Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice! You gave me a splendid idea - I created a 'blank' camera and set the overlays for images the same way - snagging images and create a camera stream that actually only has updates in it from the stock market and baseball scores! Then I added that camera as a dashboard feed back into Hubitat as a tile! The sky's the limit! I can now say 'Alexa - show News' and that 'virtual camera' comes up! here's my 'setup' of a virtual blank canvas camera: and a screen cap of it:
Annotation 2021-03-29 174346.jpg
___
Annotation 2021-03-29 173907.jpg
1617065444015.png

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Constantly getting this coming up when I start up bi tools on my windows 10 computer
1617440751915.png

Go and download it, then it prompts me to do it again and again.

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You clipped that off - what version are you? can you manually install it? stop the BITS service/app first ... its running in the task tray.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Select NO. Uncheck the Check for updates option. Exit the program, and reboot. BIT should continue to work, or at least it did for me and other members here.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. :)

Reaction score
I have tried to search for the answer, but cant find any good answer to my question...

Is there a way to have diffrent overlays, based on what profile you are using?
I have tried editing overlay text, on profile 2, but that becomes the same text on profile 1 as well..

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't used profiles much over the years - tbh. However, like what is in the Help on page 184, you can modify the inbound file with an external app like the output from a weather page like I am doing and reference it in your overlay. Since there are 99 macros, one possibility (a bit unwieldy) is to write output specific to your profile. EG; write using macro's 1-9 for profile 1, 10-19 for profile 2 etc. Use blank for content that isn't specific for that profile so it shows up null. Then call all the overlays, and get a hybrid sort of result.
You might want to submit a feature request to Blue Iris asking for Overlays by profile. I can see the potential usefulness for sure!

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone else still having issues with fetching the weather?

It hasn't worked for months but I'm coming back around to see if anything changed. I tried multiple stations in my area and all return "Error connecting to wunderground. Check your internet connection / station ID'

I can hit wunderground from chrome ( test: Personal Weather Station Dashboard | Weather Underground ).

Is it possible to get the debug password to see if it's something on my end. One note: I store the txt files in c:\BlueIrisTools\ but since the app runs as admin I don't think that that is the issue.

Also it used to work for me but stopped suddenly.

Thanks for a great app.

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I should look at scraping my LaCrosse thermometer and doing it myself.

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha. and today - BI Tools gave no results... Jinxed myself! crap!

update: Went on my server and looked at BI logs, Did a manual update and got no result! Checked my network, (nothing improper), went back and checked again. It worked. Went to Wunderground.com and got a partial loaded page, with a spinning loading icon - went to a different machine and loaded it this time wunderground was nearly completely a blank page. Refreshed the screen, and got a full screen that looked right and normal. I think something going on at the source. I'll give it a few days and review it again to see if it self-straightens itself out.
update to update: wunderground was flaking out - with firefox and adblockers I'd get partial screens and incomplete loads. Using Edge, with no addons it would load but slowly (like 30-40 secs real time). One benefit, I found a station closer to my location by more than 1 mile and without a hill between us. silver lining and all that.

Last edited:

bob.m

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sure that Mike has his reasons but it would probably be very helpful if we could enable debug when having issues. I tried wireshark but didn't see any activity and to be honest the webcams produce a lot of volume. I haven't found a way for wireshark to monitor a PID so we're kinda stuck right now with less than helpful logging.

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With all the private weather stations operating in so many areas these days, it would be nice if this tool had an option to scan the clientraw.txt file on many of those websites to gain the weather data from.

WU seems to be coming more problematic than it ever has.