Zoom vs resolution

Tayschrenn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is a roughly 40ft lawn between where my driveway camera(s) are going to be, and the drive. Another 20ft give or take where I'd like facial features and license plate reading.

My intention was originally based on the camera Google earth website referenced here, which showed only the 4k cameras would give quality at distance.

However someone in my intro post mentioned zoom as another option.

I don't need a wide angle, indeed I was going with the bullet 4k 6mm vs the 4mm for that reason.

Are there better cameras that offer a more narrow view and greater distance, but aren't 4k?

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the pure quantity of product options out there.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely try out the camera above on the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 site. Since it’s varifocal, there should be a slider on the page where you can adjust the zoom. Folks are using that camera to read plates over 100ft away.

FWIW, if you want to read license plates at night, that usually requires a dedicated camera because after you change the camera settings so it can see the reflective plates well at night, it usually can’t see anything else. Non reflective things (like people or even the car itself) will usually be too dark to identify. If you haven’t already found it, there a LPR sub-forum here with some good threads in it.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E FROM @EMPIRETECANDY and @looney2ns helped me setup face detection. It works and looks great for the price it cannot be beat.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn’t the Z12E suffer from focus issues when fully zoomed in which might be an issue for the OP according to the distances he mentions?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn’t the Z12E suffer from focus issues when fully zoomed in which might be an issue for the OP according to the distances he mentions?
So far I did not see this but I will report back any issues.

I see people seeing issues at night - seen this:
Edit: It looks like keeping the camera in B/W for both day and night solved the problem of losing focus during the switch.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E FROM @EMPIRETECANDY and @looney2ns helped me setup face detection. It works and looks great for the price it cannot be beat.
The Review-Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E AI Varifocal Bullet | IP Cam Talk, has improved focus, It's not perfect, but better.

@bigredfish solved this issue with his 5231e-z12 by setting the cam to change to night mode one hr prior to sunset, and change to day mode one hr prior to sunrise.

There is also @bp2008 handy tool GitHub - bp2008/DahuaSunriseSunset: A Windows Service which changes the profile of dahua cameras between Night and Day at each sunset and sunrise. That can help.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Review-Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E AI Varifocal Bullet | IP Cam Talk, has improved focus, It's not perfect, but better.

@bigredfish solved this issue with his 5231e-z12 by setting the cam to change to night mode one hr prior to sunset, and change to day mode one hr prior to sunrise.

There is also @bp2008 handy tool GitHub - bp2008/DahuaSunriseSunset: A Windows Service which changes the profile of dahua cameras between Night and Day at each sunset and sunrise. That can help.
Nice. Are there any updated firmware for this model?