Blue Iris Hardware Recommendations

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 6634
This is 3 hikvision 3MP cams @ 20fps and 1 foscam @ 640x480 @ 15 fps using 40% cpu

if I drop the hikvision's to 1080p @ 8fps the cpu goes down to 27%, pretty happy so far, going to add more cameras after dinner
Are you using direct to disk? is this a demo BI install?

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should notice a cpu consumption decrease when running a licensed version.
Really? I know you said that just curious to why?

Also i used the auto detect and it is using a generic template for the hikvision cams and not a hikvision profile, why is that?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? I know you said that just curious to why?

Also i used the auto detect and it is using a generic template for the hikvision cams and not a hikvision profile, why is that?

I am not sure why, I have seen it myself many times (including frame rate issues until the licences is entered)..
The auto detect uses the onvif profile, which is different than the standard rtsp stream. Blue iris now supports in camera motion detection via onvif for hikvision and many other cams.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not sure why, I have seen it myself many times (including frame rate issues until the licences is entered)..
The auto detect uses the onvif profile, which is different than the standard rtsp stream. Blue iris now supports in camera motion detection via onvif for hikvision and many other cams.
What is the benefit of the camera motion detection over the blue iris motion detection?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the benefit of the camera motion detection over the blue iris motion detection?
At this time blue iris does not offer line cross detection (its in the works) but hikvision cameras do..it also may lower cpu usage but i havent tested it...

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At this time blue iris does not offer line cross detection (its in the works) but hikvision cameras do..it also may lower cpu usage but i havent tested it...
When i get my permanent pc here i will buy the software, it appears that each camera at 10fps @ 1080p adds about 5% of cpu usage so the i5 4570 will handle 8 cameras at 50% cpu, even more if the licensed BlueIris does indeed lower the cpu usage, not to bad, i also think if this pc had 8gb of ram it will help with cpu usage as well

I am really curious to see how this hardware acceleration will work.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When i get my permanent pc here i will buy the software, it appears that each camera at 10fps @ 1080p adds about 5% of cpu usage so the i5 4570 will handle 8 cameras at 50% cpu, even more if the licensed BlueIris does indeed lower the cpu usage, not to bad, i also think if this pc had 8gb of ram it will help with cpu usage as well

I am really curious to see how this hardware acceleration will work.

You can easily transfer the license key from one to another...there is a deactivation button in the about tab..

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to upgrade my PC running BI and it seems that a Dell 7020/9020 i7 Haswell OptiPlex is pretty generally recommended. What are the real differences between a 7020 and a 9020? And how do know if it is a Haswell? Many thanks!

ClipperMiami

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By way of comparison for new comers, I have the following setup:

Zotac ZBox with a 1.8 GHz Intel Atom Processor, 3GB main memory, a 256GB SSD. All recorded files storage is to folders on Dropbox so they copy offnet in the background. I'm running Windows XP with BI 4 and Blue Iris Tools. I have 14 1MP 720p cameras (4 Wi-Fi and 10 PoE) attached using the second stream (640x352) most in 5-10 FPS, two in 15 FPS. This system is accessed by the Vera Blue Iris Plugin so remote access is essentially always active. My CPU usage is normally 55-65% with peaks to 85% so its breathing hard at this level of activity. When I first set up BI this was what I had sitting around from another project so I used it not expecting to add this many cameras at the time.

Because I want to run the cameras at 1280x720 (first stream) and higher frame rates I have on order a ZBox with an Intel i7-4770 and 16GB memory which I hope will provide significant improvement.

Hope this helps new comers to make decisions about their hardware choices.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to upgrade my PC running BI and it seems that a Dell 7020/9020 i7 Haswell OptiPlex is pretty generally recommended. What are the real differences between a 7020 and a 9020? And how do know if it is a Haswell? Many thanks!

A haswell pc will have four numbers after the i5/i7 desgination and the first number will be a 4. So for example i5-4590, i7-4790 etc....
There are new skylake systems out as well but they are not available in the outlet yet. The 9020 and 7020 are virtually the same...the 9020 lists raid support however I believe the 7020 offers this as well - i dont use it.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With a 2.8mm lens mounted inside 20+ feet up on my warehouse wall, or a 4mm lens mounted outside up 26' on the side of my building exactly what am I going to miss? Clue me in here because I must be missing it. Fact is, Jack, nearly every newbie and his brother comes onto every cctv forum I've participated in and wants to run 30FPS. Fact is, they don't have to...and neither do I...unless I'm missing something. So what is it? What am I missing?
At 4 to 7 frames, if a person is running at 4mph, at 26' away with a 4mm lens snatches an apple from your apple stand you have 7 nice pictures of the guy running, but you missed him grabbing the apple. Besides the people looking like stick figures in a 1930's movie. I can take 4 photos with my phone in 1 second. 7.5 on a parking lot is good, put that on a cash register, you're an idiot... It's all good.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At 4 to 7 frames, if a person is running at 4mph, at 26' away with a 4mm lens snatches an apple from your apple stand you have 7 nice pictures of the guy running, but you missed him grabbing the apple. Besides the people looking like stick figures in a 1930's movie. I can take 4 photos with my phone in 1 second. 7.5 on a parking lot is good, put that on a cash register, you're an idiot... It's all good.
@wcrowder what FPS would you use on a cash register?

Last edited by a moderator:

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do think that he does not read the forum...no one said intel or nothing...we barley have any info...its all up in the air...
I have been reading the forums. I hear a lot of complaining, "What, requires nVidia"? "We don't need GPU support, we haven't had it before" "I want ATI FIRST or nothing" "DirectX will help the most people"...

You have to start somewhere, and nVidia with it's semi open API makes it easy. Cuda for encoding/decoding. 3 of the 4 largest VMS systems I know of support or require it. Usually at the nVidia Quadro level... And they don't cost $58.00... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been reading the forums. I here a lot of complaining, "What, requires nVidia"? "We don't need GPU support, we haven't had it before" "I want ATI FIRST or nothing" "DirectX will help the most people"...

You have to start somewhere, and nVidia with it's semi open API makes it easy. Cuda for encoding/decoding. 3 of the 4 largest VMS systems I know of support or require it. Usually at the nVidia Quadro level... And they don't cost $58.00... :)
Consider that lots of folks use ultra small form factor pc's and the fact that the majority of BI users (not power users) will have machines with intel HD, benefits it makes sense, at least to me. Every single one of my machines is running intel HD, so at least for me, intel wins. He is starting somewhere, hopefully with intel :)

beardog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman! I have waited close to 6 months to make that purchase...

I needed the Optiplex 9020 SFF (Small Form Factor) because the MT (Mini Tower) was too big and also vertical as opposed to horizontal (like the SFF).
I just was researching the 9020 SFF options for hard drives and it looks like it will only hold ONE 3.5" HDD.

My plan was to use 2 WD Purple Drives (3 GB each) - obviously I can no longer do that onboard the 9020 SFF.

Two questions...
1. Is it necessary to have my Windows OS on a separate drive than where I am recording my feeds?

2. If so, can anyone recommend how I should set up the HDD (i.e. SSD for OS and 4GB WD Purple HDD for recording?) Does anyone run BI
on a SFF PC that has gotten around this issue? (I do have a 4 bay NAS but it is connected to my File Sharing home server so I cant record
the feeds to it without jamming up my file sharing server. (or could I..? i'm stumped.)