Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not say they intentionally did it... I said the software hoses itself when uninstalling 4, which does not mean the software authors did it intentionally... but it does hose the BI5 installation, does it not??? You need to sit down and relax...
You need to relax your your passive aggressive statements about not charging an annual fee if the software will hose itself. Dont like it, speak with your wallet, go with another vms, you wont. :)

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is what you could have replied:

At the bottom of Home - Blue Iris Software, you will see a button for "1 yr. extension of support & maintenance ($34.95 one time)" this count for a BI4 to BI5 upgrade.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to relax your your passive aggressive statements about not charging an annual fee if the software will hose itself. Dont like it, speak with your wallet, go with another vms, you wont. :)
You came in to this with a condescending 'Don't be lazy'... am I not correct in that?
Noting wrong with expecting a program that is asking an annual fee to not 'render itself useless' when uninstalling the previous version, is there???

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I supplied screenshots before being accused of being 'misguided' and 'Lazy'... I asked for screenshots or links, but you doubled down in your condescension... "yes, we are all lying to you"...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You came in to this with a condescending 'Don't be lazy'... am I not correct in that?
Noting wrong with expecting a program that is asking an annual fee to not 'render itself useless' when uninstalling the previous version, is there???
That was after your passive-aggressive comment. There is no annual fee if you don't want it.

There's no need to lie about the program rendering itself useless. It does nothing of the sort.

The program still works perfectly fine there's just an issue with the profiles caring over, and you can set that up yourself if you wish. Like I said if you don't like it go find another VMS. Lots of bitching for somebody paying 30 freaking dollars... Most vms charge 50 to 150 per camera in licensing.
Go bitch to the developer in an email let's see what he tells you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I supplied screenshots before being accused of being 'misguided' and 'Lazy'... I asked for screenshots or links, but you doubled down in your condescension... "yes, we are all lying to you"...
That's because you're lazy and refused to go to the blue iris website I'm not going to be your bitch and screenshot for you. Stop being lazy.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
there's just an issue with the profiles caring over
Is expcted the solution? I have 7 cameras with 5 profiles for each one, zones, pre triggers ecc.ecc..
I spent over 4 months to set all as well :confused:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is expcted the solution? I have 7 cameras with 5 profiles for each one, zones, pre triggers ecc.ecc..
If it takes you another 4 months to set it up there something wrong with you. Is it take you no more than 20 or 30 minutes. Regardless it doesn't mean that the software is hosed. Seems like you're unsatisfied I think you should move to another VMS something that's highly reliable not like this crap. There are lots of other great options try them.

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You replies are Always so boring. Is the webmaster sure you are quite intelligent to be a staff member?
change vms, crap, shit, bi is perfect...bla bla bla. Never an usefull answer

Defending the indefensible is a sign of stupidity

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Also noted you have spent over 3 months bitching about losing your profiles.
troll.png
Don't waste another 3 months, just set them up again and move on........

btreinders

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you explain how to export from the Windows registry in order to populate all camera profiles 1-7? All aspects of every profile? Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Start menu > type "regedit" > open regedit. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software and right-click on Perspective Software. Choose Export.

btreinders

n3wb
Reaction score
Start menu > type "regedit" > open regedit. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software and right-click on Perspective Software. Choose Export.
It's a binary file. How would I use that to manually populate Version 5 profiles?

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a binary file. How would I use that to manually populate Version 5 profiles?
I don't think at this point it is possible to import from BI4 to BI5 due to the registry structure has changed in BI5. I am not saying its impossible, but to me I would just be easier and faster to just redo the profiles in BI5. Attached below is just a example of one camera, notice the "Clips" key is all just lumped together in BI4 and in BI5 each profile has its own key.

BI4
Annotation 2019-09-08 084917.jpg

BI5

Annotation 2019-09-08 084952.jpg

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Finally jumped in the deep end. :lol:

Just going through and rebuilding my Triggers in each profile for my Hikvision cameras. My Dahua kept its profiles in order. :headbang:

I have not uninstalled 4 but figure just rename the folder, I'll leave it be since I'm not using it anyway.
WebUI is working as it should, and did not loose any of my recordings.
CPU seems to have dropped a couple of % points from 9/10 to 6/7, memory has gone down by about 100M

Only thing to figure out is to get UAC Prompt for BlueIris to stop popping up. had this working in 4, modified the task but no luck.

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Upgraded to BI5 this morning. I did not uninstall BI4. I don’t see any issues... thinking this should be ok.

I didn’t have any issues. It had all of my camera settings. Every one. I decided to leverage the new inheritance features to make settings management easier and more consistent going forward. Highly recommended.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, hell, that was painless. After seeing all the horror stories I put off upgrading to BI5 until now. Following the advice here from @bp2008 it went much smoother than I expected, in fact I did not have a single issue. I set it back to "run as service" after upgrade, UI3 works, Android app works, BlueIrisViewer (java app) works - couldn't ask for a better experience. A big thank you to all you brave people who went through the pains of upgrading early on and helping iron out the kinks. I will add that I haven't uninstalled BI4 and don't plan to for quite awhile.

slodat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I went from 18% to 12% CPU and 2.86GB RAM to 2.41GB.

Running well.