Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried installing BI5 today and it lost all motion settings for all profiles other than Profile 1. All the cameras were set to "Sync with Profile 1"
I guess that if this issue is still happening two weeks after the BI5 launch then it is probably never going to change ;(

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess that if this issue is still happening two weeks after the BI5 launch then it is probably never going to change ;(
Disappointing, I thought this has been fixed. It actually looked promising when I installed BI5 (5.0.0.45) in my VM environment last week, as I did not have this issue.

I'll revert my snapshot and try installing the latest to suck it and see.

Last edited:

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, 5.0.0.54 has switched back to Sync with Profile 1.

This definitely worked in 5.0.0.45

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yup, 5.0.0.54 has switched back to Sync with Profile 1.

This definitely worked in 5.0.0.45
I know Ken must be drowning in support request emails, but this may be something of which he's not aware. Or, maybe there's a reason he changed it. Either way, unless someone reaches out to him to let him know that the profiles aren't migrating properly now, it won't get addressed.

I'm still hanging on to V4 until I see most of these growing pains resolve.

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know Ken must be drowning in support request emails, but this may be something of which he's not aware. Or, maybe there's a reason he changed it. Either way, unless someone reaches out to him to let him know that the profiles aren't migrating properly now, it won't get addressed.

I'm still hanging on to V4 until I see most of these growing pains resolve.
Yeah, I emailed him about it and found a manual workaround for now by adding some registry entries.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what do you mean by "performing" and "Everything else being equal"
By performing I mean how is BI5's performance (cpu usage, memory usage, network usage, etc.) compared to BI4. By everything being equal, I mean the same load on the system. Same cameras, parameters, etc. So the comparison of BI5 is fair to BI4. That's the only way to compare them.
Thanks!

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which is?
Adding a blank string called "camsync" and a dword called "sync" with a value of 0 to your Motion zones under the cameras.

I just edited my imported backup to include these.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
By performing I mean how is BI5's performance (cpu usage, memory usage, network usage, etc.) compared to BI4. By everything being equal, I mean the same load on the system. Same cameras, parameters, etc. So the comparison of BI5 is fair to BI4. That's the only way to compare them.
Thanks!
Network usage will always be the same... That is wholly dependent on the cameras... Several users are reporting lower CPU usage...

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Network usage will always be the same... That is wholly dependent on the cameras... Several users are reporting lower CPU usage...
To add another datapoint, at idle there is no difference on my Win 10 machine from v4 to v5. It seems to use less CPU when playing back all my recorded video streams at once but more testing will be needed before I can say that with confidence.

Reaction score
That would be nice, but I imagine Ken just doesn't want the added overhead of trying to produce a change log for every little patch.
Other software developers manage to record the process of updates and what they address, i'm sure Ken has to log it himself anyway otherwise how would he know he has fixed bugs? I get that this should not get in the way of agile development of the product but a halfway house of good updates to customers and knowing when issues are fixed and addressed would be so useful.

Reaction score
No you can upgrade next year...as long as the license was activated after april 1 or you purchased a support plan. There is no july cutoff.
Thanks for the clarification, appreciated. I'll hold off for a couple more weeks then. Cheers.

LCBrevard

n3wb
Reaction score
I think they have the server issues ironed out now.

BLUE IRIS 5 is now working for me.
20190615-BlueIris-5-working.PNG

After getting repeated unable to activate messages and then server error in the web browser, I posted that to the support email.

I got back a message that it should be fixed now.

It was a little bumpy with an initial claim that "This code has already been added to another license."
20190615-BlueIris-activate-tryagain-FAIL.PNG

But when I shut down and restarted I showed the upgrade eligibility.
20190615-BlueIris-activate-tryagain-after-restart-is-updated.PNG

I was able to shut down Blue Iris 4, download 5.0.0.54 and run the installer.

Blue Iris 5 came up and offered to upgrade to 5.0.0.55 - which I did.

It is all working and I did not have to:
  1. Uninstall and scrub the registry.
  2. Find and install any VC redist packages (probably because I have a product that needed them already)
  3. Do anything to make the Web UI3 work.
All of which is a good argument for having waited - a bit.

Here is my support info (License redacted)

Email to: support@blueirissoftware.com

Support data:
Version: Release 5.0.0.55 x64
Service: No
License: XXXXX...
Name: Laurence Brevard
Email: brevardandbrevard@gmail.com
Support: Extended
Expires: 6/15/2020 9:32:36 AM
WAN: http://97.77.172.242:8811
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz [38%]
RAM: 3.03G
Clips: 250 files, 65.2G/71.0G
Storage: C: +810.4G

BTW...
The RAM installed on the system is actually 16 G and Blue Iris is using just over 3 G.
The "Storage:" shown is the amount FREE on a 2 GB system drive (accelerated by a 32 GB Intel Optane module).

And... the WAN: URL does not work because port 8811 is NOT mapped through the router.

Boyturtle

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks!
I used two new build Win 10 VMs, I've running BI4, the other BI5, same cameras, same settings, same save locations. BI4 ran at approx 30-40% CPU load, while BI5 ran at 70-80% CPU load

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I used two new build Win 10 VMs, I've running BI4, the other BI5, same cameras, same settings, same save locations. BI4 ran at approx 30-40% CPU load, while BI5 ran at 70-80% CPU load
are you running in demo mode for BI5?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I was. I've binned it now, pending improvements.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
That explains it significantly higher CPU usage.... Help file explains that the overlay adds a bunch of overhead... This has been confirmed by many users and myself.

Reaction score
FWIW, I just updated one of my two BI machines to 5.0.0.56 with no issues.
Just updated my second of two BI machines to 5.0.0.56. This machine has 13 cameras vs the other just one.

I can only see one of my cameras and am not yet sure how to view the others. Alerts of the other cameras are still there but when I log in via UI3 or from the Android, I only see one camera.

I tried reimporting settings, uninstalling and reinstalling and even re-adding the cameras. Once I close BI and relaunch, only one camera remains.

Last edited: