5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve been having these app crashes where the service stops but then is restarted for months now so I do t think it’s related to the latest or the version you regressed back to.

Just checked my emails and I emailed support back in 13/01/2020 when the system was running Version: Release 5.0.8.0 x64
Thanks. I had only started checking the logs quite recently, because of instability of one or two recent versions (specifically with clip playback, using substreams) so maybe this is not actually new, or limited to the last few versions.... good to know.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
A couple days ago I went ahead and setup 12 of my 15 cameras in my BI5 system to use sub streams. I am running 5.2.7.12 and so far I have found no issues with it. I do NOT run BI as a service and I run all my cameras on h.264. I left 4 of my cams without sub streams due to that I view them in a group of 4 to monitor my shop at all times when I am at my desk. These I want to be at full quality. When I view the full index of all 15 cams in the BI GUI you really can't see any quality loss due to the frame size. I also notice this as well in the BI phone app due to size. Now my results are not as great as someone running High MP cams, since mine are all 2MP Dahuas. But I was happy with the CPU drop so here are my results.

Normally I was running around 30-40% on BI when viewing the "all cameras" in the BI GUI. Now I am seeing this:

aftersubs2.jpg

Here shown is my total MP/s before adding sub streams:

beforesubs.jpg

Here is after adding sub streams:

aftersubs.jpg

And this is what I have ALL of my cameras set for sub stream (for starters anyway)

substream.jpg

And as far as UI3 not streaming the main stream yet, I mostly use my phone, but if I do use UI3, the alerts and clips are still high quality.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes love this update does wonders for cpu and saving electricity in the long run.

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all (especially Fenderman), I have 10 cameras, my PC is an i7, plenty of ram, CPU usage is about 60%. I was able to change 1 camera to the substream and it dropped the CPU usage like 6% but on the other cameras I can not figure out what parameters I put in the substream box. I pasted the mainstream numbers in the substream box and changed some of the numbers 1 to a 2, 101 toa 102 but no luck getting the substream to go. Here are a few of my MAIN stram parameters, any help ouyt there what to try for sub stream:

/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

/Streaming/Channels/101?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi all (especially Fenderman), I have 10 cameras, my PC is an i7, plenty of ram, CPU usage is about 60%. I was able to change 1 camera to the substream and it dropped the CPU usage like 6% but on the other cameras I can not figure out what parameters I put in the substream box. I pasted the mainstream numbers in the substream box and changed some of the numbers 1 to a 2, 101 toa 102 but no luck getting the substream to go. Here are a few of my MAIN stram parameters, any help ouyt there what to try for sub stream:

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam
What cameras are you using?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam
Be sure you are using direct to disk for those cameras. I use this for my Dahuas:

/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

or this

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=1&authbasic={AUTH64}

b0bthebuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
on my Dahua cameras, my substream is /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

note the only difference on the above stream from main to sub is "subtype=2" (on the main stream it is "subtype=0" ..... on the sub stream it is "subtype=2" because I am using substream 2 @1080p and I had to enable substream 2 on the camera)

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I even went so far as to go in to actual Dhua camera setting and chnage the subsream to substreamn 2 and then use your substream setting but that still did not work?? Thanks, Adam