5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
@smiticans - I've got a 3.6mm/poe version I may be interested in selling if you're looking for one, just shoot me a PM. I like the S500 camera a lot but I think I'm going to standardize on the 5-50mm huisun ptz for my installation instead as it's more flexible in deployment.
I agree, Huisun PTZ is just more flexible despite having worse IQ and I ended up ordering second v2. Although I prefer Longse s500 for my driveway overall cam and Huisun helping to cover where s500 can't reach. The killer setup would be Huisun PTZ with IMX178 sensor.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I've asked if they did that. The answer was no. Maybe if more people asked they'd upgrade the sensor?

jaclarkaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For me, the biggest benefit to h.265 would be reduced network congestion and the ability to use more high megapixel h.265 cams on existing or cheaper 10/100 switches. Not a deal breaker in many cases but it has other advantages besides reducing storage requirements or significantly increasing the days of storage capacity of, say, a single HD NVR.
Is H.265 backward compatible with H.264? i.e. I have an H.264 recorder, I assume I can run H.265 cameras on it?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Is H.265 backward compatible with H.264? i.e. I have an H.264 recorder, I assume I can run H.265 cameras on it?
You basically can only record this cam in your NVR using H264 stream which is selected in the menu. If you want to use H265 stream then you need another NVR. I am debating now to whether to upgrade my Hikvision NVR or not.

beardog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey can someone please re-post the most current link to the Longse bullet.

jaclarkaus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You basically can only record this cam in your NVR using H264 stream which is selected in the menu. If you want to use H265 stream then you need another NVR. I am debating now to whether to upgrade my Hikvision NVR or not.
So does Blue Iris support 265?

In a 265 camera, can you usually select a 264 stream?

Just thinking about future proofing as I am just setting out buying cameras (existing were Analog and the analog recorder broke)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
This link on your first post is not working. I looked on their site and found a similar looking camera. I did not want to post the link to confuse anyone but the url like above ends with number 762. Is this the same camera? (kudos on an awesome thread)

They changed links, now you can see this model in different configuration here. The one is being discussed here is s500

http://www.longse.com/Info/View_pro.asp?id=762

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys, fyi. I went to buy one of these a few days ago and was told the following by the seller...
"Here most of factories have been close for Chinese New Year. If you need an order, please extend 2-3 weeks lead time, so we will send the order after the holiday. Thanks."

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Guys, fyi. I went to buy one of these a few days ago and was told the following by the seller...
"Here most of factories have been close for Chinese New Year. If you need an order, please extend 2-3 weeks lead time, so we will send the order after the holiday. Thanks."
Not just the factories, also DHL etc.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So looks like this is the only seller on Ali express that sells these cams now. I wonder why IMX178 is not taking off... It's the best sensor for low light on a budget (aside from crappy 4:3 format)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/322193?spm=2114.10010108.0.111.0RMshI
Just messaged my seller and he said they pulled the ads as they are on holiday ...something about alibaba fees??? anyway, they stillhave them and will reactivatr the ads after the holidays.

cheers.

btw, he has the 3.6mm lens too.

NIPSZX

n3wb
Reaction score
After much research I take back my H.265>H.264 statement because there is a trade off for up-scaling the codec compression. There is a trade off of a larger load of processing power on your CPU in order to compress the video. It is a double edged sword.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like a broken watch... I was bound to be right sooner or later!

I think once properly implemented H.265 will be better than H.264. But for now, you are not future-proofing (IMO).

Reaction score
Thanks to @riceandbeans I got my hands on the S500. I replaced a 2 year old Dahua IPC-HFW4300. The S500 blows away the Dahua in image quality both day and night. I just wish I could adjust the power of the IR leds and adjust the sensitivity of when it switches over to IR. Hopefully, they will include that in a future firmware upgrade.

I'm also using the camera with Blue Iris. So far It's been up and running for about 6 hours without an issue. I remember someone mentioned in an earlier post they were having issues with Blue Iris and the S500

Last edited by a moderator: