Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

eric botts

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have a weather station, but if there was a low end model that could do temp, wind, humidity I'd consider putting one up just so Blue Iris had accurate and timely updates. WUnderground has been hit of miss with me, with certain "stations" going offline and having to switch to others.
I was looking at them a year or so ago online..
Shop Amazon.com | Weather Stations

Last edited:

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have this one - Accurite 5 in 1. It comes with different options, but I did not need or want their 'desktop' display unit. I bought it with their 'hub' which can upload the data to Weather Underground and you can also view the data on any computer or laptop with a webpage. The hub connects wirelessly to the 5 in 1 and then to your network via an ethernet cable. (My hub is on the ground floor and the 5 in 1 is on top of the chimney of a 2 story house). You can spend a lot more money, but I have been pretty happy with this one. I first got started with My Accurite because I bought one of their thermometers that had 3 wireless sensors that I could place around the house and I was also able to use them with their hub

Attachments

vandyman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Hubitat smart hub that pulls in weather info.
When I get some time today I will go into more details. If I am not mistaken, it gets the info from ambient weather.
Also check out weatherstack, they have a free API setup that can be used.

KeversRoperson

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am thinking of using weather.com and scraping the page for the data. Been researching it and it seems like it should work, be stable and not require any API key or anything like that. I plan on diving into testing this weekend.

Anyone care to share a link to their town / city's current weather (particularly outside of the US)? Similar to this

Code:
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/10001
Hi Mike, 100% appreciate your work and efforts on Blue Iris Tools and really hope a fix can be found.

I am thinking of using weather.com and scraping the page for the data. Been researching it and it seems like it should work, be stable and not require any API key or anything like that. I plan on diving into testing this weekend.

Anyone care to share a link to their town / city's current weather (particularly outside of the US)? Similar to this

Code:
I'm not a programmer etc however have noticed you can generate an API key from your account area on Weather Underground if that's any use?

Thanks again for all your work!

j2a

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an Ambient Weather station that provides it's own API. Can you add an option to allow users to use whatever API/source they'd prefer?

j2a

n3wb
Reaction score

Code:

weather.com/weather/today/l/29410

skydivedani

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BIT is not going anywhere, I will release another version that uses a different weather provider.

Let's hear some suggestions regarding free weather API solutions that are readily available for the masses. WU was perfect for this because you didn't even need an API key.
For me all Weather Display supported upload options are in count, PWS weather preferred.

Thank You!

johndball

n3wb
Reaction score
It is nice having information from our own weather stations, but the best bet to get BIT's weather system working right away is to use a centralized weather system, like weather.com or wunderground. Something that can take the traffic, is global and reliable. I will however add options to use different weather stations afterward.
If you are able to scrape Weather Underground then most of us can use our own PWS information in our deployments. If we must use something other than Weather Underground then at the very least we would have a working solution.

KeversRoperson mentioned that users can generate an API from their Weather Underground dashboard. Again, not sure if it helps but if you are logged in you can visit this page to generate an API key: Loading | Weather Underground
Documentation for the Weather Undergrond API for PWS Contributors can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eKCnKXI9xnoMGRRzOL1xPCBihNV2rOet08qpE_gArAY/edit and the current conditions instructions for API can be found here: Weather Company Data - Enhanced Current Conditions - Current Conditions - PWS Observations - Current Conditions - v2

Mike you had listed in an upcoming release of BIT "-Add custom CSS and HTML to the web server pages ". If this is the case, we could probably just link straight to our PWS. For Weatherlink.com this may be as simple as using code similar to this:
HTML:
<iframe src='https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/7422809121494951bcfa70d93a581d86/signature' width='760' height='200' frameborder='0'></iframe>
which dumps an output like this: Weather Conditions - Mineral, VA - Southside - 900 Mineral AV

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
still have bit running but disabled the weather.

Thanks mike for trying to fix this quick.