Best all around picture quality cam under $300

imow304

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join your group. Are their any cams out there selling for under $300 with better picture quality AND night vision, than the LNB9232S from Lorex..? Suggestions welcome. Please and thank you?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you are willing to spend up to $300, then do not settle for a small 2.8mm lens. You will not be able to identify anyone unless they are practically at the camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join your group. Are their any cams out there selling for under $300 with better picture quality AND night vision, than the LNB9232S from Lorex..? Suggestions welcome. Please and thank you?
Welcome @imow304

There's more to know and look at besides the specs listed on that screen shot:

LNB9232S specs from your screen shot:
8MP indoor / outdoor IP security camera
4K resolution
275 feet night vision
111 degree FOV

notes:
8MP is only one part.. need to understand more on the lens, sensor, f-stop,...
4K = mean 4K UHD
275 feet night vision - a lot of marketing fluff.. what does it really mean? Serious do not trust these numbers from vendors
FOV - Diagonal? Horizontal? Did you need a wide fov or do you want to see further?

Do take some time to figure this stuff out, check out the DORI section of the cliff notes, check out the IPVM calculator.

note - imho Lorex website over charges for their individual cameras

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
18) Camera lens size
Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+

IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
LNB9232S from Lorex
I went to the product page at Lorex for this camera. In the technical specs it says it is an F2.5 lens at 2.8mm, 4K @ 30fps. But there is nothing about the sensor other than CMOS Progressive Scan. No info on Min Illumination either.

They have marketing speak that states "Large Image Sensor" but never say what that means, other than 8MP. In their Q&A section, two folks separately ask what size sensor does it have and one answer was "...a cutting edge 8.51 MP image sensor" and the other answer was "Unfortunately, we don't have that information if it is not listed on the website."

So it is hard to state what would be better than it since the specs are not made public.

One thing I find interesting is that they talk about 'Back illuminated pixel technology'. What is that? They make it sound new and revolutionary. ===>

With a front illuminated image sensor, light energy (photons) would have to travel through a layer of metal wiring and transistors before reaching the image sensor's light sensitive area (photo-diode). These obstructions would diminish the amount of light that is ultimately captured. That's no longer the case with this camera's back illuminated image sensor. With this sensor, the light doesn't have to pass through that layer of wiring, which drastically improves the amount of light captured. This vastly enhances low-light performance and results in less digital noise to keep your security footage clean and clear.

Anyone know if this is different than the cameras (Dahua) that we have been using?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I went to the product page at Lorex for this camera. In the technical specs it says it is an F2.5 lens at 2.8mm, 4K @ 30fps. But there is nothing about the sensor other than CMOS Progressive Scan. No info on Min Illumination either.

They have marketing speak that states "Large Image Sensor" but never say what that means, other than 8MP. In their Q&A section, two folks separately ask what size sensor does it have and one answer was "...a cutting edge 8.51 MP image sensor" and the other answer was "Unfortunately, we don't have that information if it is not listed on the website."

So it is hard to state what would be better than it since the specs are not made public.

One thing I find interesting is that they talk about 'Back illuminated pixel technology'. What is that? They make it sound new and revolutionary. ===>

With a front illuminated image sensor, light energy (photons) would have to travel through a layer of metal wiring and transistors before reaching the image sensor's light sensitive area (photo-diode). These obstructions would diminish the amount of light that is ultimately captured. That's no longer the case with this camera's back illuminated image sensor. With this sensor, the light doesn't have to pass through that layer of wiring, which drastically improves the amount of light captured. This vastly enhances low-light performance and results in less digital noise to keep your security footage clean and clear.

Anyone know if this is different than the cameras (Dahua) that we have been using?
I also was unable to find a spec sheet just now when I looked for on on lorex's website.

iirc the sensor should be 1/1.8" on these.

Still, imho the price point from Lorex is typically not a good deal - so I would think one would be better off getting a Dahua OEM version of this from Andy or another vendor unless you want to wait for a BF-cyberweek deal on a kit from Lorex ( typically the best time to look for deals from Lorex - otherwise often not such a good deal. Montavue also carries Dahua OEM cameras and should have a better version of this camera with the appropriate Dahua OEM firmware.. typically with IVS features )

imow304

n3wb
Reaction score
Since you are willing to spend up to $300, then do not settle for a small 2.8mm lens. You will not be able to identify anyone unless they are practically at the camera.
Then please tell me what you would suggest for around $300 per camera? Thanks in advance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you need really low light performance, go with one of these:

IPC-HFW2831T-ZS

If you need decent low light performance but with the ability to zoom in well, then this one:

Don't get caught up in the MP game. My neighbor bought that Lorex a year ago and my 5241 blows it away. He has since replaced his with the 5241. He is still scratching his head how a 2MP camera is performing better than a 8MP.

My cell phone has a 12MP camera and beyond about 5 feet it is useless - the pixelation is horrible. In a lot of instances, lens size is more important than MP.

The varifocal lens is so nice because you can dial up the image you need and zoom in to capture the details at a distance further away from the camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.