5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

DMY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dredging up this old thread.

Both of my cameras have been working flawlessly since the FW update in February. The POE modules on the cams have also survived a good 2 weeks of 100+ temps.

I hope everyone else has had similar outcomes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dredging up this old thread.

Both of my cameras have been working flawlessly since the FW update in February. The POE modules on the cams have also survived a good 2 weeks of 100+ temps.

I hope everyone else has had similar outcomes.
They dont have similar outcomes, that is the point of the warnings in this thread...these cameras are garbage....a dahua starlight costs much less and is far superior...

DMY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am replying to the people who already own this camera. In no way am I recommending it.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine is still a piece of garbage. It works but keeps rebooting to 1970 every few days. I gave up on setting the date and just use BI to show date. Waiting for it to die so I can replace it. The Dahua 5231... flawless and zero problems so far.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A friend of mine ordered 2 of these camera from Longse about 2 years ago. The cameras are working great so far. But he ordered the ones without POE. Maybe because of that? He showed me the quality and I have to say it's fantastic also at night.
I contacted them and they quoted me 76usd per camera plus 25usd for DHL shipping which is not bad at all. I am not sure because I read that some people have had problems. But the 2 cameras of my friend are working great after about 2 years...
I also need them without POE so I will probably give them a try. 177usd for 2 IMX178 camera including shipping by DHL is a killer deal I think. The only thing I don't like is that they do not offer the 2.8mm lens. but if it's a "normal" M12 thread I can easily swap it by myself ( I have tons of lens I tried with my gopro cams)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A friend of mine ordered 2 of these camera from Longse about 2 years ago. The cameras are working great so far. But he ordered the ones without POE. Maybe because of that? He showed me the quality and I have to say it's fantastic also at night.
I contacted them and they quoted me 76usd per camera plus 25usd for DHL shipping which is not bad at all. I am not sure because I read that some people have had problems. But the 2 cameras of my friend are working great after about 2 years...
I also need them without POE so I will probably give them a try. 177usd for 2 IMX178 camera including shipping by DHL is a killer deal I think. The only thing I don't like is that they do not offer the 2.8mm lens. but if it's a "normal" M12 thread I can easily swap it by myself ( I have tons of lens I tried with my gopro cams)
they fail regardless....terrible deal...unreliable garbage...spend 100 dollars on a dahau starlight..which will also include sd card and mic...
Its not a deal if they fail, particularly before an event.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
May you send me the link of the camera you advice me to buy in the 100usd price range please?

Also, I have some IMX290 camera from chinese brand. I want to upgrade the lens. The actual lens is a 2.8mm M12 F2.0 lens. Swapping to a F1.2 lens could improve the low light quality?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
May you send me the link of the camera you advice me to buy in the 100usd price range please?

Also, I have some IMX290 camera from chinese brand. I want to upgrade the lens. The actual lens is a 2.8mm M12 F2.0 lens. Swapping to a F1.2 lens could improve the low light quality?
see dahuas starlight thread...the fixed turret camera is available for 100 if you choose slow shipping, 130 for DHL...
lens will not affect low light quality.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The price is ok and I also like the fact that it's varifocal. How does it compare to the IMX178 in low light? And to the IMX185?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had one of the 5MP Longse/Cantonk cameras, PoE version, in live use for just under 18 months so far, with zero problems - no freezes, no reboots, very good image quality. With the 3.6mm lens it's used as an overview camera for the front of the house, but still gives respectable detail at night.
The only thing I did to it was to change the telnet shell root password so I could do a little internal exploration.
Here in Scotland we don't see the extremes of temperature that occur in continental locations, which are quite likely to be implicated in reliability problems.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua Built in Mic 2mp Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera NO LGO IPC HDW4231EM AS,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had one of the 5MP Longse/Cantonk cameras, PoE version, in live use for just under 18 months so far, with zero problems - no freezes, no reboots, very good image quality. With the 3.6mm lens it's used as an overview camera for the front of the house, but still gives respectable detail at night.
The only thing I did to it was to change the telnet shell root password so I could do a little internal exploration.
Here in Scotland we don't see the extremes of temperature that occur in continental locations, which are quite likely to be implicated in reliability problems.
+1 here. Actually, +3. I've got 3 of these cameras and all running well for over a year, although I have experienced the issue with the OSD date being reset to 1970.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do the IMX178 from longsee allow for double configuration (day and night different settings)?

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The price is ok and I also like the fact that it's varifocal. How does it compare to the IMX178 in low light? And to the IMX185?
The use of IMX178 is not as simple as the use of a IMX291 (Dahua 5231). If you want a really good IMX178 cam you can go with Axis, Mobotix, Hikvision and Dahua.

Dahua with IMX178 is really good at low light, you can compare it with the IMX291. IMX185 is currently the best in low light

I love my Dahua IMX178 and has replaced the Dahua 5231 with them.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay at the end I have ordered the Dahua 5231 for 105usd and also the IMX178 from Longse for 78usd and the IMX185 from another chinese company for 90usd. I will test and compare

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua with IMX178 is really good at low light, you can compare it with the IMX291. IMX185 is currently the best in low light
I'm curious on what basis you've made that assertion.
Comparison in terms of the sensor specifications for light sensitivity?
Check these out :
IMX385LQR | Sony Semiconductor Solutions
IMX290LQR, IMX291LQR | Sony Semiconductor Solutions
IMX178LQJ | Sony Semiconductor Solutions
IMX185LQJ | Sony Semiconductor Solutions
Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation has developed the CMOS image sensor "IMX385LQR" for industrial applications. This new image sensor realizes high sensitivity approximately twice that of the existing product (IMX185LQJ)*1.
The IMX385LQR pursues picture quality at low illuminance most needed by cameras for industrial applications and mounts pixels with a sensitivity of 2350 mV, which is the highest sensitivity among Sony image sensors for industrial applications*2. In addition, SNR1s of 0.13 lx*3, which is the highest performance among Sony Full HD-compatible image sensors for industrial applications, is achieved by mounting an internal programmable gain amplifier and high conversion gain pixels. Superior performance as an image sensor for industrial applications is further achieved by combining HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology with technology that improves sensitivity in the near-infrared light region.

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've tested it. IMX185 is old but has very big pixels. IMX385 will be better but is very new and not available at the moment.

I've compared Dahua IMX291 to Dahua IMX178. There is no big difference at lowlight. This is because the IMX178 delivers the Image with 14Bit. With 14 Bit you can use WDR at night with great result. It is like taking photos in jpg or raw/nef.

Btw. I'm very interested in the Sony IMX294. :)

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been searching for the IMX385 and IMX294 but I couldn't find anything other than some specs cards. Is there any IP camera with those sensors already?

So if I am not wrong: The IMX178 is the best for daylight and also in the night is quite good. The IMX185 was the BEST for night time but it's quite old now. Also it's average during the day. The IMX291 is VERY good for night time with an amazing WDR and it's not bad during the day.
Am I correct? Are there are other VERY good sensors for the night use?