1 to 4 PoE Extender

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So by plugging in one of these 1 to 4 poe extenders or a simple 1 to 2 poe extender into an existing poe port on let's say a Hik NVR 16 chan machine with 8 poe ports, it will address the new cameras just like it always does under camera management?
No - the NVR PoE channel IP address is only associated with one connected camera.
You can't configure multiple IP addresses on a single NVR PoE channel, it doesn't work that way.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TiChucker

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm glad this device seems to work well. I've been struggling with trying to use Netgear GS105PE's where I need to add RS232 port servers at the end of existing runs, while still providing gigabit data to the existing device. I've had trouble with these as they will sometimes fail to identify as class 4 devices to my midspan switches (Cisco). They have two POE pass-through ports, but will only provide power to class 0 devices when the switch is correctly identified by the midspan as a 802.3at device (class 4). If the switch powers up at class 0, it will only power up class 2 or 3 devices on its POE ports which none of my devices are... I've got two of these switches with the same firmware, off of the same midspan switch, one works, the other doesn't.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would I be able to plug an old wifi router into one of the 4 ports on this thing? I assume that would work (obviously I’d have to power the router separately as it not POE like a real wireless access point) but their description has me slightly worried…. “USE PROPERLY: The PoE Extender can only be used for CCTV IP network camera PoE data extension and amplification (CAN NOT TRANSMIT HOME NETWORK OR OTHER NETWORK CAMERA SIGNAL). BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT, PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ITS INSTRUCTION IN THE PACKAGE. USING IN WRONG APPLICATION ENVIRONMENT MAY CAUSE NO WORK.”

My situation is that I have a cable run underground from my basement POE+ Switch (Amazon.com: Zyxel 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanged PoE Switch [4-Ports with 75 watt Budget] - Fanless Design [GS1100-8HP]: Computers & Accessories ) to a shed that’s about 75 feet from the house. I want to put a few cameras on the shed, but I want them POE powered and don’t want to buy an actual POE switch to put in there at 2x the cost of this extender. And I’m definitely not trenching 4+ cables underground that whole way…the one was enough. I also want WiFi in the shed, but don’t want to buy a real POE access point when I already own the old dd-wrt router that I have configured to act as an access point.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Would I be able to plug an old wifi router into one of the 4 ports on this thing? I assume that would work (obviously I’d have to power the router separately as it not POE like a real wireless access point) but their description has me slightly worried…. “USE PROPERLY: The PoE Extender can only be used for CCTV IP network camera PoE data extension and amplification (CAN NOT TRANSMIT HOME NETWORK OR OTHER NETWORK CAMERA SIGNAL). BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT, PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ITS INSTRUCTION IN THE PACKAGE. USING IN WRONG APPLICATION ENVIRONMENT MAY CAUSE NO WORK.”

My situation is that I have a cable run underground from my basement POE+ Switch (Amazon.com: Zyxel 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanged PoE Switch [4-Ports with 75 watt Budget] - Fanless Design [GS1100-8HP]: Computers & Accessories ) to a shed that’s about 75 feet from the house. I want to put a few cameras on the shed, but I want them POE powered and don’t want to buy an actual POE switch to put in there at 2x the cost of this extender. And I’m definitely not trenching 4+ cables underground that whole way…the one was enough. I also want WiFi in the shed, but don’t want to buy a real POE access point when I already own the old dd-wrt router that I have configured to act as an access point.
You shoud..but why....you can get a poe switch for the about same cost as this..you are way better off using local power...
Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-port Desktop PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W: Electronics
want managed? Amazon.com: Zyxel 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-5HP]: Computers & Accessories
dont forget that you will need a poe+ injector or switch to supply enough power for 4 cams using this...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm confused by, "...used for CCTV IP" vs. "CAN NOT TRANSMIT HOME NETWORK OR OTHER NETWORK CAMERA SIGNAL".
What are they saying it cannot do? Isn't a "Network Camera" and a "CCTV IP network camera" the same thing?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You shoud..but why....you can get a poe switch for the about same cost as this..you are way better off using local power...
Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-port Desktop PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W: Electronics
want managed? Amazon.com: Zyxel 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-5HP]: Computers & Accessories
dont forget that you will need a poe+ injector or switch to supply enough power for 4 cams using this...
Are you talking to me or everyone else on the thread? I want this because its POE powered and cheaper than any other switch i see. Why would anyone buy this when they can get a POE switch for 30% more than this?

And @nbstl68, i think they are trying to say don't use it backwards....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking to me or everyone else on the thread? I want this because its POE powered and cheaper than any other switch i see. Why would anyone buy this when they can get a POE switch for 30% more than this?

And @nbstl68, i think they are trying to say don't use it backwards....
how are you going to power your wifi router?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an outlet there, but all the plugs are used up so I'd have to add another one or use an extension piece.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an outlet there, but all the plugs are used up so I'd have to add another one or use an extension piece.
Buy a proper switch and you need a surge protector or ups anyway so there is no issue with outlets.

Mike Mo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got a single ethernet cable and want to install multiple PoE Cameras? This lil device will do the trick:

View attachment 13533

Price Paid: $30 w/Prime Shipping

Think of this as a Wall-Mountable PoE powered 5 Port PoE switch :)

This takes a PoE+ (802.3AT 25.5W) and splits it into four PoE (802.3AF 14.5W) ports giving you ~6W evenly per port which is plenty enough to run most fixed IP Cameras.

If your looking for a PoE+ injector this should do the trick: Amazon.com: BV-Tech POE-I100G Gigabit Single Port 30W PoE Injector (Black): Computers & Accessories

Most NVR's w/built in PoE already output PoE+ for use w/PTZ, however few of the cheap affordable PoE switches do.

I installed this in my Garage to split the existing cable monitoring the inside of my cat-door so I could hookup the varifocal turret.. I also intend on moving an older camera into the garage for watching the bay and another starlight watching other side of driveway.. So eventually I intend to use all 4 ports, and I also wanted several PoE ports near the Varifocal Turret for future reviews, as thats the camera to beat.. I already have 4 ethernet cables in the garage and really didnt want to run 4 more.

I have 4 cameras hooked up for testing right now, in daytime its pulling 12W-14W total from my midspan.. half of the cameras im testing dont have IR and at night I'm seeing 14-17W combined.. might be as high as 21W if they all had IR.. as always YMMV.

Daytime:
View attachment 13539

Night Time (w/2 IR Cameras and 2 non-IR Cameras):
View attachment 13541

Typically I'd suggest running more ethernet cable, its more cost effective and dont have this single point of failure.. but if your in a pinch, this should do the job just fine.. just dont expect to run any PTZ's off it.
This one can handle higher wattages, but it's way more expensive.

Veracity CAMSWITCH Plus 4+1 Port 802.3at PoE Network VCS-4P1 B&H

POE Switch IP Camera 802.at POE switch 802.3at Power over Ethernet

Last edited:

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I don't seem to understand how this device works. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here. But if this is a POE extender (4-port hub), then what is connected to the single port downstream of this device?

For example, can you take this extender hub and take the single RJ45 cable and plug it into a 1-port NVR ? Would the NVR then recognize all four devices that is connected to this 1-to-4 PoE extender? Otherwise, wouldn't all four devices be "sharing" the same data lines on the RJ45 jack? Or is this 1-to-4 PoE extender acting as a switch as well?

If you have 1 poe port coming off a NVR or router, and then you connect to this 1-to-4 poe extender with 4 cameras, would all 4 cameras get their own IP?

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, I don't seem to understand how this device works. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here. But if this is a POE extender (4-port hub), then what is connected to the single port downstream of this device?

For example, can you take this extender hub and take the single RJ45 cable and plug it into a 1-port NVR ? Would the NVR then recognize all four devices that is connected to this 1-to-4 PoE extender? Otherwise, wouldn't all four devices be "sharing" the same data lines on the RJ45 jack? Or is this 1-to-4 PoE extender acting as a switch as well?

If you have 1 poe port coming off a NVR or router, and then you connect to this 1-to-4 poe extender with 4 cameras, would all 4 cameras get their own IP?
The answers to most of your questions are in the OP. Read it all.

edit: thats why i shouldnt answer questions right before bed... my setup has a power injector, so was thinking about that option when i said you could plug into non-poe nvr.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have the non-poe nvr then you will only have 1 ethernet port on the nvr. This must be plugged into a switch or your router. Period.

This extender can be plugged into a POE+ port of a POE+ switch. That's it. Don't try plugging it into anything else except for your router in which you'd need a POE+ injector.

Think of this device as a 4 port POE switch that is powered by POE+ instead of a power brick.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I love this option. I run my POE+ Switch and NVR on a UPS, and using this still allows whatever is connected to it to still be on UPS backup.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need help. I got one 90feet AWG24 CAT6 solid-core cable in the ground that needs to power and give data to two
IPC-HFW5831E-ZE Dahua Technology - Leading Video Surveillance Solution Provider with CCTV Products, IP Camera, PTZ, HDCVI products, NVR, Intelligent Building, Intelligent Transportation and Software - Dahua Technology

Thats 25Watts and the POE Switch has to be small with two outputs and handle temps between -20C to +30C.
I dont need 4-ports. Whats the best option ? Seems there are quite alot of different ones.. Already got my eye on a POE+ injector that gives 30W or should i get somthing stronger ?

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NVM I see they each get there own IP
Does this provide its own IP address per port? One IP in and it make four seperate Ip address?
It works like a regular switch. It makes connection between different devices, kind of channels the info to the right device if i understand it correctly. A switch handles the LAN/internal network side of things while the router handles the the connection to the outside. If you dont have internet you could use only a switch for example. The IP adress is either set in the device itself (cameras, computers) or in the router as DHCP. Its best to set in the device so it never changes. Althought you could lock an ip to a device also in the router.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think i found what i was looking for.
As i dont use alarm out on the cams its -6W atleast in total power ? The specs says 300ma 12V is used in alarm out in my cams.
With that i should be able to use this in link below. Only thing that has me worried is its only rated -10C in temp.. I dont think we will have colder than -15C.

https://www.amazon.com/CyberData-2-Port-PoE-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B00CH3MLM8/ref=pd_sbs_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CH3MLM8&pd_rd_r=ZTC84SE01THEWWETS6CM&pd_rd_w=2qk1A&pd_rd_wg=U3C2I&psc=1&refRID=ZTC84SE01THEWWETS6CM

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used this today to install 3 cams and only having to run one Cat cable out to my garage. I have one cam inside garage and two on garage out side. I hope this little guy does good in the cold. Its inside the garage but the garage is not heated at all. I have it mounted up top on a inside wall.
Nice, yeah i hope it works in cold too. I ordered two from Ali..
I misunderstood the specs of the device first as there was an answere on Amazon that did not explain it good. I thought it was MAX 6W /port but from the specs it seems i can do two ports 12.6W (or whatever) if rest is unused.