience I tend to put a bit more faith in, but ultimately every person is a bit biased by their own experiences. I already have a pretty good idea what I personally plan to do in terms of my purchases, but there is still a lot more to learn.

As for the stability and reliability of the NVR firmware vs software VMS options, I've worked in software development & engineering management for most of my adult life and I know that not every developer puts bug fixing as a top priority... its nice to see that the BI developers are so responsive to issues. I have also developed firmware for hardware devices (mostly things like keyboards and mice) so I also understand that firmware updates and bug fixes take much longer to release since the process has many more hurdles, so firmware bugs may take months, years, or may never be fixed. This is yet another reason I'm leaning away from a DVR.
You do know there is a demo of blue iris that you can try yourself right?
There is only a single blue iris developer, he runs the show, that is why he can push features and updates like NO other vms...everything doesnt have to go through a team of people.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am soooooooooooo impressesed with Blue Iris and my Dahua cameras it is not even funny. I get instant push notifications anytime a car drives down my vacation house drive way, then I pull up the app and get 4mp HD cams of the scene and I can quickly switch from camera to camera and it is all recorded perfectly. The Dell computer i7 has rebooted perfectly through several power outages and the Dahua cameras have worked flawlessly providing me the ability to see exactly what I want.

Last edited:

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You do know there is a demo of blue iris that you can try yourself right?
There is only a single blue iris developer, he runs the show, that is why he can push features and updates like NO other vms...everything doesnt have to go through a team of people.
Yeah, but I don't have any ONVIF compatible cameras to test with yet, so for the moment all I can do is watch videos and chat with others.

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am soooooooooooo impressesed with Blue Iris and my Dahua cameras it is not even funny. I get instant push notifications anytime a car drives down my vacation house drive way, then I pull up the app and get 4K HD video of the scene and I can quickly switch from camera to camera and it is all recorded perfectly. The Dell computer i7 has rebooted perfectly through several power outages and the Dahua cameras have worked flawlessly providing me the ability to see exactly what I want.
Nice!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I don't have any ONVIF compatible cameras to test with yet, so for the moment all I can do is watch videos and chat with others.
the camera does not have to be onvif....

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the camera does not have to be onvif....
Hmm. It would be nice to be able to test BI first hand, but from what I have read, Blue Iris doesn't work with my Kuna/Maximus cameras since they're using a proprietary protocol. They have promised to add support (ONVIF I assume) for 3rd party solutions like Blue Iris but at least as of 2016 that hasn't happened yet. I don't see anything more recent to suggest anything has changed. Beyond those, the other only cameras I have access to are wifi baby cams and I suspect those won't work for similar reasons. All my webcams are embedded into Mac systems so they wouldn't help. :(

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. It would be nice to be abe to test BI first hand, but from what I have read, Blue Iris doesn't work with my Kuna/Maximus cameras since they're using a proprietary protocol. They have promised to add support (ONVIF I assume) for 3rd party solutions like Blue Iris but at least as of 2016 that hasn't happened yet. I don't see anything more recent to suggest anything has changed. Beyond those, the other only cameras I have access to are wifi baby cams and I suspect those won't work for similar reasons. All my webcams are imbedded into Mac systems so they wouldn't help. :(
Those scammers will never provide onvif capability....it goes against their profit structure...

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those scammers will never provide onvif capability....it goes against their profit structure...
Yeah, it does seem counterintuitive since they have a subscription based cloud service where they make the real money off their cameras I'm sure. But they did release a statement to say they were working on it, so who knows. Would be a nice plus but I'm not holding my breath for it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it does seem counterintuitive since they have a subscription based cloud service where they make the real money off their cameras I'm sure. But they did release a statement to say they were working on it, so who knows. Would be a nice plus but I'm not holding my breath for it.
100% percent fraudulent statement...in fact if you relied on that statement to buy the product you are entitled to a refund. There is no subscription based camera on the market that allows rtsp/onvif streaming....

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
100% percent fraudulent statement...in fact if you relied on that statement to buy the product you are entitled to a refund. There is no subscription based camera on the market that allows rtsp/onvif streaming....
Nah, when we got those cameras a larger system wasn't even a concern. The Kuna works great for what it's meant to be so I'm not complaining either way.