4.2.8 - January 7, 2016 - Hardware Acceleration

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For what its worth, my BI system is still stable on 4.2.8 with low CPU usage after running all night. The only problem is that the Intel decoder apparently requires the video dimensions be a multiple of 16, and that means 1920x1080 gets an extra 8 pixels at the bottom to make it 1920x1088. This clears your motion detection masks and causes the bottom 8 pixels of video to be corrupt. I am confident that it will be fixed one way or another.

Recordings seem to be working well, and I was even able to increase the frame rates on all my cams and still maintain a much lower CPU usage than I am used to.

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what its worth, my BI system is still stable on 4.2.8 with low CPU usage after running all night. The only problem is that the Intel decoder apparently requires the video dimensions be a multiple of 16, and that means 1920x1080 gets an extra 8 pixels at the bottom to make it 1920x1088. This clears your motion detection masks and causes the bottom 8 pixels of video to be corrupt. I am confident that it will be fixed one way or another.

Recordings seem to be working well, and I was even able to increase the frame rates on all my cams and still maintain a much lower CPU usage than I am used to.
THAT must be why I'm seeing a "green jittery line" across the very bottom edge of most of my cams. Ill have to double check my motion masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
THAT must be why I'm seeing a "green jittery line" across the very bottom edge of most of my cams. Ill have to double check my motion masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luckily I only have the green jittery line on one of my cams. Most of them, the corruption is the adjacent good pixels smeared over the bad area, which doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
4.2.8.1 is out. No change to the incorrect video dimensions and the corruption is still there. I do not know what the patch changed.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're late... It's over, put your popcorn away or feed it to your cats. ;)
I believe you've misinterpreted the popcorn: I'm enjoying -- and intensely interested in -- the ongoing 4.2.8 analysis which members are posting.

My strangle smiley was related to the FenderMart collision.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of Blue Iris before this new version? Any version from about Christmas time and before the hardware acceleration update. Thanks in advance...

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Intel NUC, where do you put the 6tb drive for storage?
you can fit two drives in it, a small ssd 128g for OS and programs, and a large 2tb drive also. both will fit inside.ze

NUC comes in two sizes

external can be on a LAN or USB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
Enabling hardware acceleration kills all of my H264 cameras. i3570K headless system with 9 cams. 5 are H264 & 4 are mjpeg. Mjpeg's are fine. Cpu usage is up 10 to 30% also.

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have verified that Quick Sync is working on my system (via other apps that use Quick Sync), but Blue Iris cpu usage is 30% higher with hardware acceleration enabled than without and all my cams show lower frame rate than what they are actually set to. (None of those problems were ever present before hardware acceleration.)

edited for more info: gpux shows zero gpu utilization with Blue Iris, but shows up to 50% utilization with other Quick Sync apps. I'm using 4.2.8.2

Last edited by a moderator:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Back to topic :toung:

Installed the update last night and my CPU went from 28% to 19%. Only problem is that I couldn't view alerts from my three Geeya cams (don't remember the message that BI gave offhand). Changing recording from D2D to Re-encode fixed that, but upped my CPU to 25%. Still, knowing that this is a work in progress, it is what it is. I watched it all evening and there were no glitches. Unfortunately, this morning my CPU for BI was running between 85% and 95%. So, for the time being I'm going back to 4.2.7.1 and D2D.
Restarting BI fixed the increase in CPU for me. I saw a nice drop in CPU usage with hardware acceleration, however 4.2.8.2 bumped it back up a bit.....anyone have 4.2.8.1 to share?
FYI, I have 4 4MP Hikvision cameras with H.264+ enabled (to dramatically reduce bitrate)...hardware acceleration worked with this setting enabled, however there was a thick band of color swapping on all four cameras. Changing the setting for each of those cameras back to H.264 fixed this.

On the options/other page, what is the purpose of dividing the cpu calculation by two?

Attachments

Last edited:

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to restart BI or reboot. It's working fine form me except the 8 pixels on the bottom, and Axis cameras won't work with HA. Give it a few days... :)