Anyone running 8th gen Intel without memory leak problems in Blue Iris?

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey bp...one more data point for you:

As mentioned above, after I got the system running at a reasonable CPU load, I decided to go in and cherry pick a few cameras to bring their FPS back up to something more useful (to me anyway). So I chose 6 cameras that I had set to 10 FPS, and changed them to 20 FPS. Here's the results:

Core i9-7980xe Went from 28% to 33%
Core i7-6960x Went from 35% to 41%
Corei7-8700K Went from 55% to 93%

Super interesting how the change affected the i7-8700K so heavily!
The reason why the CPU usage of the i7-8700K appears to be affected so heavily is likely due to hyper-threading.

Your CPU has 6 cores, which with hyper-threading appears as 12 logical processors. Whenever two logical processors on the same core are in use, you'll see an improvement on throughput of about 30% or so at best compared to the potential of doubling the throughput when two logical processors on two different cores are in use.

If you were to push the CPU usage of the 8980xe and 6960x to above 50% CPU as the baseline usage and then change the FPS on the 6 cameras you should see a much bigger jump in terms of percentage points on those CPUs as well.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks cb8....and it makes sense given what I've been seeing across these 3 different systems.

But now that I've gotten my arms around the problem (at least better than before), I've now come to realize a couple of important things:

1. The overall data-rate is probably the most important balancing act you have to perform, and finding the right trade-off between frame-rate and system performance requires trial and error to get right
2. My original assumption that the number of cores/threads really matters is correct. Evidenced by replicating the same settings across all 3 machines and watching the striking difference from the i7-8700 all the way up to the i9-7980.

Watching how the i9 doesn't even break a sweat now (given the tuning on bit-rate) shows me that I indeed have more headroom to expand. But, I will be much be much more methodical in how I go forward to ensure that I continue to strike the right balance! Thanks again to all those providing insights, especially bp2008.

Last edited:

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, now I' m having same probleem (8600k).

This: Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration) | IP Cam Talk don' t help.
I have tried (twice) clean install of windows, nothing. Different drivers and that Media SDK files, still nothing.

Yes, when I stop using quick sync, blueiris will work, but it uses more cpu power and 8mp cameras playback isn' t smooth (this is main point what I changed to 8gen).

Am I doing somehing wrong? Or is there a way for using quick sync and 8gen processors?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So, now I' m having same probleem (8600k).

This: Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration) | IP Cam Talk don' t help.
I have tried (twice) clean install of windows, nothing. Different drivers and that Media SDK files, still nothing.

Yes, when I stop using quick sync, blueiris will work, but it uses more cpu power and 8mp cameras playback isn' t smooth (this is main point what I changed to 8gen).

Am I doing somehing wrong? Or is there a way for using quick sync and 8gen processors?
It is possible that the fix I put in the wiki doesn't work for all the 8th-generation CPUs. I only know it works for i7-8700K. If you send me teamviewer connection details in a private message, I could put in some time to see if I can get it working. Unfortunately due to the slow-leaking nature of the bug it might take some time to be certain if anything I do makes a difference.

Have you tried the .4982 driver released a couple days ago? Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.65]

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is possible that the fix I put in the wiki doesn't work for all the 8th-generation CPUs. I only know it works for i7-8700K. If you send me teamviewer connection details in a private message, I could put in some time to see if I can get it working. Unfortunately due to the slow-leaking nature of the bug it might take some time to be certain if anything I do makes a difference.

Have you tried the .4982 driver released a couple days ago? Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.65]
Yes, I have tries last ones, nothing.
I7 have only HT, witch i5 don' t have, drivers all the same (gpu).

Now after day of testing I have ruined my last working setup :(
One thing what have noticed. Diplay flickered sometimes, only when blueiris was active. So, it is kind of driver issue.
I really hope there will be drivers witch make this problem go away.
No I have upgraded to better system and overall I got worse.

I will install my setup again and contact with you ;)

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, what driver is working for Intel Gen6? I found a post that says...
"Driver Version 15.45.18.4664 is known to be good: <Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.33]>"

... oddly the sentence says 15.45.18.4664 while the URL links to a site with 15.33.46.4885 ?
Running Win10 + i5-6500T w/ 530 GPU & video driver 22.20.16.4836

I tried to install 15.33 and it says my system doesnt meet the min requirement.

Seeing BI's CPU usage jump to 70-80% or higher in only a few minutes after starting as a Service. I've done all the 'tweaks' and nothing helps.

thx!

Last edited:

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just for remark.

Same camera setup, different hardware:

Console closed.

I7 4930k@4.7ghz - Cpu usage around: 21-22% (no quick sync)
I5 4670k@4.8ghz - Cpu usage around: 33-35% (with quick sync)
One thind I noticed about I5. It was my desktop and this time I used another gpu.
Once I did test with intel 4600, all was ok, even 8mp camera playback. But when I moved bluerisi to I5 permanetly, pc went to restart around 2-3h, all the time. I had to let memory speed and timing down to keep it stable (from 1200mhz to 800mhz). I tried everything, but with internal gpu it was useless. But with lower memory speed 8mp camera playback was again "sluggish."

After all, I wanted to be sure and went to 8gen I5 8600K, witch clocked to 5Ghz and 3200mhz memory.
So, now I can' t use quick sync and using it without. Now I got normal cpu usage around 31-34%, almost same as I5 4670K with quick sync.
Without quick sync and 8gen I5, still 8mp camera playback is "sluggish." So I have to wait for a drivers witch will work.

One thing. Both, i8 gen i5 (5ghz) and i7 4930k(4,7ghz) have cpu mark around 16200-16500, but without quick sync I7 better.

marc463

n3wb
Reaction score
Have a Gigabyte Brix I7 7500, running BI with just 2 HIK 4MP and 8MP cameras. CPU is constant on 56% and Motion recording going up to 96% and stutters. Constant recording not even possible because CPU is then constant on 100% and everything stutters and when I say everything I mean everything. Feels like I am on a old 486 computer. What a bummer. My next try is installing iSpy and see what happens.

marc463

n3wb
Reaction score
Have a Gigabyte Brix I7 7500, running BI with just 2 HIK 4MP and 8MP cameras. CPU is constant on 56% and Motion recording going up to 96% and stutters. Constant recording not even possible because CPU is then constant on 100% and everything stutters and when I say everything I mean everything. Feels like I am on a old 486 computer. What a bummer. My next try is installing iSpy and see what happens.
Follow-up
Installed iSpy and with the 2 HIK cameras mentioned CPU load is 22% while Motion recording on 1 or the other camera and 16% just showing picture. Added my 3rd Camera (Panasonic WV-NS202A) very old but still works perfectly and now load is 28% Idle. Now I have to add my last Camera HIK 3MP.
On iVMS 4200 PCNVR I get 5% higher CPU load (~33%) with the 3 HIK cameras. Panasonic can't be added in iVMS.
Seems BI really has a problem. I like BI especially windwos detached but with CPU loads like that impossible.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree... something is wrong especially with newer versions of BI. I never had issues with BI would have 80-100% CPU all the time and now I do. Several version back it was 50-60% and that was even with higher FPS settings. Same 1080p cameras I was using before.

Intel QC on or off really doesnt matter.

Network traffic (from ALL video streams) is between 10-20mbit so I cant see how that is stressing it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your issue is not related to the memory leak. ..Just improper setup ...Read the wiki .... direct to disk and hasdwaha acceleration ..

marc463

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, Yes and No. I run BI ~2 Years and did not have that problem until about a month ago when it started. First I was just to lazy to do anything about it and let it stutter since I am not using it professionally but then it got on my nerves.
After installing iSpy and iVMS and got much better results, I actually installed a very old version BI (4.0.2) yesterday and the problem is down to what it was running "in the old days". I still don't get the results as low as with iVMS and iSpy but it went to CPU 54% during recording, running the 3 HIK and Panasonic Cameras.
Originally installed BI just worked and I had no stutter problems, used it as installed, always only changed recording location to a different HD (SSD actually) and never paid attention to CPU or Memory usage since everything worked. SSD is not the problem, checked. BI 2 years ago was probably running the CPU that high too but since nothing stuttered I never checked either and never bothered to check or "optimize" anything.
Have a great day

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, Yes and No. I run BI ~2 Years and did not have that problem until about a month ago when it started. First I was just to lazy to do anything about it and let it stutter since I am not using it professionally but then it got on my nerves.
After installing iSpy and iVMS and got much better results, I actually installed a very old version BI (4.0.2) yesterday and the problem is down to what it was running "in the old days". I still don't get the results as low as with iVMS and iSpy but it went to CPU 54% during recording, running the 3 HIK and Panasonic Cameras.
Originally installed BI just worked and I had no stutter problems, used it as installed, always only changed recording location to a different HD (SSD actually) and never paid attention to CPU or Memory usage since everything worked. SSD is not the problem, checked. BI 2 years ago was probably running the CPU that high too but since nothing stuttered I never checked either and never bothered to check or "optimize" anything.
Have a great day
its not yes and no...why in the world would you install a 3 year old version of BI then complain? not only is it an old version but its basically the first release of v4 - there were bugs...please...download the newest installer (its freaking FREE) and perform a clean install....also follow the wiki, missing a setting like the direct to disk on one camera can make all the difference...it is evident that you are not using direct to disk or hardware accelerations...your cpu would be in the teens if you followed directions...

marc463

n3wb
Reaction score
its not yes and no...why in the world would you install a 3 year old version of BI then complain? not only is it an old version but its basically the first release of v4 - there were bugs...please...download the newest installer (its freaking FREE)..................
Sorry fenderman, for the confusion, I don't complain, Hmmmmmm, maybe I do, but not about the old version, my complain is about the "latest" version, I just could not use the computer anymore since everything came to a crawl, crash and stutter. :)
The installed BI version was working perfectly fine and computer was running perfectly fine too, then I got the glorious Idea to download and install the latest version. I know I had upgraded BI before but since BI erases the version number with the updated one, I don't know what version was installed just before the latest one.
After upgrade to the latest, that's when I got all the problems. A almost unusable computer. Going back to the older version solved the stuttering problem and 4.0.2 was the one I just had handy on a HDD. I have other old versions of BI somewhere on one of my HDD's. Uninstalled BI with Revo uninstaller, then installed 4.0.2.
4.0.2 is running now for 3 days without a problem, this also means nothing else installed on the computer caused the problems since I only changed BI. Somewhat high on the CPU percentage number but i7 7500 seems to handle everything just fine. I could go, find the older versions and upgrade the 4.0.2 version but this one seems to work so why bother. I just stay away from BI upgrades for the time being. :).
Next time I get the "upgrade" brainstorm I will make an Acronis backup first and then upgrade, that way I would be back in 2 minutes to the working version. When I get the time or problems with the computer I will look into Direct Disk and hardware acceleration but that's not pressing anymore. :)
Thanks fenderman, appreciate your time and input

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry fenderman, for the confusion, I don't complain, Hmmmmmm, maybe I do, but not about the old version, my complain is about the "latest" version, I just could not use the computer anymore since everything came to a crawl, crash and stutter. :)
The installed BI version was working perfectly fine and computer was running perfectly fine too, then I got the glorious Idea to download and install the latest version. I know I had upgraded BI before but since BI erases the version number with the updated one, I don't know what version was installed just before the latest one.
After upgrade to the latest, that's when I got all the problems. A almost unusable computer. Going back to the older version solved the stuttering problem and 4.0.2 was the one I just had handy on a HDD. I have other old versions of BI somewhere on one of my HDD's. Uninstalled BI with Revo uninstaller, then installed 4.0.2.
4.0.2 is running now for 3 days without a problem, this also means nothing else installed on the computer caused the problems since I only changed BI. Somewhat high on the CPU percentage number but i7 7500 seems to handle everything just fine. I could go, find the older versions and upgrade the 4.0.2 version but this one seems to work so why bother. I just stay away from BI upgrades for the time being. :).
Next time I get the "upgrade" brainstorm I will make an Acronis backup first and then upgrade, that way I would be back in 2 minutes to the working version. When I get the time or problems with the computer I will look into Direct Disk and hardware acceleration but that's not pressing anymore. :)
Thanks fenderman, appreciate your time and input
going back to 4.0.2 is idiotic it is OVER THREE YEARS old ...there are other versions available in between those two...lots of missing features as well as security enhancements (ill bet 100 percent you are not using a vpn)...based on your posts, ill guarantee its 100 percent user error...it has nothing to do with blue iris because there are thousands of users here without your problem...you just dont know what you are doing...the next time you want to brainstorm, start by reading the proper setup procedure in the wiki and stop blaming the update.

marc463

n3wb
Reaction score
going back to 4.0.2 is idiotic it is OVER THREE YEARS old ...there are other versions available in between those two...lots of missing features as well as security enhancements (ill bet 100 percent you are not using a vpn)...based on your posts, ill guarantee its 100 percent user error...it has nothing to do with blue iris because there are thousands of users here without your problem...you just dont know what you are doing...the next time you want to brainstorm, start by reading the proper setup procedure in the wiki and stop blaming the update.
Thanks fenderman don't get a Heart-Attack just because I use and have an old version installed. Visually and on screen I don't see a difference between the working one from ~2 weeks ago, the latest upgraded one, the one I think made my computer crash and stutter and this old 4.0.2 that made my computer usable again. I searched in my Catalog program for BI and it came up with 5 BI on hand but it can't tell me which versions they are. Therefore if I get a problem I will dig out the HDD and upgrade the 4.0.2 to one of the other 4 with whatever versions they are. Right now I am pretty happy with the setup since I am back to "Normal". Task-Manager has the BI usage this moment between 18 and 61% and memory around 1014mb.
VPN? Hmmmmmmmmmm wonder what and why a VPN would affect my computer or BI.
Thanks fenderman appreciate your time and reply.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been unsuccessful in using this method on an I5-8400 w/ 16GB ram. Has anyone been able to get this to work with an I5-8400?

Previously when I applied the media SDK files with the latest Intel drivers I could sit back and watch the CPU usage go through the roof. This is on a system with 24 -2MP Camera's all using direct to disk and at 15fps.

I just tried it again on a system. When the latest driver is installed and the Media SDK files replaced and after a reboot I have CPU usage of 52%. This is using the console. I will keep an eye on it and report back. I installed Blue Iris Update Helper to get a better handle on what is going on.

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Still disappointed, even with latest drivers (24.20.100.6025), it doesn' t work. Very quicky cpu usage rises to 100%
Is there going to be fix for that? 8mp camera recorded playback at 8x speed is useless.