5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been monitoring/reviewing video from my NVR for the past few days and just loving the clean image. I did set NVR to record at 1080p though, because 5MP image with 8000 bitrate @25fps seems too much to handle for my NVR to display in the live view. Unfortunately, nothing I can do about motion blur at the moment at night, but I hope technical support will come through with this.
Does the image get cropped when you record at 1080p? Here is 2 videos of the imx178 at different resolutions and you can see the image is cropped.

Or is it different when changing the nvr recording resolution as opposed to the camera resolution? If that make sense.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
No, zero cropping, 1080p looks a bit stretched that's all.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Frankly, this camera has a good potential, but I am not really as excited about it anymore like I am with Huisun. It just can't compete with having PTZ function for same price and Huisun has more stable firmware. S500 image quality is great and very good for night time. You will be surprised how good it can be with a little more light in the area unlike in my case, but so many bugs will leave you frustrated. I've reset the camera multiple times because image becomes over processed. It works fine if you reset it and don't mess with image controls. Anyway thumbs down from me on this. On the positive note, they seem to be releasing firmware updates frequently, so I will be definitely looking forward to updates.
Figured out what was causing this issue. It was simply i-frame setting. There are 5 options in 1 second increments. I had it set to 5 for some reason. I guess overreacted a bit on this :)

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Revising my thoughts on this camera:

PROS:
Beautiful and clean picture quality day/night (no doubt it is better then Hikvision 4MP, especially at night with very little noise).
Camera has 5MP, 3MP, 2MP resolutions (4:3 aspect ratio) and can use H.264 or H.265 compression. I find H.265 compression produces THE BEST IQ when using the same bitrate, but unfortunately my Hikvision NVR doesn't support H.265 stream, so I have to stick with H.264 for now

Nice solid all metal construction. I am surprised it's not ip66 rated because it looks like a sealed unit, I am not even sure how to take it apart.
Will work with any system supporting standard ONVIF
Streaming via rtsp link
Motion detection works using Gmail account.
Able to set motion detection region
Firmware updates appear frequent and posted on the website (very rare with most other no name IP cams)
User interface is decent, I've only tried it in IE (Chrome isn't supported)
Easy to configure
No focus issues and very sharp image by default

NEUTRAL:
RTSP port is hidden, it's default 554
No HTTPS
Image over processing (corruption) happens when i-frame setting is increased. I've run into this because I had it set to 5 seconds, but keeping it at 2 doesn't have this issue. Not sure what's the point of having 5 seconds.
IR lights are always on in low light, you can only toggle IR cut filter
User Interface defaults to Chinese language, when you login and when you logout. I would prefer a setting that would allow you to change that

CONS: (Sent all these issues to Longse)
Default image setting with AE set to Auto will result in minor motion blur at night. Appears to use shutter less then 1/25.
AE set to Manual is useless where light changes as it will result in image either too dark or white out
Plenty of grammar mistakes ("DNR Model", "Mannul", "Defog Model", "Close", "Login failed,Please make sure the user name and password")
Remember Me setting at the login screen doesn't seem to do anything
Video Auto setting causes IR Cut filter turn on/off frequenly. I am using LDR Auto instead. Not sure what's the difference

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Sure, I can post something, but I already mounted the cam, it will be the same plain view.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Here another night sample and motion. While the image is nice and crisp, it doesn't handle well when someone is walking fast. At 0:23 second mark the 200 watt equivalent flood light turns on which gives better image on the left side, but without it it's pitch black in there. I am recording at reduced resolution as well.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
If I set it to AE - Manual with 1/30 exposure and adjust gain blurriness is no longer an issue, but that brings up the #2 bug I reported that it needs auto gain.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The image looks quite "pale", like there's lots of WDR or IR reflection. Is that the norm?

I really like the clarity of it, very nice. If only that motion blur can be addressed I reckon it could be a real winner.

My bullet version is currently having a few days holiday in a DHL warehouse somewhere not far from here...

Cheezy

n3wb
Reaction score
How did you access the demo camera settings? None of controls have any effect for me, all I can do is view the image.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out a work around AE issue and so far no luck. Either deal with motion blur or underexposed/ overexposed stream. This is a single issue thats prevents this camera to be a great bang for the buck. I hope they can address this via firmware update.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I gave up on Huisun built-in motion detection and switched to Longse and it works as intended, there are no false alarms during daytime/nightime changes. Also, region detection works as intended.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Longse, is that a camera or?
I gave up on Huisun built-in motion detection and switched to Longse and it works as intended, there are no false alarms during daytime/nightime changes. Also, region detection works as intended.