Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

Reaction score
This seems like it might be an option with good longevity.
Yes, but still I hope we can someday be able to use our own data, ( those of us who have a weather station). I really like to be able to show my data on my camera feeds

JDinNoVA

n3wb
Reaction score
I am thinking of using wunderground or weather.com and scraping the page for the data. Been researching it and it seems like it should work, be stable and not require any API key or anything like that. I plan on diving into testing this weekend.

Anyone care to share a link to their town / city's current weather (particularly outside of the US)? Similar to this

[CODEer.com/weather/today/l]
Hera are a few in my immediate area:

Thanks, Mike!!!

Reaction score
I showed up here like everyone else, at least I'm not alone! I'm tired of wunderground's questionable quality, so... If you like getting knee deep in Raspberry PI's as well as use Blue Iris/Blue Iris Tools, I highly suggest you think about doing your own weather reporting directly to BI.

You can google for most of the info, but at a high level, I'm using an Ambient Weather station, which is then picked up by a raspberry PI with a SDR radio running RTL_433 + WeeWX. That pushes its data via MQTT to a MQTT broker (as well as wunderground and a couple others). From there, I wrote a quick and dirty python script on my BlueIris server to populate the BlueIrisTools text files with the same info that wunderground was previously giving me.

It is still rapidly changing, as I just spun this up a couple days ago. The nice part is that the weather station sends out updates once ever 16 seconds, and about 100 milleseconds later the BlueIris screens are updated. Would be nice if BlueIrisTools supported using a MQTT feed as a weather source, saving the time of a hacked together python script on Windows!

Lake Tschida

johndball

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you looked at weaather.GOV? There are some APIs. API Web Service

Weather.gov forecast REST service National Digital Forecast Database XML/REST Service - NOAA's National Weather Service
I didn't even think about this route. If you are contributing to CWOP, you can pull your data via API or XML too. And I agree, using Weather.gov or NOAA are probably better long-term solutions. Both of these are from my PWS:
NOAA (fed by MESOWEST which then populates NOAA MADIS): MESOWEST: MESOWEST STATION INTERFACE

Reaction score
If you're thinking of implementing the ability of using a weather sensor on the local network, might I suggest you add the ability to custom parse a JSON response? I have a uRad Monitor that lets you pull the data. I can help to explain the data if you need.

http://[uradmonitor's local IP]/j pulls:
{"data":{ "id":"82000111","type":"8","detector":"SI29BG","voltage":381,"cpm":26,"temperature":28.76,"humidity":46.78,"pressure":97125,"voc":1394563,"co2":2775,"noise":56.72,"ch2o":0.09,"pm25":6,"uptime": 22012}}

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I showed up here like everyone else, at least I'm not alone! I'm tired of wunderground's questionable quality, so... If you like getting knee deep in Raspberry PI's as well as use Blue Iris/Blue Iris Tools, I highly suggest you think about doing your own weather reporting directly to BI.

You can google for most of the info, but at a high level, I'm using an Ambient Weather station, which is then picked up by a raspberry PI with a SDR radio running RTL_433 + WeeWX. That pushes its data via MQTT to a MQTT broker (as well as wunderground and a couple others). From there, I wrote a quick and dirty python script on my BlueIris server to populate the BlueIrisTools text files with the same info that wunderground was previously giving me.

It is still rapidly changing, as I just spun this up a couple days ago. The nice part is that the weather station sends out updates once ever 16 seconds, and about 100 milleseconds later the BlueIris screens are updated. Would be nice if BlueIrisTools supported using a MQTT feed as a weather source, saving the time of a hacked together python script on Windows!

Lake Tschida
So you're saying I have an excuse to buy yet another RPi??? I'd be interested to know more! I have an Ambient weather station and an MQTT broker set up already. Just need the middle man setup! You should start a thread on how you set up the pi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Might I suggest a large tip jar for Mike? And all donations be categorized by the brand of PWS. Whichever group donates the most by the time you're ready to roll up your sleeves and tackle this bear, gets first dibs? Acurite 5-in-1 running "Acurite PC Connect" as the gateway between the 5-in-1 receiver and the BI PC (USB connected).

vandyman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BTW, If WU wants my data, but refuses to give me access via API, what's good for the goose.... I've disabled sharing with them. They can pound sand.
I did the same..
I also was paying $1.99 a year for their Android app.

bonsey

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can get a free API key from WU for personal use of your own PWS data.

bonsey

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've been paying attention. As I understand it, WU has discontinued free commercial access to the API keys. You can still obtain a free personal API key from within your WU account to use with your own PWS. Additionally, if you are a commercial customer, you can also pay for a commercial access package.

Reaction score
I am thinking of using wunderground or weather.com and scraping the page for the data. Been researching it and it seems like it should work, be stable and not require any API key or anything like that. I plan on diving into testing this weekend.

Anyone care to share a link to their town / city's current weather (particularly outside of the US)? Similar to this

Code:
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/10001

Mike:

Wunderground: Edmonton, Canada Weather Conditions | Weather Underground
Weather.com: Edmonton, Alberta Weather Forecast and Conditions - The Weather Channel | Weather.com
My PWS: Personal Weather Station Dashboard | Weather Underground

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Thanks

tng5737

n3wb
Reaction score
BIT quit working about a week ago - giving error msg saying it can't connet to wundeground Is this related to the WU API keys?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BIT quit working about a week ago - giving error msg saying it can't connet to wundeground Is this related to the WU API keys?
Wow. I almost did what you just did. Jumping in without first looking around. The last three pages are literally discussing this issue. Not coming down on you, as it's a miracle I didn't do the same thing. Just a heads up if you want more detail on what's going on.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just so there isn't any doubt - this was set to my personal Weather Underground station that worked fine for several years, until about a week ago

Attachments

Ch0ppa

n3wb
Reaction score

Code:
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/10001
This is my local link...

Code:
https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/today/l/f6e02e626386ebdacfd48e9d6847b7e35966ca4da88558885b2065589379bdb3