Blue Iris Hardware Recommendations

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to what Q said (which is the best method, and the way NVR's and other vms do it) blue iris embed the timestamp in exported video IF you use bvr format for recording.

melabum

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman and Q2U for your respective valued information and response. We shall carry out the BlueIris installation as advised and revert with development. We are expectant that live display of the 12 cameras (the video streams) unlike the current NVR (Longvast software) will be without noticeable delay. That is without noticeable dragging of live video image which is currently at 4s.

melabum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman, we have carried out the test as advised and all seems to be good but we still observed a level of delay (time between when action takes place and when it shows or display on the Server screen or monitor). About 3 seconds delay. Also, the live view of the cameras through the remote PC (on the same LAN network with the Server) drags or jerks and not normal or smooth movement. Please, are there possible ways to overcome this challenge? Again, our client wants the remote PC to automatically show the live video at window startup unattended. However, this seems difficult as access to the Server is through the web interface therefore, requires human attendance. Please, is there possible client software or application that can be installed on the remote PC instead of web interface for the remote live video monitoring? We can easily configure the remote PC to launch the client software at startup if such software exists.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman, we have carried out the test as advised and all seems to be good but we still observed a level of delay (time between when action takes place and when it shows or display on the Server screen or monitor). About 3 seconds delay. Also, the live view of the cameras through the remote PC (on the same LAN network with the Server) drags or jerks and not normal or smooth movement. Please, are there possible ways to overcome this challenge? Again, our client wants the remote PC to automatically show the live video at window startup unattended. However, this seems difficult as access to the Server is through the web interface therefore, requires human attendance. Please, is there possible client software or application that can be installed on the remote PC instead of web interface for the remote live video monitoring? We can easily configure the remote PC to launch the client software at startup if such software exists.
Video delay of at least 2 or 3 seconds is typical with most live streaming digital video. It is a necessary evil, because it provides time for transmission problems to be corrected before they can affect the playback. Technically it is possible to stream video reliably with a much shorter delay if the network is good enough, but I don't think Blue Iris exposes any such option.

Try using Internet Explorer on default.htm. This uses a proper video streaming plugin that enables a higher frame rate than the other pages are capable of. An alternative to this is to use a remote desktop product such as Microsoft's own Remote Desktop ... or TeamViewer or Splashtop. If the remote PC is always in the same place, consider running HDMI and USB to that location so the client can use the Blue Iris application directly on a dedicated monitor.

melabum

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you bp2008. Please, how do we setup the suggested internet explorer to be on default.htm? I guess that this is targeted at reducing the jerking or dragging effect on live video streams on the remote PC.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you bp2008. Please, how do we setup the suggested internet explorer to be on default.htm? I guess that this is targeted at reducing the jerking or dragging effect on live video streams on the remote PC.
It is just a page hosted by Blue Iris. Load the URL:

Code:
http://BLUE_IRIS_SERVER_IP/default.htm
In this example, the Blue Iris server has IP address 192.168.0.132:

Click image for full size

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are 4 form factors for the elitedesk. A mini tower that can hold more drives/full size cards. A sff, that can hold a half size card, one 3.5 and one 2.5., and USDT and mini that can only hold one 2.5 drive and no cards.
So you can get the tower and be ok.
Could you remove the CD drive on the elite desk USDT and drop a 3.5" hard drive with adapter rails on it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you remove the CD drive on the elite desk USDT and drop a 3.5" hard drive with adapter rails on it?
I dont believe they sell a mount. There other issue is that hp uses a specialized adapter for power and sata to the dvd drive so you wont be able to simply plug a drive in.

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont believe they sell a mount. There other issue is that hp uses a specialized adapter for power and sata to the dvd drive so you wont be able to simply plug a drive in.
Gotcha.. I was worried that may be the case.

Can you swap the CD drive on a dell optiplex SFF for another HD? OR do they have additional sata and power to drop a small SSD drive in there for the OS? I know the specs dont show a 2.5" bay but maybe I can just stuff one in there somewhere.

thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotcha.. I was worried that may be the case.

Can you swap the CD drive on a dell optiplex SFF for another HD? OR do they have additional sata and power to drop a small SSD drive in there for the OS? I know the specs dont show a 2.5" bay but maybe I can just stuff one in there somewhere.

thanks!
If you buy the hp sff instead of the usdt, there is certainly room for a full size 3.5 drive and an ssd. I also believe you will have room to add an additional 2.5 drive if your remove the dvd drive (some units on sale on ebay dont even have dvd drives)...

Reaction score
My current BI setup is 9 cams (640x480 @ 15FPS) running off an HP Pavilion P6000 (AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.80GHz PassMark of 3565, 16GB Ram, 1GB hard disk). It saves files to a 12TB NAS, so retention isn't an issue.

I'd like to not leave that power hog running 24/7, so I've been looking at alternatives for a dedicated BI machine. I found a deal on an I5-3320M laptop (PassMark of 3998) with 8GB of ram, 256GB SSD with Win10 pro for only $240 shipped. Is this a bad idea for my current setup?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My current BI setup is 9 cams (640x480 @ 15FPS) running off an HP Pavilion P6000 (AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.80GHz PassMark of 3565, 16GB Ram, 1GB hard disk). It saves files to a 12TB NAS, so retention isn't an issue.

I'd like to not leave that power hog running 24/7, so I've been looking at alternatives for a dedicated BI machine. I found a deal on an I5-3320M laptop (PassMark of 3998) with 8GB of ram, 256GB SSD with Win10 pro for only $240 shipped. Is this a bad idea for my current setup?
Cams at 640x480 are probably streaming jpegs, which won't be able to benefit from hardware acceleration in BI. It would probably still handle the load okay, but it might get hot and noisy. Laptops are not generally the best camera servers because they aren't designed to run continuous heavy loads 24/7. They also rarely have the ability to turn back on automatically if power is lost long enough for the battery to die.

Reaction score
I am currently getting ready to replace an old server that is currently running Axis Software with 20 Axis POE cameras. Unfortunately after about 6 years 12 of them have died (209FD) so I am replacing them with Vivotek FD8166 2mp cameras and keeping the other 8 Axis as long as they continue working. From what I have read on here I am going to be using a Dell Optiplex with a Core I7 and 16GB of Ram but I am unsure of how much storage I am going to need for this. I will probably limit the cameras to 15fps and run them at 720p (h.264) and would like to keep at least 7 -10 days of footage. I think the models we buy come with a 500GB hard drive, If added a 4TB WD Purple would that handle what I am wanting to do? Also I read some stuff about add-in video cards, would the built in Intel HD work or should I look into this? Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the seller does offer a 4-year coverage for an extra $30.
seems pretty reasonable if one is worried about it...

nycevan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new setup, Only running 2 Hikvision 2332 3MP IP cameras. I am debating what to use as an NVR. I originally bought a Synology NVR216 and 2 2TB WD Purple drives but am going to return it as I think its overkill. I played with ISpy a little bit yesterday and also tried out NVS7000 (LT software I believe) which seems to work so so for me (likely a learning curve ). I was going to demo Blue Iris (but I realized I installed it too early before I had cameras setup and my trial is over already, oops!). Now my question is , I leave my i7 desktop on 24/7 already just to be available for Plex media server (very light use). I was thinking with only 2 cameras I can just run blue iris on it as well. I want to record motion, so far the ispy software I use is strange it records on motion but seems to stop before the motions actually stops. I will throw one 2TB WD Purple into my tower just to use for recording space and the rest of the PC specs are as follows:
i7 3770K 3.5G 8M
16GB Ram
System Drive 256GB SSD

I figure this should be sufficient rather then using 2 raided 2TB Purples drives and the Synology NVR216. Or I was looking at some LTS NVR options to run a stand alone unit with one of the drives saw some nice deals on ebay lightly used or open box around $100 or less range. My cameras are non US which I found out later after research on the forums but work fine so far, they are running English language and 5.6 firmware I believe. Would I have issues with these cameras on a US LTS NVR (I know LTS is basically hikvision), if I went this route. Thank you so much in advance for any advice!

PS: I'm not sure my the software I use currently saves a bunch of small clips and I know there was more to the video that should have been there so to speak, Yesterday was having a washer delivered and I know they where in my driveway a bit but didnt get it all captured, I am hoping Blue Iris is more friendly then some of the stuff I have been trying. For a two camera setup Im hoping its simple to just use my PC without any big resources being use.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you can uninstall and re-install BI to reset the clock on the demo.

WaarrEagle

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m close to pulling the trigger on this i7-4790 for $415. Not a great warranty but seems like a good deal. I do wish it had Win10 Pro for remote login purposes but I understand you can upgrade thru Windows for ~$100 or use something like LogMeIn. Any thoughts?

http://slickdeals.net/f/8629898-acer-aspire-desktop-refurb-i7-4790-12gb-ddr3-1tb-hdd-win-10-419-99-fs-deal-frenzy-via-ebay?p=83376626&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=404138&utm_content=u9870&utm_campaign=tu2&src=da_mgmt_v2_18336698