4.2.8 - January 7, 2016 - Hardware Acceleration

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI, from Ken re nVidia support:

nVidia is not ruled out, but I will first full expand the capabilities with Intel. There is a group at Intel that is working closely with me to get this even more tightly integrated ...

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Updating what I posted last (also now on 4.2.8.2)...

I record 24/7 cutting every hour. When I enable hardware acceleration, I can't view alerts from my three Geeya cams from the current hour until the current hour has been cut and a new hour started. Changing recording from D2D to Re-encode fixes that, but ups my CPU usage. So for now, I'm running the latest, but without hardware acceleration so that I can continue to use D2D on all cams. (I emailed Ken)

James DiBernardo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Kinda depressed about the new support features.. now there is a constant reminder in red that support has expired days before this was implemented...

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In case someone is following my pursuit of hardware acceleration, I just tried uninstalling BI completely and reinstalling. Unfortunately, no change. I think I'll conclude there's nothing I can do on my end and patiently wait for an update to resolve the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In case someone is following my pursuit of hardware acceleration, I just tried uninstalling BI completely and reinstalling. Unfortunately, no change. I think I'll conclude there's nothing I can do on my end and patiently wait for an update to resolve the problem.
You should contact support so he can figure out what is going on with your system.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're using Intel graphics? Is your processor supported (ark.intel.com)? And I'm sorry, I didn't read very far back, but do you have hardware acceleration turned on in BI (Options>Cameras>Use Intel HD hardware acceleration for H.264 decoding).
Have you tried using Direct to Disc with your cameras? Is Hardware decoding set to On or Default in Camera Properties>Video>Configure? Are your cameras set to use anything other than H.264 perhaps H.264+? One final thought...on my Hikvisions, if I set the exposure time to other than the default of 1/30, my fps becomes capped at 15fps even though I specified higher than that. Have you changed any exposure settings? Sorry if you've covered any of this before....these suggestions are at the limit of my understanding, but I hope you get it resolved....it makes a BIG difference!

ronan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lol @ fendermart

Running an oldish alienware laptop with i7 3610QM (2.3/3.3GHz), intel HD graphics 4000 (and an obviously unused nvidia GT650m - uses "optimus" technology which means it only kicks in when an application tries to use it anyway).

Running six 1080p cameras at 20 - 25fps.

Before update: my cpu usage would hover between 40 to 80%. Did not matter whether I was using the computer for other things or not - the CPU use was just that variable. Opening too many chrome tabs and having a user logged in could get the cpu to max out at 100%. Opening google earth would max out cpu.

After update: The cpu has been hovering between 19 to 35%. Seems to stay around 19 - 22% when not touching the computer. Goes to 30% if fullscreening a cam. A few chrome tabs with pics and stories easily makes it jump upto 50%. Opening google earth (which turns on the nvidia card) and zooming in still maxes out cpu. I'd theorize this is caused by thermal throttling.

CPU temps have dropped fairly significantly from 95°C to ~87°C. Ambient temp is 38°C.

Got another 6 cams to turn on, not sure if the system can handle it!

Stoked with the improvement! Will be interesting to see the nvidia optimisation as well :)

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4.2.8.2 works for me with graphics card disabled and using onboard graphics. Very cool too, low 70% CPU usage with no limit live preview rate, massive improvement!

I have the extra 8 pixel depth on all 1920x1080 cameras (and lost motion masks accordingly), but no doubt that will be taken care of soon. Great stuff!

650hpAMG

n3wb
Reaction score
Absolutely no improvement for me. Yes, Hardware enabled. 3770K which supports acceleration. Cameras at Default or On. Either way, nothing. in fact CPU usage is up a tad. 24 megapixels total. 68% total with 3 clients.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely no improvement for me. Yes, Hardware enabled. 3770K which supports acceleration. Cameras at Default or On. Either way, nothing. in fact CPU usage is up a tad. 24 megapixels total. 68% total with 3 clients.
have you restarted the pc? are you did you set blue iris to record direct to disk for all cams? are most of your cameras h.264?

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't get the hardware acceleration to work on any Intel HD 3000 system (that has Quick Sync)...the ones that need it most.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't get the hardware acceleration to work on any Intel HD 3000 system (that has Quick Sync)...the ones that need it most.
650hp has the same processor as bp2008 so if he is having an issue there must be some driver or software that is causing it not the processor.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My quick review of V4.2.8.2

Running on test rig with the following specs:-
i7-4790K with 16GB of RAM and 2 x 1TB SSD's
Cameras
8 Hikvision 3 meg @ 10 - 15 fps
1 Huisun 2 meg @ 15 fps
2 Foscam 1 meg @ 10 fps
All Direct to Disk except one Foscam.
CPU Usage now 5 to 7% With Hardware Acceleration switched on
CPU Usage previously between 20 - 30%
For me it just shows what an excellent program Blue Iris is and worth every penny if not more. Big respect to Ken and his team for this.
Now if only he could make an spk for my Synology so I could have it running on there :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@cyberwolf_uk Those are some seriously impressive numbers for your load. Do you have blue iris minimized or displaying full time?
Full display running full time, It's displayed on a 24" screen in the living room so we always know what is going on around my home! The monitor is switched off when we go to bed then I have an iPad displaying it all via the web client.
I set audible alarms for 2 of the indoor cameras which would wake me up If they were to go off. Then I know there is going to be trouble :mad-new: